Young Carpenter

Default Is there a way to filter....

Is there a way to filter Crossposting using (ahem) OE I don't Necessarily
want to block those NG directly.
Oh yeah how about Wild Cards I seem to be doing something wrong It would
help If I could Wildcard Block via some of the E-mail Address (I mean
@Cumsuck is pretty obvious)
--
Young Carpenter

plenty of practice, and you usually make way more noise than intended"

{Put the fiddler back "on" the roof to reply}

Clint Neufeld

As David has posted repeatedly, set up nfilter. It can filter for any
number of crosspostings. For example:
* drop xref:*:*:*:*This filter will drop any posts with three or more
newsgroups in the XRef line.

It works with OE.

Clint

"Young Carpenter" wrote in message
Is there a way to filter Crossposting using (ahem) OE I don't Necessarily
want to block those NG directly.
Oh yeah how about Wild Cards I seem to be doing something wrong It would
help If I could Wildcard Block via some of the E-mail Address (I mean
@Cumsuck is pretty obvious)
--
Young Carpenter

plenty of practice, and you usually make way more noise than intended"

{Put the fiddler back "on" the roof to reply}

Doug Winterburn

On Wed, 08 Oct 2003 22:21:27 +0000, Bill Thomas wrote:

Does nfilter work with Mozilla, another web browser and
and news and mail reader.

Yes for new accounts. SAProxy/spamassassin will work for email accounts.

-Doug
Clint Neufeld

It SAYS it works with Netscape and Agent. Doesn't say anything about other
news apps, except to say it won't work with AOL.

I would suspect (based on what I know of how it works, which may well be
flawed) that it will work fine with any news application that does a
standard NNTP download. It acts as a proxy news server between your app and
your ISP's news server. Basically, you configure nfilter to look to your
news server, and your news app to point to "localhost" (net-geek for "my
machine"). Simple as that! Then stick in the nfilters that David has been
sending out, and you're good to go.

Clint

Clint Neufeld wrote:
As David has posted repeatedly, set up nfilter. It can filter for any
number of crosspostings. For example:
* drop xref:*:*:*:*This filter will drop any posts with three or more
newsgroups in the XRef line.

It works with OE.

Clint

"Young Carpenter" wrote in message

Is there a way to filter Crossposting using (ahem) OE I don't

Necessarily
want to block those NG directly.
Oh yeah how about Wild Cards I seem to be doing something wrong It would
help If I could Wildcard Block via some of the E-mail Address (I mean
@Cumsuck is pretty obvious)
--
Young Carpenter

plenty of practice, and you usually make way more noise than intended"

{Put the fiddler back "on" the roof to reply}

Bill Thomas

It does not work on my PC. I have configured according
the instructions in the postings of this newsgroup.
The problem may relate to the use of a proxy server,
which nfilter should not use and which I have to
tell Mozilla to not use to access the news server.
Does a way exist to determine if nfilter uses the
proxy server? Does a way exist to tell it not to
use the proxy server? Does this matter or should I
look elsewhere for a solution?

Doug Winterburn wrote:

On Wed, 08 Oct 2003 22:21:27 +0000, Bill Thomas wrote:

Does nfilter work with Mozilla, another web browser and
and news and mail reader.

Yes for new accounts. SAProxy/spamassassin will work for email accounts.

-Doug

Doug Winterburn

On Wed, 08 Oct 2003 23:18:45 +0000, Bill Thomas wrote:

It does not work on my PC. I have configured according
the instructions in the postings of this newsgroup.
The problem may relate to the use of a proxy server,
which nfilter should not use and which I have to
tell Mozilla to not use to access the news server.
Does a way exist to determine if nfilter uses the
proxy server? Does a way exist to tell it not to
use the proxy server? Does this matter or should I
look elsewhere for a solution?

nfilter is a proxy server. Your news client should be configured to
talk to nfilter rather than your nntp server. The host name for nfilter
on your machine is localhost or 127.0.0.1. nfilter should then be
configured to talk directly to your real nntp server.

If you currently have Mozilla configured to talk directly to your news
server, there should be no problems in using nfilter if you follow the
configuration instructions on the nfilter site.

-Doug
Bill Thomas

Doug Winterburn wrote:
[...]

Thanks Doug. Your reply inspired me to do the following
configuration of Mozilla, which got it working:

Edit-Preferences-Advanced-Proxies and then add 127.0.0.1 to
the "No Proxy for:" box.

Young Carpenter

Thanks guys
My filtering on OE has gotten so bad it has started filtering me!
So this whole converstaion was moot until I found it.
Any way I have installed Nfilter
I hope it works

--
Young Carpenter

plenty of practice, and you usually make way more noise than intended"

{Put the fiddler back "on" the roof to reply}
"Young Carpenter" wrote in message
Is there a way to filter Crossposting using (ahem) OE I don't Necessarily
want to block those NG directly.
Oh yeah how about Wild Cards I seem to be doing something wrong It would
help If I could Wildcard Block via some of the E-mail Address (I mean
@Cumsuck is pretty obvious)
--
Young Carpenter

plenty of practice, and you usually make way more noise than intended"

{Put the fiddler back "on" the roof to reply}

Swingman

FWIW, it works very well with OE ... just downloaded 170 messages, and not a
single crossposted message in the bunch.

Thanks to David Leader and his tweaked to the max filter!

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 9/21/03

"Clint Neufeld" wrote in message
As David has posted repeatedly, set up nfilter. It can filter for any
number of crosspostings. For example:
* drop xref:*:*:*:*This filter will drop any posts with three or more
newsgroups in the XRef line.

It works with OE.

OT Filter question Jim C Roberts Metalworking 10 June 29th 04 02:48 PM
Oil Filter Study Gunner Metalworking 26 February 1st 04 06:00 AM
Cooker Hood Carbon Filter Life? NatterJak UK diy 4 August 25th 03 05:29 PM
Aftermarket filter for Oneida cyclone? Steve Knight Woodworking 1 July 25th 03 01:00 PM