Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Rusted 5C collets

I was going to say shake them with walnut chips or the like.
60 is a bunch to do at any one time.

Martin

On 2011-07-31, Gunner wrote:
On Sun, 31 Jul 2011 00:44:56 -0500, Ignoramus11951
wrote:

I need to clean 60 lbs of rusted 5C collets. They are not badly
rusted, but they are rusted. At first I thought to hire a kid to do
it, but now I think that it would not help much with their insides,
anyway.

My current plan is to just dump them into a bucket of diluted muriatic
acid,then quickly washing in soda solution, then in hot water, then
letting them dry under the hot Illinois sun.

I wonder what you think about this approach.

http://www.stovebolt.com/techtips/ru..._derusting.htm

http://www.oldengine.org/members/orrin/rustdemo.htm

Works better, and fairly quickly. Alligator clips and a few bars to hang
the collets in the solution.

Ive done it rather frequently... and it works rather well on all manner
of steels.

Yes, but it is not practical on 60 lbs of collets

I do knock off the surface rust if its really bad with a brass or fine
wire wheel, then stuck the Stuff in the tank and let it eat the rust
away over a day or so.

Set some steel rods over your plastic tank, make up some long double J
hooks or use iron wire through the collets, hang em under the solution
completely, turn on your power supply and come back tommorow.

Gunner