Bruiser

Default Timber Deck on Concrete Pool

I have an inground concrete pool and I want to build a timber deck
around it. The deck will only be about 250mm from the ground to match
the height of the top of pool. My question is, is it safe to attach a
ledger board to the pool shell? The pool shell is 300mm thick
reinforced concrete, and I would drill in 50mm and insert an expanding
masonary bolt to hold the board. My pool builder has said he thinks it
will be fine and will not affect the integrity of the pool.

Has anyone else done this? Do you think this is a bad idea?

cheers

Bruiser

tom

I agree with your pool builder. The concrete is over 11 inches thick,
and your masonry bolts are going in only 2 inches. As long as you can
avoid any rebar while drilling, I think you'll be fine. Tom

Sacramento Dave

"Bruiser" wrote in message
ups.com...
I have an inground concrete pool and I want to build a timber deck
around it. The deck will only be about 250mm from the ground to match
the height of the top of pool. My question is, is it safe to attach a
ledger board to the pool shell? The pool shell is 300mm thick
reinforced concrete, and I would drill in 50mm and insert an expanding
masonary bolt to hold the board. My pool builder has said he thinks it
will be fine and will not affect the integrity of the pool.

Has anyone else done this? Do you think this is a bad idea?

cheers

Bruiser

I think structurally it would be sound. But if you are talking about a wood
ledger it will be a water trap and cause a dry rot situation. I think you
would have to design a air gap between the gunite and wood for air flow. You
could attach so kind of flashing to divert water over you ledger. You could
also use a composite material for a ledger.

SQLit

"Bruiser" wrote in message
ups.com...
I have an inground concrete pool and I want to build a timber deck
around it. The deck will only be about 250mm from the ground to match
the height of the top of pool. My question is, is it safe to attach a
ledger board to the pool shell? The pool shell is 300mm thick
reinforced concrete, and I would drill in 50mm and insert an expanding
masonary bolt to hold the board. My pool builder has said he thinks it
will be fine and will not affect the integrity of the pool.

Has anyone else done this? Do you think this is a bad idea?

cheers

Bruiser

Personally I would hesitate to put any wood next to the pool. Especially if
the wood would drain into the pool. Wood, chlorine, water, sun, just a bad
combination as far as I am concerned.