Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Rex Rex is offline

Default Google groups down since Aug 1

Or is it just this group?
Google is the only way I can access during the day, and I kinda like
it.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Rex wrote:
Or is it just this group?
Google is the only way I can access during the day, and I kinda like
it.

Yup. The outage has been a big deal on rec.bicycles.tech
since July 30.

--Winston
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 9 Aug 2011 20:53:38 -0700, Steve Ackman
wrote:

On Tue, 09 Aug 2011 16:31:15 -0700, Winston wrote:

The outage has been a big deal on rec.bicycles.tech since July 30.

I hope Google Groups is gone for good. I wonder
if I'm the only one.

If google groups is gone for good, there goes all search capabilities
for newsgroups in general. Gawd, I miss DejaVu...

--
Fear not those who argue but those who dodge.
-- Marie Ebner von Eschenbach
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Steve Ackman wrote:
On Tue, 09 Aug 2011 16:31:15 -0700, Winston wrote:

The outage has been a big deal on rec.bicycles.tech since July 30.

I hope Google Groups is gone for good. I wonder
if I'm the only one.

The execution was less than perfect, for sure.
We may never know the challenges they are up
against in repackaging USENET like that.

I'm concerned that without a powerful corporate
sponsor, USENET might continue it's decline.

--Winston
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Rex Rex is offline

On Aug 9, 11:26*pm, Winston wrote:
Steve Ackman wrote:
On Tue, 09 Aug 2011 16:31:15 -0700, Winston wrote:

The outage has been a big deal on rec.bicycles.tech since July 30.

* *I hope Google Groups is gone for good. *I wonder
if I'm the only one.

The execution was less than perfect, for sure.
We may never know the challenges they are up
against in repackaging USENET like that.

I'm concerned that without a powerful corporate
sponsor, USENET might continue it's decline.

--Winston

It's back up. Maybe they got hacked

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Steve Ackman wrote:

(...)

Usenet has been dying since long before Google
started stealing (NOT "sponsoring") it. I'm sure it'll
still be dying 20 years from now.

May that process continue at this same rate.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Us...r_day_(en).svg

--Winston

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Steve Ackman wrote:

(...)

This is the actual svg:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...y_%28en%29.svg
(I bet you can't see it in Seamonkey 2.0.11.)

That is much prettier than the link I cited. Thanks!
Looks great in Seamonkey 2.0.11. (That'll be 0.1 'RCM Attaboy'.)

As to the content. It claims to represent posts
per day and parenthetically GB per day. It can't be
both. I'd bet on GB per day.

A safe bet.

Clarification:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/d/de/PiratesVsTemp(en).svg/500px-PiratesVsTemp(en).svg

The NUMBER of posts is probaby going down while the
volume of binary content is going up.

I DAGS but wasn't able to get a handle on the sheer
number of USENET posts v. volume.

Sometimes fewer posts are better.
Of the top 20 RCM posters, 8 live in my plonkfile.
The remainder are a continuing source of compelling
information and inspiration.

The data is
from alltopia and they do carry binaries after all.

Thanks for that link btw. :-)

Soitny.

--Winston
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Steve Ackman wrote:
On Wed, 10 Aug 2011 15:26:02 -0700, Winston wrote:
Steve Ackman wrote:

(...)

At html5test.com Seamonkey 2.0.11 scores 165 out of
450 plus 4 bonus points.

I often run into web incompatibilities using Seamonkey.
Unfortunately, the most important incompatibilities are
also present when I run Firefox (which is specifically
cited on some incompatible sites as being compatible!)

(...)

Sometimes fewer posts are better.
Of the top 20 RCM posters, 8 live in my plonkfile.

Without looking, I'll guess 6 live in mine.

You are a very patient guy.

--Winston
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 10 Aug 2011 13:25:54 -0700, Winston
wrote:

Steve Ackman wrote:

(...)

Usenet has been dying since long before Google
started stealing (NOT "sponsoring") it. I'm sure it'll
still be dying 20 years from now.

May that process continue at this same rate.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Us...r_day_(en).svg

sigh Farkin' broken URLS, I swear... http://goo.gl/yccSq
That one includes the last 9 characters.

Yeah, it's really dying, isn't it?
5Gb in '97, 8,000Gb in '011, with increases every single year.

--
Fear not those who argue but those who dodge.
-- Marie Ebner von Eschenbach

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 10 Aug 2011 16:14:45 -0700, Winston
wrote:

Steve Ackman wrote:
On Wed, 10 Aug 2011 15:26:02 -0700, Winston wrote:
Steve Ackman wrote:

(...)

At html5test.com Seamonkey 2.0.11 scores 165 out of
450 plus 4 bonus points.

I often run into web incompatibilities using Seamonkey.
Unfortunately, the most important incompatibilities are
also present when I run Firefox (which is specifically
cited on some incompatible sites as being compatible!)

(...)

Sometimes fewer posts are better.
Of the top 20 RCM posters, 8 live in my plonkfile.

Without looking, I'll guess 6 live in mine.

You are a very patient guy.

16 were in mine, and I LIKE it that way. I miss Gunner's good posts,
though. But he's in there for the far, far too many reTrolls.

--
Fear not those who argue but those who dodge.
-- Marie Ebner von Eschenbach
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Steve Ackman wrote:
On Wed, 10 Aug 2011 15:26:02 -0700, Winston wrote:
Steve Ackman wrote:

(...)

At html5test.com Seamonkey 2.0.11 scores 165 out of
450 plus 4 bonus points.

I often run into web incompatibilities using Seamonkey.
Unfortunately, the most important incompatibilities are
also present when I run Firefox (which is specifically
cited on some incompatible sites as being compatible!)

(...)

Sometimes fewer posts are better.
Of the top 20 RCM posters, 8 live in my plonkfile.

Without looking, I'll guess 6 live in mine.

You are a very patient guy.

16 were in mine, and I LIKE it that way. I miss Gunner's good posts,
though. But he's in there for the far, far too many reTrolls.

Reality sucks doesnt it?

Shrug

Gunner

--
"The danger to America is not Barack Obama but a citizenry
capable of entrusting a man like him with the Presidency.

Google groups Frank Home Repair 28 August 11th 11 06:08 AM
OT Why Google Groups ? Snag[_3_] Metalworking 5 August 10th 11 01:38 AM
wtf with google groups? Andrew Gabriel UK diy 0 November 28th 09 01:10 AM
New google Groups: Somewhat OT [email protected] Woodworking 1 December 4th 04 04:55 PM
Sorry- OT Re Google Groups- WTF? brad Woodworking 8 December 12th 03 01:21 PM