Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default OT relocating a deck/pool

My parents have a 4 year old 16x32 doughboy oval pool. They have torn
the liner inadvertantly cleaning it and have decided they dont want
it
anymore. They just put a salt water system in it last year. The deck
completely encirles the pool and cost a lit of money.

How hard would it be to take this apart and reuse both the deck and
pool at my house? How would you go about taking apart the deck in
pieces where it could be reassembled? I have a tractor and trailer at
my disposal. I appreciate any advice.

Do these things increase/decrease the value of your home?
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"stryped" wrote in message
My parents have a 4 year old 16x32 doughboy oval pool. They have torn
the liner inadvertantly cleaning it and have decided they dont want
it

Vinyl repairs kits are available for these which are effective, and
reasonably priced.

anymore. They just put a salt water system in it last year. The deck
completely encirles the pool and cost a lit of money.

I might be interested in the generator cell and controller if it ends up for
sale

How hard would it be to take this apart and reuse both the deck and
pool at my house?

They are not very difficult to take apart and re-assemble provided they
haven't been sitting there rusting for going on several years--I did one
about 20 years ago....bought it used off the nickel ads, no problems to
speak of...IIRC I had to patch the area where the skimmer attaches to the
sidewall before we bolted the skimmer back on was all...

How would you go about taking apart the deck in
pieces where it could be reassembled? I have a tractor and trailer at
my disposal. I appreciate any advice.

If the deck surface is made of wood and screws were used then you should be
able to salvage most if not all of the decking--although the joists might
need to be cut down a bit in which you will end up with slightly less square
footage on the platform.

Do these things increase/decrease the value of your home?

Depends a lot on the prospective buyer IMO....

FWIW, I've no doubt that even if you don't want to take it home it's still
definately worth some fairly serious money if you can line up a buyer....so
you might want to check craigslist and see what these are going for in your
area--usually, it is stipulated that the buyer needs to tear it out...

--so unless it's totally trashed then at the very least you should be able
to find someone that will haul it away for free because they also make
excellent reservoirs for rainwater irrigation systems and also can be
adapted for potable water storage in desert climates.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Steve W. wrote:

The pool shouldn't be that hard, most are designed to go together real
easy, Mark EVERY joint and part location.

Mark it - HOW?

I got called on that once too.

Might be a good chance to discuss technique?

How do you mark something you are going to take apart so that you can
put it back together again?

--

Richard Lamb
http://www.home.earthlink.net/~cavelamb
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

CaveLamb wrote:
Steve W. wrote:
The pool shouldn't be that hard, most are designed to go together real
easy, Mark EVERY joint and part location.

Mark it - HOW?

I got called on that once too.

Might be a good chance to discuss technique?

How do you mark something you are going to take apart so that you can
put it back together again?

Draw a line where everything will be cut or unbolted, and with a bold
marker, mark them

1 -|- 1
2 -|- 2

etc.

Good Luck!
Rich

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"stryped" wrote in message
My parents have a 4 year old 16x32 doughboy oval pool. They have torn
the liner inadvertantly cleaning it and have decided they dont want
it
anymore. They just put a salt water system in it last year. The deck
completely encirles the pool and cost a lit of money.

How hard would it be to take this apart and reuse both the deck and
pool at my house? How would you go about taking apart the deck in
pieces where it could be reassembled? I have a tractor and trailer at
my disposal. I appreciate any advice.

Do these things increase/decrease the value of your home?

Let me put it this way. I did it once. I would NEVER do it again. That
was just the pool. The deck would be a separate nightmare.

YMMV

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

CaveLamb wrote:
Steve W. wrote:

The pool shouldn't be that hard, most are designed to go together real
easy, Mark EVERY joint and part location.

Mark it - HOW?

They make these items called Felt Tip Markers, They can be used to draw
shapes or to write on objects....

First grab your camera and take pictures of the items as they sit.

Next pick one of the joints on the pool and start with a simple number
and arrow matching scheme.

(like Rich shows)

So you take one of the uprights, tag one end as the bottom, then mark
the top where the pieces join under the trim caps.
Mark the trim caps and sections as well, and make SURE you get all the
parts. Most of the older pools have a rim and brackets on the bottom and
they may be covered with sand/dirt. There are usually a few cross pieces
as well.

I got called on that once too.

Might be a good chance to discuss technique?

How do you mark something you are going to take apart so that you can
put it back together again?

Easy you use number/letters/combinations and if you really get stumped
add colors to the mix.

For the deck it will be easy, unless it's a huge deck you can probably
move it in 4 - 6 pieces.

--
Steve W.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jul 21, 5:18*am, "Steve W." wrote:
CaveLamb wrote:
Steve W. wrote:

The pool shouldn't be that hard, most are designed to go together real
easy, Mark EVERY joint and part location.

Recently I helped a friend remove an old round aboveground pool and
move the deck around. On his pool at least all the pieces were
identical and wouldn't need to be marked for reassembly. I cut up the
steel liner into easily handled 8' lengths with an air shear while he
held the remaining wall upright.

The crew that installed the new pool placed two planks inside and
stood the rolled-up wall on one. After pre-placing stakes, ropes and
spring clamps to guy the wall upright one slid the roll down the plank
while two others set it in the lower guide rail and attached the
ropes.

I raised and moved the ~8'x24' curved deck with floor jacks on planks.
The job didn't go well enough to describe here, though we did manage
to put it back in position without damaging it. Had it been my deck I
would have reworked it into manageable independent pieces that bolted
together, the way I built raised platforms for theater scenery.

I first did that to build the three houses in A Funny Thing Happened
on the Way to the Forum, and coincidentally watched a good performance
of it last night.

jsw
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jul 20, 4:59*pm, stryped wrote:
My parents have a 4 year old 16x32 doughboy oval pool. They have torn
the liner inadvertantly cleaning it and have decided they dont want
it
anymore. They just put a salt water system in it last year. The deck
completely encirles the pool and cost a lit of money.

How hard would it be to take this apart and reuse both the deck and
pool at my house? How would you go about taking apart the deck in
pieces where it could be reassembled? I have a tractor and trailer at
my disposal. I appreciate any advice.

Do these things increase/decrease the value of your home?

Given option A and option B, I'm the guy at work that always comes up
with Option C.

Instead of thinking about disassembling the deck, cut it into modular
sections that 4 guys can handle and get onto the trailer, where cut
sections include the decking and the joists, but maybe not the next
level down of support (larger beams) unless maybe the joists terminate
on them with joist hangers.

If you need to add some material to make the sections self-supporting
before cutting out sections, I think you'll still be ahead of the game
as you have a good shot at tying sections together halfway decently
(metal plates for the under-bits, just let the decking have a slightly-
gapped butt joint) compared to disassembling and re-assembling (and
all those individual pieces will never ever go back together quite
right).

Dave
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 20 Jul 2011 21:17:15 -0500, CaveLamb
wrote:

Steve W. wrote:

The pool shouldn't be that hard, most are designed to go together real
easy, Mark EVERY joint and part location.

Mark it - HOW?

I got called on that once too.

Might be a good chance to discuss technique?

How do you mark something you are going to take apart so that you can
put it back together again?

Permanant marker.

--
Maxim 12: A soft answer turneth away wrath.
Once wrath is looking the other way, shoot it in the head.