Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default DIY via computer

On Fri, 10 Jul 2009 03:08:38 -0700 (PDT), Man at B&Q wrote:

Which bit of the standard do you think they've broken?

The rules for operating devices in USB2.0 are exactly the same as they
always were. They have added a standard for supporting battery
charging.

The fact that the 100mA current limit for unnegociated connections
has effectively disappearered. I may have the wrong end of the stick
but I'd have to read actual spec rather than a bit of hearsay on
Wikipedia or other raddom web pages.

But I'm under the impression that the host port actually limited the
current to 100mA unless the client asked for (and was granted) the
higher amount of 500mA. Not just that the client shouldn't try to
draw more than 100/500mA.

This battery charging addition removes such a current limit for
un-negociated connections.

--
Cheers
Dave.