Posted to alt.home.repair

Default 40+ year old pool deck (kool deck)

I have a REALLY old kool deck that is beyond repair. Massive cracks
and chipping up everywhere. What I would like to do is to have it
grind down (while the slope is maintained) and have tile put on. I
hear travertine is nice for hot weather, I live in AZ.

Just wondering if anyone else has some good ideas.

Keith
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Mr. K" wrote in message
I have a REALLY old kool deck that is beyond repair. Massive cracks
and chipping up everywhere. What I would like to do is to have it
grind down (while the slope is maintained) and have tile put on. I
hear travertine is nice for hot weather, I live in AZ.

Just wondering if anyone else has some good ideas.

Keith

Tile might get slippery when wet. you want somethign rougher like flagstone
around a pool for traction.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Mr. K" wrote in message
I have a REALLY old kool deck that is beyond repair. Massive cracks
and chipping up everywhere. What I would like to do is to have it
grind down (while the slope is maintained) and have tile put on. I
hear travertine is nice for hot weather, I live in AZ.

Just wondering if anyone else has some good ideas.

Keith

What caused the massive cracks? If it is settling do you think it has
stopped? I'd want to know that before I put expensive tile on it.

My pool deck settled and I removed the loose concrete, used Bondo Household
putty to fill the cracks, and then painted with deck paint. If it settles
more I can just fill in and paint. Cost was probably $70.00. I took a
piece of the deck to HD and matched the color. It's holding up well so far.

I could see where the previous owner did some sort of recoating but it
didn't stop the settling. I'll bet he was ****ed.

od