Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
PrecisionmachinisT PrecisionmachinisT is offline

Default Rusted 5C collets

On 2011-07-31, Ignoramus5931 wrote:
I bought a bottle of muriatic acid today, will do acid cleaning.

Cleaned the whole lot (two buckets of Hardinge collets).

Since this is two buckets of collets, I could not have possibly done
anything to them individually, like electrolysis.

After muriatic acid treatment, I washed them with water with copious
amounts of soda. Then rinsed in very hot water and dumped them out to
dry, which happened quickly due to them being hot.

They are free of rust, now, but obviously look anything but new.

If you don't get some oil on them they'll likly be rusty again come tomorrow
morning.