Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Karl Townsend Karl Townsend is offline

Default bearing woes

On Sat, 30 Jul 2011 07:58:51 -0400, Wes
wrote:

Karl Townsend wrote:

Main job was filing and filing to get the bearing and pulley to slide
back on easily. I had got the shaft so hot that it deformed and parts
of it hardened so the file skated on the shaft. Took careful work with
the side grinder here.

If you hardened it so that the file is skating, this may be where it breaks one of these
days. Better make sure you have stock on hand to fab a new shaft.

Wes

Na, its just a surface phenomena. The torch is set slightly
carbonizing when using a rose bud so the flame don't pop out. When you
get something red hot, you get a bit of carbon in the top couple thou.
Just a light shot with a grinder takes it off. I've done this many
times.

Karl