Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
James Waldby[_3_] James Waldby[_3_] is offline

Default filter

On Thu, 21 Jul 2011 16:20:14 -0700, Steve Ackman wrote:
On Thu, 21 Jul 2011 16:59:09 -0400, Bill wrote:
Bill wrote:

Nope. The filter Newsgroup "is" rec.crafts.metalworking doesn't seem
to work (using SeaMonkey). Any ideas how to do this?

I ended up creating a filter: Newgroup that begin and end with
rec.crafts.metalwork -- "Watch Threads". Then viewing "Watched
Threads with Unread". Seems to work.

As DoN noted, 'Newgroup' is not a header name, 'Newsgroups' is. Next line
is an example header.
Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking

Is there a more direct way to filter messages intended only for this
newsgroup?

Seamonkey 2.0.11 definitely does NOT work the same
as Thunderbird 5.0. I played with it for a bit, and never could figure
out how to get the filters to run on the existing message base.

I use Pan rather than Seamonkey or Thunderbird for newsreading, but tried
some newsgroup filter experiments with Thunderbird. Under Tools it has
option 'Run Filters on Selected Messages', which applies filters to
currently selected messages. If Seamonkey has that option, just press
ctrl-A to select all messages on the articles tab before using it.

The Thunderbird option 'Run Filters on Folder' is grayed-out and not
available when the articles-list tab is selected. Filtering selected
messages on the articles tab works ok, except that Thunderbird 3.6 only
filters on Subject, From, and Date headers or on message size. It does
not support filtering on the Newsgroups header or on message content.

Figured, "Hey, the search function will use the same
RE as the filter, so I'll play around with searching." Out of the 500
messages I put there, it found THREE that met the criteria, but there
were definitely more than that.

Best recommendation I can think of is to try
Seamonkey 2.2 and see if the filtering has been updated the same as
Thunderbird 5.0.

--
jiw