Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default DIY via computer

Ideal tool for the geeks:

http://www.usbchainsaw.com/index.php
--
Peter.
it's been flattened with an angel-grinder.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 7 Jul 2009 22:50:38 +0100, PeterC
wrote:

Ideal tool for the geeks:

http://www.usbchainsaw.com/index.php

Daughter wants one! (We won't let her use her Stihl in her room). ;-)

T i m.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

PeterC writes:

Ideal tool for the geeks:

http://www.usbchainsaw.com/index.php

That's dangerous! It's got a USB A male to USB A male lead!
--
Jón Fairbairn
http://www.chaos.org.uk/~jf/Stuff-I-dont-want.html (updated 2009-01-31)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 08 Jul 2009 10:31:02 +0100, Jon Fairbairn
wrote:

PeterC writes:

Ideal tool for the geeks:

http://www.usbchainsaw.com/index.php

That's dangerous! It's got a USB A male to USB A male lead!

Probably created by an Mac Fanboi, they aren't generally good with
hardware. ;-)

T i m
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jul 7, 10:50*pm, PeterC wrote:
Ideal tool for the geeks:

http://www.usbchainsaw.com/index.php

What could it possibly cut on just 5w?

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jul 8, 11:13*am, NT wrote:
On Jul 7, 10:50*pm, PeterC wrote:

Ideal tool for the geeks:

http://www.usbchainsaw.com/index.php

What could it possibly cut on just 5w?

NT

Or even 2.5W, which is the limit (500mA @ 5V) for a USB device.

MBQ
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message
, NT
writes
On Jul 7, 10:50*pm, PeterC wrote:
Ideal tool for the geeks:

http://www.usbchainsaw.com/index.php

What could it possibly cut on just 5w?

It could prolly make a serious crease in sheet of 80gm A4

--
bumsnase
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

PeterC writes:

Ideal tool for the geeks:

http://www.usbchainsaw.com/index.php

That's dangerous! It's got a USB A male to USB A male lead!

Probably created by an Mac Fanboi, they aren't generally good with
hardware. ;-)

T i m

Doesn't male-to-male in a mac provide hardware?
--
Peter.
it's been flattened with an angel-grinder.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"geoff" wrote in message
In message
, NT
writes
On Jul 7, 10:50 pm, PeterC wrote:
Ideal tool for the geeks:

http://www.usbchainsaw.com/index.php

What could it possibly cut on just 5w?

It could prolly make a serious crease in sheet of 80gm A4

wonder if it'd be any good for trimming toe nails,

my brother will want one of these for xmas, he is hooked on collecting usb
powered stuff, got mini fridges, cup warmers, can coolers, a pizza slice
keeper warmer and so on.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jul 8, 10:46*pm, "gazz" wrote:
"geoff" wrote in message

In message
, NT
writes
On Jul 7, 10:50 pm, PeterC wrote:
Ideal tool for the geeks:

http://www.usbchainsaw.com/index.php

What could it possibly cut on just 5w?

It could prolly make a serious crease in sheet of 80gm A4

wonder if it'd be any good for trimming toe nails,

my brother will want one of these for xmas, he is hooked on collecting usb
powered stuff, got mini fridges, cup warmers, can coolers, a pizza slice
keeper warmer and so on.

to keep a pizza slice warm on 2.5w would take vacuum insulation! And
to heat one upon such power, if 1kW takes 1 minute for a slice then
2.5w might take 400 mins = about 7hrs.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Ideal tool for the geeks:

http://www.usbchainsaw.com/index.php

Angle-grinder would be more useful. Seriously.

--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"NT" wrote in message
On Jul 8, 10:46 pm, "gazz" wrote:
"geoff" wrote in message

In message
, NT
writes
On Jul 7, 10:50 pm, PeterC wrote:
Ideal tool for the geeks:

http://www.usbchainsaw.com/index.php

What could it possibly cut on just 5w?

It could prolly make a serious crease in sheet of 80gm A4

wonder if it'd be any good for trimming toe nails,

my brother will want one of these for xmas, he is hooked on collecting usb
powered stuff, got mini fridges, cup warmers, can coolers, a pizza slice
keeper warmer and so on.

to keep a pizza slice warm on 2.5w would take vacuum insulation! And
to heat one upon such power, if 1kW takes 1 minute for a slice then
2.5w might take 400 mins = about 7hrs.
-------

i never said it worked, he just loves all this crap because it usb, he loves
his computer that much,

the pizza slice keeper warmer thing is just a hot plate, same as the coke
can cooler, just long triangle shaped and the peltier is run in heat on top
mode,
but useless even if it did work, as all it'd do is keep the base warm, i'd
want the topping kept warm.. but hen again i can eat my pizza's before they
get cold, i guess his go cold as he's too busy wanking over lara croft and
forgets about the pizza.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jul 8, 10:49*pm, NT wrote:
On Jul 8, 10:46*pm, "gazz" wrote:

"geoff" wrote in message

In message
, NT
writes
On Jul 7, 10:50 pm, PeterC wrote:
Ideal tool for the geeks:

http://www.usbchainsaw.com/index.php

What could it possibly cut on just 5w?

It could prolly make a serious crease in sheet of 80gm A4

wonder if it'd be any good for trimming toe nails,

my brother will want one of these for xmas, he is hooked on collecting usb
powered stuff, got mini fridges, cup warmers, can coolers, a pizza slice
keeper warmer and so on.

to keep a pizza slice warm on 2.5w would take vacuum insulation! And
to heat one upon such power, if 1kW takes 1 minute for a slice then
2.5w might take 400 mins = about 7hrs.

Update. Apparently, a lot of desktop motherboards scrimp on components
by only applying an overall current limit across all the USB ports. So
if you have, say, 4 ports, you can pull 2A from a single connected
port without tripping the overload detection.

Laptops, I'm told, adhere more closely to the USB spec.

MBQ

Posted to uk.d-i-y

NT wrote:
On Jul 8, 10:46 pm, "gazz" wrote:
"geoff" wrote in message

In message
, NT
writes
On Jul 7, 10:50 pm, PeterC wrote:
Ideal tool for the geeks:
http://www.usbchainsaw.com/index.php
What could it possibly cut on just 5w?
It could prolly make a serious crease in sheet of 80gm A4

wonder if it'd be any good for trimming toe nails,

my brother will want one of these for xmas, he is hooked on collecting usb
powered stuff, got mini fridges, cup warmers, can coolers, a pizza slice
keeper warmer and so on.

to keep a pizza slice warm on 2.5w would take vacuum insulation! And
to heat one upon such power, if 1kW takes 1 minute for a slice then
2.5w might take 400 mins = about 7hrs.

Ah, but you simply have a huge slab of steel inside a load of
insulation..like a mini aga. And leave it on 24x7.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

NT writes:

On Jul 7, 10:50Â*pm, PeterC wrote:
Ideal tool for the geeks:

http://www.usbchainsaw.com/index.php

What could it possibly cut on just 5w?

That rather depends on whether it has a battery in it and what the duty
cycle is. I mean, in typical office life you won't want to use a
chainsaw for very long in any given week.

--
Jón Fairbairn
http://www.chaos.org.uk/~jf/Stuff-I-dont-want.html (updated 2009-01-31)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 8 Jul 2009 03:13:38 -0700 (PDT), NT wrote:

http://www.usbchainsaw.com/index.php

What could it possibly cut on just 5w?

Where do you get 5W? USB is 500mA max per port at 5v = 2.5W. B-)

Web page is broken in some peculiar way so can't see it if does use 2
ports or not.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

PeterC writes:

Ideal tool for the geeks:

http://www.usbchainsaw.com/index.php

That's dangerous! It's got a USB A male to USB A male lead!

Probably created by an Mac Fanboi, they aren't generally good with
hardware. ;-)

T i m

Doesn't male-to-male in a mac provide hardware?

I don't think male-to-male provides anything anywhere. ;-)

T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Rod is offline

Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Wed, 8 Jul 2009 03:13:38 -0700 (PDT), NT wrote:

http://www.usbchainsaw.com/index.php

What could it possibly cut on just 5w?

Where do you get 5W? USB is 500mA max per port at 5v = 2.5W. B-)

Web page is broken in some peculiar way so can't see it if does use 2
ports or not.

I thought that as well - but a Wiki check revealed:

"In Battery Charging Specification, new powering modes are added to the
USB specification. A host or hub charger can supply maximum 1.5 A when
communicating at low-speed or full-speed, maximum 900 mA when
communicating at hi-speed, no upper current limit when no communication
is taking place. A dedicated charger can supply maximum 1.8 A of
current. A portable device can draw up to 1.8 A from a dedicated
charger. The dedicated charger shorts the D+ and D- pins together and
will not send or receive any information on those lines, allowing very
simple, high current chargers to be manufactured. The increased current
(faster charging) will occur once the host/hub and devices both support
the new charging specification."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Universal_Serial_Bus#Power

--
Rod

onset.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Rod wrote:

"In Battery Charging Specification, new powering modes are added to
the USB specification. A host or hub charger can supply maximum 1.5 A
when communicating at low-speed or full-speed, maximum 900 mA when
communicating at hi-speed, no upper current limit when no
communication is taking place. A dedicated charger can supply maximum
1.8 A of current. A portable device can draw up to 1.8 A from a
dedicated charger. The dedicated charger shorts the D+ and D- pins
together and will not send or receive any information on those lines,
allowing very simple, high current chargers to be manufactured. The
increased current (faster charging) will occur once the host/hub and
devices both support the new charging specification."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Universal_Serial_Bus#Power

Even so, it's hardly going to cut down oak trees, is it?

And do you *really* want sawdust within one USB cable-length of your
computer?
--
Cheers,
Roger

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 10 Jul 2009 07:37:29 +0100, Roger Mills wrote:

The increased current (faster charging) will occur once the

host/hub
and devices both support the new charging specification."

Wonderful invent a "standard" then break it. Older kit expects to be
current limited to 100mA unless it asks for and is granted high
current. I've got kit here that charges from USB and gets decidedly
hot on on some "USB" charging ports but not when connected to real
USB ports.

Even so, it's hardly going to cut down oak trees, is it?

And do you *really* want sawdust within one USB cable-length of your
computer?

Probably no worse than the grease laden flakes of skin and clothing
fluff that gets inside anyway.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jul 10, 9:19*am, "Dave Liquorice"
wrote:
On Fri, 10 Jul 2009 07:37:29 +0100, Roger Mills wrote:
The increased current (faster charging) will occur once the

host/hub
and devices both support the new charging specification."

Wonderful invent a "standard" then break it.

Which bit of the standard do you think they've broken?

The rules for operating devices in USB2.0 are exactly the same as they
always were. They have added a standard for supporting battery
charging.

USB3.0 (a new standard) introduces higher current limits for
operating, as well as charging.

MBQ

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 10 Jul 2009 03:08:38 -0700 (PDT), Man at B&Q wrote:

Which bit of the standard do you think they've broken?

The rules for operating devices in USB2.0 are exactly the same as they
always were. They have added a standard for supporting battery
charging.

The fact that the 100mA current limit for unnegociated connections
has effectively disappearered. I may have the wrong end of the stick
but I'd have to read actual spec rather than a bit of hearsay on
Wikipedia or other raddom web pages.

But I'm under the impression that the host port actually limited the
current to 100mA unless the client asked for (and was granted) the
higher amount of 500mA. Not just that the client shouldn't try to
draw more than 100/500mA.

This battery charging addition removes such a current limit for
un-negociated connections.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Liquorice wrote:

On Fri, 10 Jul 2009 03:08:38 -0700 (PDT), Man at B&Q wrote:

Which bit of the standard do you think they've broken?

The rules for operating devices in USB2.0 are exactly the same as they
always were. They have added a standard for supporting battery
charging.

The fact that the 100mA current limit for unnegociated connections
has effectively disappearered. I may have the wrong end of the stick
but I'd have to read actual spec rather than a bit of hearsay on
Wikipedia or other raddom web pages.

I am somewhat amused that such deep analysis has been applied to
what appeared to me to be a spoof advert.

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK

Have dancing shoes, will ceilidh.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article o.uk,
"Dave Liquorice" writes:
The fact that the 100mA current limit for unnegociated connections
has effectively disappearered. I may have the wrong end of the stick
but I'd have to read actual spec rather than a bit of hearsay on
Wikipedia or other raddom web pages.

But I'm under the impression that the host port actually limited the
current to 100mA unless the client asked for (and was granted) the
higher amount of 500mA. Not just that the client shouldn't try to
draw more than 100/500mA.

I've never found a host port which actually polices the current draw.

This battery charging addition removes such a current limit for
un-negociated connections.

--
Andrew Gabriel

Help with computer Harold and Susan Vordos Metalworking 11 September 13th 08 11:23 PM
How Much Computer ? Terry Coombs Metalworking 21 June 16th 08 01:59 AM
computer (it) [email protected] UK diy 0 May 4th 08 12:00 PM
computer&tv [email protected] Electronics Repair 1 September 4th 07 04:34 PM
Using a Computer PSU without a computer simon lloyd Electronics 5 May 6th 05 11:55 PM