Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default filter

Does anyone know how to filter posts that have multiple newsgroups
besides rec.crafts metalworking, in Thunderbird

thanks, Id like to go back to reading metal related posts.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"T.Alan Kraus" wrote:

Does anyone know how to filter posts that have multiple newsgroups
besides rec.crafts metalworking, in Thunderbird

thanks, Id like to go back to reading metal related posts.

Dunno about Thunderbird, I use NewsProxy to handle my filtering since I
prefer the old Netscape Communicator news reader.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 19/07/2011 11:39 AM, T.Alan Kraus wrote:
Does anyone know how to filter posts that have multiple newsgroups
besides rec.crafts metalworking, in Thunderbird

thanks, Id like to go back to reading metal related posts.

I have swapped to thunderbird from OE - I thought I had the crossposts
and group blocking working but some are still getting through.

Key words filtering seems to work well at for most of Gunners mates posts:

If subject contains: liberal libtard democrat obama palin gay homo
politics nra etc etc etc then delete message.

I have searched forums etc to see how to better filter groups like
misc.survivalism & crossposts without any luck. It seems there are a lot
of people wanting the same thing but there is no neat solution yet.

I too would be interested in a better thunderbird solution (its better
than OE anyway).

Someone mentioned filtering for multiple commas (separating crossposted
NG's) but I can't work out the syntax needed to do this. Anyone?

I don't want to change to agent or another package or use a filter proxy
thingo. I tried it & found it too messy.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

In a recent thread ("Fess up time - who did it?"), Winston replied with
the following (Thunderbird filter works the same):

quote
Advise adjust your filters.
Seamonkey example:
Tools Message Filters New WhackoPolitics
[From Contains] alt.california OR
[From Contains] politics OR
[From Contains] survivalism OR
[From Contains] cities
OK

OK?

--Winston
/quote

There's one final step - chose "action". I use "Ignore Thread" so
replies are filtered too.

Bob

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

T.Alan Kraus wrote:

Does anyone know how to filter posts that have multiple newsgroups
besides rec.crafts metalworking, in Thunderbird

thanks, Id like to go back to reading metal related posts.

You have the world's best filter sitting right there on top of
your neck.

Have Fun!
Rich

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Bob Engelhardt wrote:
In a recent thread ("Fess up time - who did it?"), Winston replied with
the following (Thunderbird filter works the same):

quote
Advise adjust your filters.
Seamonkey example:
Tools Message Filters New WhackoPolitics
[From Contains] alt.california OR
[From Contains] politics OR
[From Contains] survivalism OR
[From Contains] cities
OK

OK?

--Winston
/quote

There's one final step - chose "action". I use "Ignore Thread" so
replies are filtered too.

I haven't needed to do that so far but
thanks for the heads-up.

--Winston
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2011-07-19, Pete C. wrote:

"T.Alan Kraus" wrote:

Does anyone know how to filter posts that have multiple newsgroups
besides rec.crafts metalworking, in Thunderbird

thanks, Id like to go back to reading metal related posts.

Dunno about Thunderbird, I use NewsProxy to handle my filtering since I
prefer the old Netscape Communicator news reader.

No idea what Thunderbird has for filtering -- but the primary
trick is to look at the "Newsgroups: " header, and count commas. There
will be one more newsgroup than there are commas, so if you find three
commas, you have at least four newsgroups. An example, in my
newsreader, is to look for:

Newsgroups: .*,.*,.*,.*

That is -- any number of characters after the space after the ':',
followed by a comma, followed by any number of characters again, and
another comma, followed again by any number of characters, another
comma, and (this should be optional) any number of characters again.

FWIW In the unix RE (Regular Expression) wildcarding syntax,
'.' represents any single character, and anything followed by a
'*' means any number of that, so "a*" means any number of the
letter 'a', [ab]* means any number of 'a' and or 'b", and
"[a-z]*" means any number of any character between 'a' and 'z'
(in other words, any lower case characters, any count thereof).

Obviously, other systems have other wildcarding practices.

And some don't require the "Newsgroups: " to be part of the
match string -- it is specified somehow else, such as:

"If Newsgroups contains"

or something similar.

Good Luck,
DoN.

--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Newsgroups: .*,.*,.*,.*

[...]

Thanks Don - I've added that & will see if it works.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 20/07/2011 4:35 AM, Rich Grise wrote:
T.Alan Kraus wrote:

Does anyone know how to filter posts that have multiple newsgroups
besides rec.crafts metalworking, in Thunderbird

thanks, Id like to go back to reading metal related posts.

You have the world's best filter sitting right there on top of
your neck.

Have Fun!
Rich

....but having your news agent filter for you is like having it done by
your subconcience, completely effortless.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

T.Alan Kraus wrote:

You have the world's best filter sitting right there on top of
your neck.

Have Fun!
Rich

...but having your news agent filter for you is like having it done by
your subconcience, completely effortless. *

I have to wonder if the desire for a filter correlates to reading
speed or eyesight. I read fast and see the whole page pretty much
simultaneously. Separating out the hate spam is as easy as ignoring
the ads while reading the text in a magazine. It helps that I have a
large monitor at the right distance, and the classic Google Groups
display is simple and uncluttered.

jsw
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

T.Alan Kraus wrote:

You have the world's best filter sitting right there on top of
your neck.

Have Fun!
Rich

...but having your news agent filter for you is like having it done by
your subconcience, completely effortless.

I have to wonder if the desire for a filter correlates to reading
speed or eyesight. I read fast and see the whole page pretty much
simultaneously. Separating out the hate spam is as easy as ignoring
the ads while reading the text in a magazine. It helps that I have a
large monitor at the right distance, and the classic Google Groups
display is simple and uncluttered.

jsw

I'm just easily annoyed!

You are right that both good eyes & speed of reading make it easier. I
just find people repeatedly crossposting way off topic junk rude &
annoying. Some news groups I used to read regularly have now been
abandoned due to crossposting. The odd OT post is not a problem,
sometimes even interesting.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 21/07/2011 2:16 PM, Steve Ackman wrote:
On Mon, 18 Jul 2011 20:39:10 -0700, T.Alan Kraus wrote:
Does anyone know how to filter posts that have multiple newsgroups
besides rec.crafts metalworking, in Thunderbird

thanks, Id like to go back to reading metal related posts.

In Thunderbird 5.0, I'd run the filter tool, use
Customize to create a new Header to filter on,

Newsgroups contains ,

Can you do that in T'bird 3.xx ?

Yep, easily done. This is a second reply the first was crossposted to
alt.alt.test in order to see if it worked.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 21/07/2011 7:38 PM, Dennis wrote:
On 21/07/2011 2:16 PM, Steve Ackman wrote:
On Mon, 18 Jul 2011 20:39:10 -0700, T.Alan Kraus wrote:
Does anyone know how to filter posts that have multiple newsgroups
besides rec.crafts metalworking, in Thunderbird

thanks, Id like to go back to reading metal related posts.

In Thunderbird 5.0, I'd run the filter tool, use
Customize to create a new Header to filter on,

Newsgroups contains ,

Can you do that in T'bird 3.xx ?

Yep, easily done. This is a second reply the first was crossposted to
alt.alt.test in order to see if it worked.

Bugger - I see both replies.....
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Dennis wrote:
On 21/07/2011 7:38 PM, Dennis wrote:
On 21/07/2011 2:16 PM, Steve Ackman wrote:
On Mon, 18 Jul 2011 20:39:10 -0700, T.Alan Kraus wrote:
Does anyone know how to filter posts that have multiple newsgroups
besides rec.crafts metalworking, in Thunderbird

thanks, Id like to go back to reading metal related posts.

In Thunderbird 5.0, I'd run the filter tool, use
Customize to create a new Header to filter on,

Newsgroups contains ,

Can you do that in T'bird 3.xx ?

Yep, easily done. This is a second reply the first was crossposted to
alt.alt.test in order to see if it worked.

Bugger - I see both replies.....

Denis, I don't see any other groups except RCM listed on either of thoese

--

Richard Lamb
http://www.home.earthlink.net/~cavelamb

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 7/21/2011 5:39 AM, Dennis wrote:
On 21/07/2011 7:38 PM, Dennis wrote:
On 21/07/2011 2:16 PM, Steve Ackman wrote:
On Mon, 18 Jul 2011 20:39:10 -0700, T.Alan Kraus wrote:
Does anyone know how to filter posts that have multiple newsgroups
besides rec.crafts metalworking, in Thunderbird

thanks, Id like to go back to reading metal related posts.

In Thunderbird 5.0, I'd run the filter tool, use
Customize to create a new Header to filter on,

Newsgroups contains ,

Can you do that in T'bird 3.xx ?

Yep, easily done. This is a second reply the first was crossposted to
alt.alt.test in order to see if it worked.

Bugger - I see both replies.....

I've tried the above and it doesn't seem to work for me either.

Laurie Forbes

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 21 Jul 2011 08:22:15 -0600, Laurie Forbes wrote:

I've tried the above and it doesn't seem to work for me either.

Laurie Forbes

How about this then...

Newsgroups contains *,*

I don't USE Thunderbird 5.0, but I had to download
it to try it out. (I still hate Thunderbird.)

That's the only filter I have, and the filter log
shows it (or the previous one, I'm not sure which)
acted on a bunch of messages, Dennis' crosspost being
one of them.

Best solution: switch to a real newsreader like slrn!
;-)
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Dennis wrote:
On 21/07/2011 7:38 PM, Dennis wrote:
On 21/07/2011 2:16 PM, Steve Ackman wrote:
On Mon, 18 Jul 2011 20:39:10 -0700, T.Alan Kraus wrote:
Does anyone know how to filter posts that have multiple newsgroups
besides rec.crafts metalworking, in Thunderbird

thanks, Id like to go back to reading metal related posts.

In Thunderbird 5.0, I'd run the filter tool, use
Customize to create a new Header to filter on,

Newsgroups contains ,

Can you do that in T'bird 3.xx ?

This seems like valuable info! Can I make a filter like this with the
"SeaMonkey" newsgroup reader (ver 2.0.14). It's similar to T'Bird?

I started to create a filter and added an attribute "Newgroup", but
while there was an "is", there was not "is only"
(rec.crafts.metalworking). Thanks for any help!

Bill

Yep, easily done. This is a second reply the first was crossposted to
alt.alt.test in order to see if it worked.

Bugger - I see both replies.....

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Bill wrote:
Dennis wrote:
On 21/07/2011 7:38 PM, Dennis wrote:
On 21/07/2011 2:16 PM, Steve Ackman wrote:
On Mon, 18 Jul 2011 20:39:10 -0700, T.Alan Kraus wrote:
Does anyone know how to filter posts that have multiple newsgroups
besides rec.crafts metalworking, in Thunderbird

thanks, Id like to go back to reading metal related posts.

In Thunderbird 5.0, I'd run the filter tool, use
Customize to create a new Header to filter on,

Newsgroups contains ,

Can you do that in T'bird 3.xx ?

This seems like valuable info! Can I make a filter like this with the
"SeaMonkey" newsgroup reader (ver 2.0.14). It's similar to T'Bird?

I started to create a filter and added an attribute "Newgroup", but
while there was an "is", there was not "is only"
(rec.crafts.metalworking). Thanks for any help!

Bill

I think I got it. THANK YOU (non-spammers) for this idea!

Bill

Yep, easily done. This is a second reply the first was crossposted to
alt.alt.test in order to see if it worked.

Bugger - I see both replies.....

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Bill wrote:
Bill wrote:
Dennis wrote:
[...]

Nope. The filter Newsgroup "is" rec.crafts.metalworking
doesn't seem to work (using SeaMonkey). Any ideas how to do this?

Bill

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Bill wrote:

Nope. The filter Newsgroup "is" rec.crafts.metalworking
doesn't seem to work (using SeaMonkey). Any ideas how to do this?

Bill

I ended up creating a filter: Newgroup that begin and end with
rec.crafts.metalwork -- "Watch Threads". Then viewing
"Watched Threads with Unread". Seems to work.

Is there a more direct way to filter messages intended only for this
newsgroup?

Bill
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2011-07-21, Bill wrote:

[ ... ]

Nope. The filter Newsgroup "is" rec.crafts.metalworking
doesn't seem to work (using SeaMonkey). Any ideas how to do this?

That should be "Newsgroups", not the singular "Newsgroup".
There is no singular "Newgroup" header.

Good Luck,
DoN.

--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Steve Ackman wrote:
On Thu, 21 Jul 2011 16:59:09 -0400, Bill wrote:
Bill wrote:

Nope. The filter Newsgroup "is" rec.crafts.metalworking
doesn't seem to work (using SeaMonkey). Any ideas how to do this?

Bill

I ended up creating a filter: Newgroup that begin and end with
rec.crafts.metalwork -- "Watch Threads". Then viewing
"Watched Threads with Unread". Seems to work.

Is there a more direct way to filter messages intended only for this
newsgroup?

Seamonkey 2.0.11 definitely does NOT work the same
as Thunderbird 5.0. I played with it for a bit, and
never could figure out how to get the filters to run
on the existing message base.

Figured, "Hey, the search function will use the same
RE as the filter, so I'll play around with searching."
Out of the 500 messages I put there, it found THREE
that met the criteria, but there were definitely
more than that.

Best recommendation I can think of is to try
Seamonkey 2.2 and see if the filtering has been
updated the same as Thunderbird 5.0.

Thanks for the suggestion. I didn't know there was a new version!

Bill

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2011-07-21, wrote:

[ ... ]

Nope. The filter Newsgroup "is" rec.crafts.metalworking
doesn't seem to work (using SeaMonkey). Any ideas how to do this?

That should be "Newsgroups", not the singular "Newsgroup".
There is no singular "Newgroup" header.

Good Luck,
DoN.

Thank you. Neither is giving me what I want yet. I'll try a newer
version of the software.

Bill
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2011-07-21, wrote:

[ ... ]

Nope. The filter Newsgroup "is" rec.crafts.metalworking
doesn't seem to work (using SeaMonkey). Any ideas how to do this?

That should be "Newsgroups", not the singular "Newsgroup".
There is no singular "Newgroup" header.

Good Luck,
DoN.

Thank you. Neither is giving me what I want yet. I'll try a newer
version of the software.

Bill

The newer version (2.2) of SeaMonkey seems to be working better! Thanks!

Bill

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Bill wrote:

Nope. The filter Newsgroup "is" rec.crafts.metalworking doesn't seem
to work (using SeaMonkey). Any ideas how to do this?

I ended up creating a filter: Newgroup that begin and end with
rec.crafts.metalwork -- "Watch Threads". Then viewing "Watched
Threads with Unread". Seems to work.

As DoN noted, 'Newgroup' is not a header name, 'Newsgroups' is. Next line
is an example header.
Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking

Is there a more direct way to filter messages intended only for this
newsgroup?

Seamonkey 2.0.11 definitely does NOT work the same
as Thunderbird 5.0. I played with it for a bit, and never could figure
out how to get the filters to run on the existing message base.

I use Pan rather than Seamonkey or Thunderbird for newsreading, but tried
some newsgroup filter experiments with Thunderbird. Under Tools it has
option 'Run Filters on Selected Messages', which applies filters to
currently selected messages. If Seamonkey has that option, just press
ctrl-A to select all messages on the articles tab before using it.

The Thunderbird option 'Run Filters on Folder' is grayed-out and not
available when the articles-list tab is selected. Filtering selected
messages on the articles tab works ok, except that Thunderbird 3.6 only
filters on Subject, From, and Date headers or on message size. It does
not support filtering on the Newsgroups header or on message content.

Figured, "Hey, the search function will use the same
RE as the filter, so I'll play around with searching." Out of the 500
messages I put there, it found THREE that met the criteria, but there
were definitely more than that.

Best recommendation I can think of is to try
Seamonkey 2.2 and see if the filtering has been updated the same as
Thunderbird 5.0.

--
jiw