Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Karl Townsend Karl Townsend is offline

Default bearing woes

On Thu, 28 Jul 2011 20:30:44 -0400, Ned Simmons
wrote:

On Thu, 28 Jul 2011 18:04:37 -0500, Karl Townsend
wrote:

I just got the AC running so I could use the tractor mowing sudan
grass. We want to leave on vacation Sunday. So, of course, a bearing
went out in the stalk chopper.

I call it a tilt out bearing. There's two openings in the holding
flange. Tilt or rotate the bearing 90 degrees and it snaps out. With
only minutes till Mcmaster closed, I ordered this entire unit:
http://www.mcmaster.com/#2773t6/=ddmbco The mounting pillow block is
all wrong.

I couldn't find just the bearing for the life of me. Do you think the
above unit has a tilt out bearing in it? Or, do I need to run 60 miles
to a bearing house in the morning? What is the correct name for these
bearings?

Karl

It has a removable bearing insert with a spherical OD, if that's what
you mean by "tilt out." The question is whether it matches yours. The
overall dimensions will vary depending on the bearing's load capacity.
If you pull the insert you can compare the dimensions to McM's
downloadable models. If the 2D drawings are not clear, and you can't
view the 3D models, let me know and I'll get the dims for you.

I just got it apart. Worked till 8:30 LOTS of heat, 3/4 impact,
puller, and sledge hammer. I hit the end of the puller with the sledge
so hard it bent the push bolt in it.

Insert bearing is the right term. Looks like Mcmaster doesn't carry
them. Also looks like I got a non standard bearing anyway. 1 7/16
shaft, OD of the bearing is 3.14. All insert bearings at one online
store show 2.83 on all 1 7/16 bearings. I noted all 1 1/2 inch
bearing have the 3.14 O.D.

At least now I have it apart and the right terminology. I can use the
phone to find it. And then send milady on a road trip.