Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default OT computer Q

PrecisionmachinisT wrote:

"Snag" wrote in message
news

Mama's computer screen (Acer P191W 19" LCD) is sick ... screen is dim and
flickery. It's been going dark on us lately when waking it up , turn power
off then a few seconds later power on has brought it back - until today .
I have the unit apart , checking the power board for bad caps since that's
listed as a primary cause of monitor problems - found 2 bulged tops , none
leaking . I'll be visitin' the local RS for replacements , and hoping
that's all it needs .
Anybody out there have experience with repairing these ? Would I be
better off looking for a replacement at a yard sale ? We have a small CRT
monitor on it for now so the g-kids can still play their games , but it
sure ain't optimum ...

I usually smash the caps and then jiggle / wiggle / pull leaving the leads
still soldered to the board instead of clipping or de-soldering.

Then I mount the new caps a few inches away wherever is convenient using
silicone and use hookup wire to make the actual electrical connection.

That isn't a good idea for switchmode power supplies. The long leads
add inductance, which reduces the filtering, but it's your equipment.