Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Clausing Lathe Turret

I have a Clausing 6913 lathe and have a Enco turret that was designed
for this very lathe.

The turret has tool holes that hold 1.5" round tool holders, using
cams.

The question that I have is, what sort of tooling goes there? Am I
supposed to just make them, with MT3 holes or some such? And how does
one make MT3 holes, with proper reamers?

I am looking for some words of wisdom, as I have never used any
turrets.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 6/16/2011 7:21 PM, Ignoramus30422 wrote:
I have a Clausing 6913 lathe and have a Enco turret that was designed
for this very lathe.

The turret has tool holes that hold 1.5" round tool holders, using
cams.

The question that I have is, what sort of tooling goes there? Am I
supposed to just make them, with MT3 holes or some such? And how does
one make MT3 holes, with proper reamers?

I am looking for some words of wisdom, as I have never used any
turrets.

the tool holders for turret lathes have a round post to go in those
holes - there are many varieties - just search for them and you will find

--
www.wbnoble.com
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Ignoramus30422" wrote in message
I have a Clausing 6913 lathe and have a Enco turret that was designed
for this very lathe.

The turret has tool holes that hold 1.5" round tool holders, using
cams.

The question that I have is, what sort of tooling goes there? Am I
supposed to just make them, with MT3 holes or some such? And how does
one make MT3 holes, with proper reamers?

Naww a couple of morse sleeves in the #2 and #3 size that have 1-1/2 in
straight shanks is robably all you will ever need, readily available on ebay
so there's no need to make them yourself.

I am looking for some words of wisdom, as I have never used any
turrets.

Typically one would reserve #1 station for a stock stop, just a simple 1-1/2
dia rod is all that's needed there........

--After that I would suggest 2 or 3 jacobs chucks or if you already have
some 1-1/2 shank extension collet holders then use them instead...and a
criterion boring head pretty is nice to have...and several straight reducing
holders which will allow you to rough using endmills and to quickly turn ID
chamfers etc.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus30422 wrote:

I have a Clausing 6913 lathe and have a Enco turret that was designed
for this very lathe.

The turret has tool holes that hold 1.5" round tool holders, using
cams.

The question that I have is, what sort of tooling goes there? Am I
supposed to just make them, with MT3 holes or some such? And how does
one make MT3 holes, with proper reamers?

I am looking for some words of wisdom, as I have never used any
turrets.

There are a bunch of tools linked from this page for turret lathes.
http://www.boyar-schultzsmt.com/burnishing_tools.htm

Wes
in their eyes." Dick Anthony Heller
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 16 Jun 2011 21:21:48 -0500, Ignoramus30422
wrote:
snip
And how does
one make MT3 holes, with proper reamers?

snip
Easy way is to use a MT3 to straight shank adapter. Enco
has these for 16.25$US hardened and ground.

http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INSRIT?P...PMAKA=214-8709

--
Unka' George

"Gold is the money of kings,
silver is the money of gentlemen,
barter is the money of peasants,
but debt is the money of slaves"

-Norm Franz, "Money and Wealth in the New Millenium"

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Good advice. Gunner's senior moment is for drill bushings

Karl

Ahha!! Thank you Karl!!

Im still recovering from that pesky stroke..damnit.

Gunner

Wish I had a good excuse!

Karl

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2011-06-17, Ignoramus30422 wrote:
I have a Clausing 6913 lathe and have a Enco turret that was designed
for this very lathe.

The turret has tool holes that hold 1.5" round tool holders, using
cams.

The question that I have is, what sort of tooling goes there? Am I
supposed to just make them, with MT3 holes or some such? And how does
one make MT3 holes, with proper reamers?

The sort of tooling likely to be used in a turret of this sort
(which is a bit larger than mine which has 1" diameter tool holders) is:

1) Roller box tool -- turns down a large amount in a single pass.

Special ground HSS or carbide bit which cuts on the end, instead
of the side. Two rollers which act as a travelling steady rest
precisely right for that tool.

Example: eBay # 310283537557

2) Drill chuck on straight shank arbor. (normal chucks, just get
the right size arbor.

3) Floating reamer holder (self aligns).

Expensive eBay example: # 230634528945

4) Geometric style (or other brand) die head -- replaceable
chasers for specific threads -- in sets of four. Feeds onto the
end of the spinning workpiece, cutting threads, then when the
turret reaches its stop, it feeds a little more releasing a dog
clutch, and the chasers retract radially from the workpiece,
allowing you to retract it while the workpiece is still
spinning.

Example: eBay # 130507912832

5) Releasing tap holder -- holds tap until the turret reaches
its preset stop for that station, then pulls a little farther
releasing a dog clutch and letting the tap spin freely in the
holder until the lathe spindle is reversed to back the tap out.
(For large holes, there are Geometric taps similar to the dies
except that the chasers retract inward.

Example: eBay # 380337848241

6) T style knurling tool (no examples on eBay at the moment.

Holds two knurling rollers at 180 degree separation, feeds on
from end of workpiece. Straight knurls can produce diamond or
parallel spiral by turning the shanks in which the knurls are
mounted.

7) Various things which hold multiple turning tools at once to
turn several size steps in a single feed. (Usually finish cuts
on castings, I think.)

8 -- ?) Things which I have forgotten, or never knew about.

?++) Use your imagination for more tooling.

Tools with smaller shanks can be adapted at the cost of a bit of
metal stock. I've seen sleeves split so they will clamp down firmly
when the cam grips.

One worthwhile thing is a combination workpiece end stop and
retractable center drill.

You really want to have a lever style collet closer to feed
stock through the spindle for multiple parts and cutoffs. (You also
need something to keep that stock from whipping. For smaller or shorter
pieces, PVC pipe can do. All it needs to do is apply enough force to
keep the end of the stock from getting very far off center. Once it is
past a certain amount of deflection, there is nothing that will stop it,
and you want a panic bar to shut down the spindle *quickly*.

Pick up the two volume Moultrecht _Machine Shop Practice_ book
to see a lot about turret lathe work and many other impressive machine
tools.

If you look back through my previous postings, you can find one
or more examples of me describing how I make certain parts in production
mode.

Good Luck,
DoN.

--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2011-06-17, Ignoramus30422 wrote:
I have a Clausing 6913 lathe and have a Enco turret that was designed
for this very lathe.

The turret has tool holes that hold 1.5" round tool holders, using
cams.

The question that I have is, what sort of tooling goes there? Am I
supposed to just make them, with MT3 holes or some such? And how does
one make MT3 holes, with proper reamers?

I am looking for some words of wisdom, as I have never used any
turrets.

Aside from what I already posted -- one thing to be really sure
to set up right before you start working.

Index a hole to the locked position, and then check for it being
concentric with your spindle (sweep with a dial indicator of some sort).
If necessary -- adjust the gibs to bring it truly on center from front
to back. You may need to shim if the height is not right.

The manual for my Clausing bed turret (which came with a matched
serial number to the lathe bed) had instructions to bore it to final
size using a tool in the spindle. It comes slightly undersized to allow
this. Since yours is not brand new (nor was mine) and you did not say
that it came with your machine, you'll need to work on tuning the gibs
instead.

While tuning for concentricity -- check a 1-1/2" bar held in it
for being parallel to the bed as well -- as you feed the ram in and out.

Good Luck,
DoN.

--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2011-06-18, DoN. Nichols wrote:
On 2011-06-17, Ignoramus30422 wrote:
[...]

Thanks. Would this possibly be usable as a floating tap holder?

4) Geometric style (or other brand) die head -- replaceable
chasers for specific threads -- in sets of four. Feeds onto the
end of the spinning workpiece, cutting threads, then when the
turret reaches its stop, it feeds a little more releasing a dog
clutch, and the chasers retract radially from the workpiece,
allowing you to retract it while the workpiece is still
spinning.

Example: eBay # 130507912832

Very cool. Now that I think about it, I have one such head.

5) Releasing tap holder -- holds tap until the turret reaches
its preset stop for that station, then pulls a little farther
releasing a dog clutch and letting the tap spin freely in the
holder until the lathe spindle is reversed to back the tap out.
(For large holes, there are Geometric taps similar to the dies
except that the chasers retract inward.

Example: eBay # 380337848241

6) T style knurling tool (no examples on eBay at the moment.

Holds two knurling rollers at 180 degree separation, feeds on
from end of workpiece. Straight knurls can produce diamond or
parallel spiral by turning the shanks in which the knurls are
mounted.

Very nice idea.

[...]

This is very awesome. Thanks DoN. Your eBay-fu is most impressive.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"DoN. Nichols" wrote in message

the ones which I have -- which you slide into alignment after setup and
then lock down a pair of nuts to keep it there.

Several manufacturers offer them but the more common generic name is
"Brookfield Holder"

http://www.brookfieldtool.com/

Enco turret lathe Vernon[_2_] Metalworking 7 October 8th 08 05:12 AM
FS: Lathe Turret barry Metalworking 4 May 12th 05 06:01 PM
$850 for Clausing 8530 mill + Clausing 2' lathe? Steve Smith Metalworking 22 April 21st 05 03:33 PM
Pictures of Clausing 8530 mill and clausing lathe! Gunner Metalworking 0 April 20th 05 10:47 AM
Book for Turret Lathe Gunner Metalworking 0 August 2nd 03 08:56 AM