Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default bearing woes

On Fri, 29 Jul 2011 13:00:06 -0500, Karl Townsend
wrote:

I got clipped for $90 this morning. Plus the cost of driving 120
miles.

Ouch! That's

I had never seen this before, there's a little pin that goes
down the grease zirk hole to keep the bearing from turning. So, I had
to fabricate this.

Main job was filing and filing to get the bearing and pulley to slide
back on easily. I had got the shaft so hot that it deformed and parts
of it hardened so the file skated on the shaft. Took careful work with
the side grinder here.

Did you use a rosebud or a small/medium OA tip? I like to use the
smallest tip I can, then heat only a tiny strip of the bearing race to
get it to loosen up. It's often much quicker and easier if you take a
http://www.harborfreight.com/3-inch-...ter-47077.html
to it, either to partially disassemble it so you can get the puller on
the inner race or to slit the inner race and tap it off with a slide
hammer puller. (WHEN you can get to it.)

Plus, I finished breaking my gear puller. I hit it as hard as I could
with a 12 lb. hammer while the assembly was red hot. That with the
puller as tight as it would go on my 3/4 impact.

OK, you had an impact. Good man.

I need a heavier duty puller. Is there such a thing as a puller that
would hook up to my porta power hydraulic pump?

Yabbut, you're not going to like the price. It's easier to fab one
yourself, specific to the couple of specific tasks you have for it.
You already have the ram, so fab some drifts and a cage which will
bolt around the pulley. It'll be heavy, but it'll be heavy duty, too.

--
Win first, Fight later.

--martial principle of the Samurai