Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default bearing woes

I just got the AC running so I could use the tractor mowing sudan
grass. We want to leave on vacation Sunday. So, of course, a bearing
went out in the stalk chopper.

I call it a tilt out bearing. There's two openings in the holding
flange. Tilt or rotate the bearing 90 degrees and it snaps out. With
only minutes till Mcmaster closed, I ordered this entire unit:
http://www.mcmaster.com/#2773t6/=ddmbco The mounting pillow block is
all wrong.

I couldn't find just the bearing for the life of me. Do you think the
above unit has a tilt out bearing in it? Or, do I need to run 60 miles
to a bearing house in the morning? What is the correct name for these
bearings?

Karl
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 28 Jul 2011 18:04:37 -0500, Karl Townsend
wrote:

I just got the AC running so I could use the tractor mowing sudan
grass. We want to leave on vacation Sunday. So, of course, a bearing
went out in the stalk chopper.

I call it a tilt out bearing. There's two openings in the holding
flange. Tilt or rotate the bearing 90 degrees and it snaps out. With
only minutes till Mcmaster closed, I ordered this entire unit:
http://www.mcmaster.com/#2773t6/=ddmbco The mounting pillow block is
all wrong.

I couldn't find just the bearing for the life of me. Do you think the
above unit has a tilt out bearing in it? Or, do I need to run 60 miles
to a bearing house in the morning? What is the correct name for these
bearings?

Karl

It has a removable bearing insert with a spherical OD, if that's what
you mean by "tilt out." The question is whether it matches yours. The
overall dimensions will vary depending on the bearing's load capacity.
If you pull the insert you can compare the dimensions to McM's
downloadable models. If the 2D drawings are not clear, and you can't
view the 3D models, let me know and I'll get the dims for you.

--
Ned Simmons
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

I just got it apart. Worked till 8:30 LOTS of heat, 3/4 impact,
puller, and sledge hammer. I hit the end of the puller with the sledge
so hard it bent the push bolt in it.

Insert bearing is the right term. Looks like Mcmaster doesn't carry
them. Also looks like I got a non standard bearing anyway. 1 7/16
shaft, OD of the bearing is 3.14. All insert bearings at one online
store show 2.83 on all 1 7/16 bearings. I noted all 1 1/2 inch
bearing have the 3.14 O.D.

At least now I have it apart and the right terminology. I can use the
phone to find it. And then send milady on a road trip.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

The insert in the McMaster pillow block is also 2.83 OD.

Fafnir GN 107 KRRB and SKF YAR 207-107 both have a 3.14 OD, but
different shaft locking arrangements, and perhaps different seals.

Some mfrs call them adapter bearings or wide inner ring bearings.

--
Ned Simmons
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Fafnir GN 107 KRRB and SKF YAR 207-107 both have a 3.14 OD, but
different shaft locking arrangements, and perhaps different seals.

Some mfrs call them adapter bearings or wide inner ring bearings.

Are these two bearings for 1 7/16 shaft? By chance do you have an
online link to a drawing of them?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 28 Jul 2011 21:49:31 -0500, Karl Townsend

Fafnir GN 107 KRRB and SKF YAR 207-107 both have a 3.14 OD, but
different shaft locking arrangements, and perhaps different seals.

Some mfrs call them adapter bearings or wide inner ring bearings.

Are these two bearings for 1 7/16 shaft? By chance do you have an
online link to a drawing of them?

Yes, both are 1-7/16 shaft. I looked them up the old fashioned way,
but I'm sure pdfs of the catalogs are online.

--
Ned Simmons
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jul 29, 6:28*am, Ned Simmons wrote:
On Thu, 28 Jul 2011 21:49:31 -0500, Karl Townsend

Fafnir GN 107 KRRB and SKF YAR 207-107 both have a 3.14 OD, but
different shaft locking arrangements, and perhaps different seals.

Some mfrs call them adapter bearings or wide inner ring bearings.

Are these two bearings for 1 7/16 shaft? By chance do you have an
online link to a drawing of them?

Yes, both are 1-7/16 shaft. I looked them up the old fashioned way,
but I'm sure pdfs of the catalogs are online.

--
Ned Simmons

The b-in-l has a similar stalk chopper he uses once in awhile, leaves
it out in the weather so bearings are a continual problem. Last batch
he got, he ordered from an outfit in Chicago, were Fafnir and inch.
Usually he buggers up the mounts getting them off, so he's been
ordering the works, not just the spherical bearing. He WAS ordering
them out of South Bend, but that outfit jacked up the price to nearly
$100@. The Chicago outfit was a lot cheaper. even with shipping. I
found the outfit for him with google and the part number.

Stan
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 29 Jul 2011 08:53:43 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

[...]

I got clipped for $90 this morning. Plus the cost of driving 120
miles. I had never seen this before, there's a little pin that goes
down the grease zirk hole to keep the bearing from turning. So, I had
to fabricate this.

Main job was filing and filing to get the bearing and pulley to slide
back on easily. I had got the shaft so hot that it deformed and parts
of it hardened so the file skated on the shaft. Took careful work with
the side grinder here.

Plus, I finished breaking my gear puller. I hit it as hard as I could
with a 12 lb. hammer while the assembly was red hot. That with the
puller as tight as it would go on my 3/4 impact.

I need a heavier duty puller. Is there such a thing as a puller that
would hook up to my porta power hydraulic pump?

Karl
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jul 29, 6:28 am, Ned wrote:
[...]

Yep, but I bet their not cheap.. I saw some on grainger for over 2 grand..

http://www.posilock.com/Hydraulic/3jawhyd.htm
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

[...]

Contact Alpine Bearing..and find out what they have, and get the price
under the company name Rapid Turn.

Trust me...it will be better than usual.

Gunner

--
Maxim 12: A soft answer turneth away wrath.
Once wrath is looking the other way, shoot it in the head.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Karl Townsend wrote:

Main job was filing and filing to get the bearing and pulley to slide
back on easily. I had got the shaft so hot that it deformed and parts
of it hardened so the file skated on the shaft. Took careful work with
the side grinder here.

If you hardened it so that the file is skating, this may be where it breaks one of these
days. Better make sure you have stock on hand to fab a new shaft.

Wes
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 30 Jul 2011 07:58:51 -0400, Wes
wrote:

Karl Townsend wrote:

Main job was filing and filing to get the bearing and pulley to slide
back on easily. I had got the shaft so hot that it deformed and parts
of it hardened so the file skated on the shaft. Took careful work with
the side grinder here.

If you hardened it so that the file is skating, this may be where it breaks one of these
days. Better make sure you have stock on hand to fab a new shaft.

Wes

Na, its just a surface phenomena. The torch is set slightly
carbonizing when using a rose bud so the flame don't pop out. When you
get something red hot, you get a bit of carbon in the top couple thou.
Just a light shot with a grinder takes it off. I've done this many
times.

Karl

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Karl Townsend wrote:

If you hardened it so that the file is skating, this may be where it breaks one of these
days. Better make sure you have stock on hand to fab a new shaft.

Wes

Na, its just a surface phenomena. The torch is set slightly
carbonizing when using a rose bud so the flame don't pop out. When you
get something red hot, you get a bit of carbon in the top couple thou.
Just a light shot with a grinder takes it off. I've done this many
times.

So it was low carbon steel. Glad you have it under control.

Wes
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Next time, try using an air chisel with a hammer head in it or using
an air impact gun to screw the push bolt in. Either of them set up
vibrations in the puller and shaft which help the removal.

Be sure to lube the puller bolt with extreme duty grease before using
it, too. The difference will amaze you.

--
Win first, Fight later.

--martial principle of the Samurai
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 29 Jul 2011 13:00:06 -0500, Karl Townsend
wrote:

I got clipped for $90 this morning. Plus the cost of driving 120
miles.

Ouch! That's

I had never seen this before, there's a little pin that goes
down the grease zirk hole to keep the bearing from turning. So, I had
to fabricate this.

Main job was filing and filing to get the bearing and pulley to slide
back on easily. I had got the shaft so hot that it deformed and parts
of it hardened so the file skated on the shaft. Took careful work with
the side grinder here.

Did you use a rosebud or a small/medium OA tip? I like to use the
smallest tip I can, then heat only a tiny strip of the bearing race to
get it to loosen up. It's often much quicker and easier if you take a
http://www.harborfreight.com/3-inch-...ter-47077.html
to it, either to partially disassemble it so you can get the puller on
the inner race or to slit the inner race and tap it off with a slide
hammer puller. (WHEN you can get to it.)

Plus, I finished breaking my gear puller. I hit it as hard as I could
with a 12 lb. hammer while the assembly was red hot. That with the
puller as tight as it would go on my 3/4 impact.

OK, you had an impact. Good man.

I need a heavier duty puller. Is there such a thing as a puller that
would hook up to my porta power hydraulic pump?

Yabbut, you're not going to like the price. It's easier to fab one
yourself, specific to the couple of specific tasks you have for it.
You already have the ram, so fab some drifts and a cage which will
bolt around the pulley. It'll be heavy, but it'll be heavy duty, too.

--
Win first, Fight later.

--martial principle of the Samurai

Machine a bearing?? - Ford Major Diesel 2 stage clutch bearing GeoLane at PTD dot NET Metalworking 6 March 14th 09 01:31 PM
PC woes Dave Plowman (News) UK diy 41 May 14th 08 12:38 AM
PC woes Dave Plowman (News) UK diy 33 May 12th 08 02:47 PM
well woes [email protected] Home Repair 18 November 17th 05 06:50 PM
well woes [email protected] Home Ownership 17 November 17th 05 06:50 PM