Posted to alt.home.repair

Default How to remove rusted nut from rusted carrieage bolt?

Cutting torch. AKA: blue tipped chisel, acyetlene sixteenths, gas ax.

"Grandpa Chuck" wrote in message
My wife and I recently needed to remove to very rusted nuts from
carriage bolts that we also rusted on that side, but not the other
end.

after trying drilling a hole in the head end we put and easy out in
and attempting to remove the nut from the rusted end of the bolt. We
tried eating on it with a cold chisel to no avail. Finally we were
able to split the nut with a chisel and a ballpien hammer.

When I wake up this morning I thought why not try a saws-all. First we
cut off the end protruding beyond the nut. We still couldn't bulge it
even though we had soaked it with penetrating oil last night. Then by
prying with a cheap screwdriver I was able to get the blade of the
saws-all between the metal it was bolted to and the rest of the bolt.
That enabled me to cut through the bold and the rounded end of the
carriage bolt fell off.

What I am wanting to know is if there is a simpler way to do such a
chore. The head of the carriage bolds were still very shiny and I
could not get a grip on them wish anything including various sized
Cannel Locks.
--

Grandpa Chuck
-ô¿ô-

Please grant me:
the serenity to accept the people I cannot change
the courage to change the one that I can
the wisdom to know that it is me