Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Rusted 5C collets

I need to clean 60 lbs of rusted 5C collets. They are not badly
rusted, but they are rusted. At first I thought to hire a kid to do
it, but now I think that it would not help much with their insides,
anyway.

My current plan is to just dump them into a bucket of diluted muriatic
acid,then quickly washing in soda solution, then in hot water, then
letting them dry under the hot Illinois sun.

I wonder what you think about this approach.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 7/30/2011 10:44 PM, Ignoramus11951 wrote:
I need to clean 60 lbs of rusted 5C collets. They are not badly
rusted, but they are rusted. At first I thought to hire a kid to do
it, but now I think that it would not help much with their insides,
anyway.

My current plan is to just dump them into a bucket of diluted muriatic
acid,then quickly washing in soda solution, then in hot water, then
letting them dry under the hot Illinois sun.

I wonder what you think about this approach.

I have successfully used evaporust for exactly this purpose

--
www.wbnoble.com
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Bill Noble" wrote in message
On 7/30/2011 10:44 PM, Ignoramus11951 wrote:
I need to clean 60 lbs of rusted 5C collets. They are not badly
rusted, but they are rusted. At first I thought to hire a kid to do
it, but now I think that it would not help much with their insides,
anyway.

My current plan is to just dump them into a bucket of diluted muriatic
acid,then quickly washing in soda solution, then in hot water, then
letting them dry under the hot Illinois sun.

I wonder what you think about this approach.

I have successfully used evaporust for exactly this purpose

--
www.wbnoble.com

Yep pretty good stuff, worked real well cleaning up some
scales that had a light surface rust. Was around $12.00 a
gallon at harbor frieght. Just make shure there is no oil
on the collets.

Best Regards
Tom.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 31 Jul 2011 00:44:56 -0500, Ignoramus11951
wrote:

I need to clean 60 lbs of rusted 5C collets. They are not badly
rusted, but they are rusted. At first I thought to hire a kid to do
it, but now I think that it would not help much with their insides,
anyway.

My current plan is to just dump them into a bucket of diluted muriatic
acid,then quickly washing in soda solution, then in hot water, then
letting them dry under the hot Illinois sun.

I wonder what you think about this approach.

http://www.stovebolt.com/techtips/ru..._derusting.htm

http://www.oldengine.org/members/orrin/rustdemo.htm

Works better, and fairly quickly. Alligator clips and a few bars to hang
the collets in the solution.

Ive done it rather frequently... and it works rather well on all manner
of steels.

I do knock off the surface rust if its really bad with a brass or fine
wire wheel, then stuck the Stuff in the tank and let it eat the rust
away over a day or so.

Set some steel rods over your plastic tank, make up some long double J
hooks or use iron wire through the collets, hang em under the solution
completely, turn on your power supply and come back tommorow.

Gunner

--
Maxim 12: A soft answer turneth away wrath.
Once wrath is looking the other way, shoot it in the head.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 30 Jul 2011 23:33:13 -0700, "azotic" wrote:

"Bill Noble" wrote in message
[...]

And that..is going to be an issue. If they are collets..the chances of
them being soaked in oil is pretty good. If they were used with water
soluble cutting solution..there will still be Stuff on them from the
solutions other components.

Worst comes to worst..soak them in gasoline or naptha (Coleman fuel) in
a sealed drum first, rolling it around for a little bit, then letting
them drain before derusting.

Gunner

--
Maxim 12: A soft answer turneth away wrath.
Once wrath is looking the other way, shoot it in the head.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

I need to clean 60 lbs of rusted 5C collets. They are not badly
rusted, but they are rusted. At first I thought to hire a kid to do
it, but now I think that it would not help much with their insides,
anyway.

My current plan is to just dump them into a bucket of diluted muriatic
acid,then quickly washing in soda solution, then in hot water, then
letting them dry under the hot Illinois sun.

I wonder what you think about this approach.

================
How about electrolytic de rusting? There was a thread on
this NG a while back or see.

http://www.stovebolt.com/techtips/ru..._derusting.htm
Electrolysis is a technique for returning surface rust to
iron. It uses the effect of a small low voltage electric
current and a suitable electrolyte (solution). It has
advantages over the old standbys like vinegar, Coke,
muriatic acid, naval jelly, wire brushing, sand blasting,
etc. Those methods all remove material to remove the rust,
including un-rusted surfaces. With many, the metal is left
with a "pickled" look or a characteristic color and texture.
The electrolytic method removes nothing: by returning
surface rust to metallic iron, rust scale is loosened and
can be easily removed. Un-rusted metal is not affected in
any way.
snip
http://www.spaco.org/Blacksmithing/R...cDerusting.htm

http://www.instructables.com/id/Elec...val-aka-Magic/

and a bunch more on google electrolytic derusting produces
about 9.7k hits.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

I need to clean 60 lbs of rusted 5C collets. They are not badly
rusted, but they are rusted. At first I thought to hire a kid to do
it, but now I think that it would not help much with their insides,
anyway.

My current plan is to just dump them into a bucket of diluted muriatic
acid,then quickly washing in soda solution, then in hot water, then
letting them dry under the hot Illinois sun.

I wonder what you think about this approach.

http://www.stovebolt.com/techtips/ru..._derusting.htm

http://www.oldengine.org/members/orrin/rustdemo.htm

Works better, and fairly quickly. Alligator clips and a few bars to hang
the collets in the solution.

Ive done it rather frequently... and it works rather well on all manner
of steels.

Yes, but it is not practical on 60 lbs of collets

I do knock off the surface rust if its really bad with a brass or fine
wire wheel, then stuck the Stuff in the tank and let it eat the rust
away over a day or so.

Set some steel rods over your plastic tank, make up some long double J
hooks or use iron wire through the collets, hang em under the solution
completely, turn on your power supply and come back tommorow.

Gunner

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

I need to clean 60 lbs of rusted 5C collets. They are not badly
rusted, but they are rusted. At first I thought to hire a kid to do
it, but now I think that it would not help much with their insides,
anyway.

My current plan is to just dump them into a bucket of diluted muriatic
acid,then quickly washing in soda solution, then in hot water, then
letting them dry under the hot Illinois sun.

I wonder what you think about this approach.

http://www.stovebolt.com/techtips/ru..._derusting.htm

http://www.oldengine.org/members/orrin/rustdemo.htm

Works better, and fairly quickly. Alligator clips and a few bars to hang
the collets in the solution.

Ive done it rather frequently... and it works rather well on all manner
of steels.

Yes, but it is not practical on 60 lbs of collets

Why not? Hint....One doesnt do this in a coffee can.

Ive got a 18x 28" x14" plastic tub for this sort of thing..and one can
hang a ****load of 5c collets in that much space.

Hell..Ive done large machine tool parts that were simply too damned big
to use a bench grinder with a fine wire wheel on them.

I do knock off the surface rust if its really bad with a brass or fine
wire wheel, then stuck the Stuff in the tank and let it eat the rust
away over a day or so.

Set some steel rods over your plastic tank, make up some long double J
hooks or use iron wire through the collets, hang em under the solution
completely, turn on your power supply and come back tommorow.

Gunner

--
"The danger to America is not Barack Obama but a citizenry
capable of entrusting a man like him with the Presidency.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I bought a bottle of muriatic acid today, will do acid cleaning.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2011-07-31, Ignoramus5931 wrote:
I bought a bottle of muriatic acid today, will do acid cleaning.

Cleaned the whole lot (two buckets of Hardinge collets).

Since this is two buckets of collets, I could not have possibly done
anything to them individually, like electrolysis.

After muriatic acid treatment, I washed them with water with copious
amounts of soda. Then rinsed in very hot water and dumped them out to
dry, which happened quickly due to them being hot.

They are free of rust, now, but obviously look anything but new.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 31 Jul 2011 20:31:20 -0500, Ignoramus5931

On 2011-07-31, Ignoramus5931 wrote:
I bought a bottle of muriatic acid today, will do acid cleaning.

Cleaned the whole lot (two buckets of Hardinge collets).

Since this is two buckets of collets, I could not have possibly done
anything to them individually, like electrolysis.

After muriatic acid treatment, I washed them with water with copious
amounts of soda. Then rinsed in very hot water and dumped them out to
dry, which happened quickly due to them being hot.

They are free of rust, now, but obviously look anything but new.

Got any hex? Or square?

Gunner

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I was going to say shake them with walnut chips or the like.
60 is a bunch to do at any one time.

Martin

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2011-07-31, Ignoramus5931 wrote:
I bought a bottle of muriatic acid today, will do acid cleaning.

Cleaned the whole lot (two buckets of Hardinge collets).

Since this is two buckets of collets, I could not have possibly done
anything to them individually, like electrolysis.

After muriatic acid treatment, I washed them with water with copious
amounts of soda. Then rinsed in very hot water and dumped them out to
dry, which happened quickly due to them being hot.

They are free of rust, now, but obviously look anything but new.

If you don't get some oil on them they'll likly be rusty again come tomorrow
morning.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus11951 wrote:

I need to clean 60 lbs of rusted 5C collets. They are not badly
rusted, but they are rusted. At first I thought to hire a kid to do
it, but now I think that it would not help much with their insides,
anyway.

Another vote for evaporust. We have saved a small fortune salvaging flash rusted parts.

Wes
in their eyes." Dick Anthony Heller
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 7/31/2011 8:44, Ignoramus11951 wrote:
I need to clean 60 lbs of rusted 5C collets. They are not badly
rusted, but they are rusted. At first I thought to hire a kid to do
it, but now I think that it would not help much with their insides,
anyway.

My current plan is to just dump them into a bucket of diluted muriatic
acid,then quickly washing in soda solution, then in hot water, then
letting them dry under the hot Illinois sun.

I wonder what you think about this approach.

Well, might work, might corrode the collets more.. And they
might rust in the final step, unless you dump them in oil..

One easy way is to take vineger, dump more tablesalt in it than
will dissolve (saturated solution), and put the collets in that
solution.. Rust will disappear in a few hours. It won't corrode
steel so only the rust is removed.

Another way is to get a derusting chemical ready-made.. Like
"oxide remover" ultrasonic liquid.. It will remove rust and leave
a nice gray surface that won't rust so easily..

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Rex Rex is offline

On Aug 1, 11:44*am, Wes wrote:
Ignoramus11951 wrote:
I need to clean 60 lbs of rusted 5C collets. They are not badly
rusted, but they are rusted. At first I thought to hire a kid to do
it, but now I think that it would not help much with their insides,
anyway.

Another vote for evaporust. *We have saved a small fortune salvaging flash rusted parts.

Wes
in their eyes." *Dick Anthony Heller

I had a similar quantity of 5c collets. I packed them tightly into a 5-
gallon bucket, poured just enough Evaporust over them to cover (about
2 gallons, added a few more small tooling items and left them for a
week.
Came out looking near-new.