Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Clausing Lathe Turret

On 2011-06-17, Ignoramus30422 wrote:
I have a Clausing 6913 lathe and have a Enco turret that was designed
for this very lathe.

The turret has tool holes that hold 1.5" round tool holders, using
cams.

The question that I have is, what sort of tooling goes there? Am I
supposed to just make them, with MT3 holes or some such? And how does
one make MT3 holes, with proper reamers?

I am looking for some words of wisdom, as I have never used any
turrets.

Aside from what I already posted -- one thing to be really sure
to set up right before you start working.

Index a hole to the locked position, and then check for it being
concentric with your spindle (sweep with a dial indicator of some sort).
If necessary -- adjust the gibs to bring it truly on center from front
to back. You may need to shim if the height is not right.

The manual for my Clausing bed turret (which came with a matched
serial number to the lathe bed) had instructions to bore it to final
size using a tool in the spindle. It comes slightly undersized to allow
this. Since yours is not brand new (nor was mine) and you did not say
that it came with your machine, you'll need to work on tuning the gibs
instead.

While tuning for concentricity -- check a 1-1/2" bar held in it
for being parallel to the bed as well -- as you feed the ram in and out.

Good Luck,
DoN.

--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564