Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default OT Why Google Groups ?

I've wondered , especially lately , why anyone uses google groups to read
usenet . There are several free newsreaders out there , and at least 3 free
news servers that I personally know of . And now I've read quite a few posts
that people can't reach usenet because google is down "again" .
So why ? Can someone enlighten me ?
--
Snag
Learning keeps

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Snag" wrote in message
I've wondered , especially lately , why anyone uses google groups to read
usenet . There are several free newsreaders out there , and at least 3
free news servers that I personally know of . And now I've read quite a
few posts that people can't reach usenet because google is down "again" .
So why ? Can someone enlighten me ?
--
Snag
Learning keeps
you young !

I used it and net-based email because I could access everything from any
computer, for instance at the library, my sister's, or a borrowed one at a
client.

jsw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 9 Aug 2011 07:38:33 -0400, "Jim Wilkins"
wrote:

"Snag" wrote in message
I've wondered , especially lately , why anyone uses google groups to read
usenet . There are several free newsreaders out there , and at least 3
free news servers that I personally know of . And now I've read quite a
few posts that people can't reach usenet because google is down "again" .
So why ? Can someone enlighten me ?
--
Snag
Learning keeps
you young !

I used it and net-based email because I could access everything from any
computer, for instance at the library, my sister's, or a borrowed one at a
client.

jsw

I use it from libraries and motels for just this reason also. I
certainly would like a better solution.

Karl

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

"Snag" wrote in message
I've wondered , especially lately , why anyone uses google groups to
read
usenet . There are several free newsreaders out there , and at least 3
free news servers that I personally know of . And now I've read quite
a few posts that people can't reach usenet because google is down
"again" .
So why ? Can someone enlighten me ?
--
Snag
Learning keeps
you young !

I used it and net-based email because I could access everything from any
computer, for instance at the library, my sister's, or a borrowed one at
a client.

jsw

I use it from libraries and motels for just this reason also. I
certainly would like a better solution.

There are other web sites that mirror newsgroups (www.dsprelated.com, for
instance). I don't know how involved it is, but it may be a way to make
ad revenue.

AD REVENUE. WEB SITES. HEY IGGY!!!!

--
www.wescottdesign.com
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Snag wrote:

I've wondered , especially lately , why anyone uses google groups to
read
usenet . There are several free newsreaders out there , and at least 3
free news servers that I personally know of . And now I've read quite a
few posts that people can't reach usenet because google is down "again" .
So why ? Can someone enlighten me ?

Nobody bothers to teach them, just like the wealth of keyboard shortcuts
available to Windows users:

http://websupportblog.files.wordpres...ts-trifold.pdf

Cheers!
Rich

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Rich Grise" wrote in message
Snag wrote:

I've wondered , especially lately , why anyone uses google groups to
read
usenet . ...

Nobody bothers to teach them, just like the wealth of keyboard shortcuts
available to Windows users:

http://websupportblog.files.wordpres...ts-trifold.pdf

Rich

Yesterday I almost disabled HKCMD.EXE from starting to cut down the
unintended actions caused by inaccurate typing.

jsw

wtf with google groups? John Stumbles UK diy 9 November 29th 09 08:16 PM
wtf with google groups? [email protected] UK diy 0 November 28th 09 01:31 AM
wtf with google groups? Andrew Gabriel UK diy 0 November 28th 09 01:10 AM
Google Groups. Weatherlawyer UK diy 2 June 15th 06 07:55 PM
Sorry- OT Re Google Groups- WTF? brad Woodworking 8 December 12th 03 01:21 PM