Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Rusted 5C collets

On Sun, 31 Jul 2011 07:47:11 -0500, Ignoramus5931

On 2011-07-31, Gunner Asch wrote:
On Sun, 31 Jul 2011 00:44:56 -0500, Ignoramus11951
wrote:

I need to clean 60 lbs of rusted 5C collets. They are not badly
rusted, but they are rusted. At first I thought to hire a kid to do
it, but now I think that it would not help much with their insides,
anyway.

My current plan is to just dump them into a bucket of diluted muriatic
acid,then quickly washing in soda solution, then in hot water, then
letting them dry under the hot Illinois sun.

I wonder what you think about this approach.

http://www.stovebolt.com/techtips/ru..._derusting.htm

http://www.oldengine.org/members/orrin/rustdemo.htm

Works better, and fairly quickly. Alligator clips and a few bars to hang
the collets in the solution.

Ive done it rather frequently... and it works rather well on all manner
of steels.

Yes, but it is not practical on 60 lbs of collets

Why not? Hint....One doesnt do this in a coffee can.

Ive got a 18x 28" x14" plastic tub for this sort of thing..and one can
hang a ****load of 5c collets in that much space.

Hell..Ive done large machine tool parts that were simply too damned big
to use a bench grinder with a fine wire wheel on them.

I do knock off the surface rust if its really bad with a brass or fine
wire wheel, then stuck the Stuff in the tank and let it eat the rust
away over a day or so.

Set some steel rods over your plastic tank, make up some long double J
hooks or use iron wire through the collets, hang em under the solution
completely, turn on your power supply and come back tommorow.

Gunner

--
"The danger to America is not Barack Obama but a citizenry
capable of entrusting a man like him with the Presidency.