Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Rusted 5C collets

On Sat, 30 Jul 2011 23:33:13 -0700, "azotic" wrote:

"Bill Noble" wrote in message
On 7/30/2011 10:44 PM, Ignoramus11951 wrote:
I need to clean 60 lbs of rusted 5C collets. They are not badly
rusted, but they are rusted. At first I thought to hire a kid to do
it, but now I think that it would not help much with their insides,
anyway.

My current plan is to just dump them into a bucket of diluted muriatic
acid,then quickly washing in soda solution, then in hot water, then
letting them dry under the hot Illinois sun.

I wonder what you think about this approach.

I have successfully used evaporust for exactly this purpose

--
www.wbnoble.com

Yep pretty good stuff, worked real well cleaning up some
scales that had a light surface rust. Was around $12.00 a
gallon at harbor frieght. Just make shure there is no oil
on the collets.

Best Regards
Tom.

And that..is going to be an issue. If they are collets..the chances of
them being soaked in oil is pretty good. If they were used with water
soluble cutting solution..there will still be Stuff on them from the
solutions other components.

Worst comes to worst..soak them in gasoline or naptha (Coleman fuel) in
a sealed drum first, rolling it around for a little bit, then letting
them drain before derusting.

Gunner

--
Maxim 12: A soft answer turneth away wrath.
Once wrath is looking the other way, shoot it in the head.