Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Dual Saw informercial

Awl --

Billy Mays continues to arise from the dead, and pitches the DualSaw,
graveside, along with the Cockney Magnificent, Andrew Sullivan.... TWO
hucksters, on one product. wow.......

And here is the Q: all who think the dualsaw is a completely superfluous
tool, raise dey hands.....

Ooohhh, OOOhhhhh, Me, ME!!!! EA frantically waving his hand from the
back of the class

Does anyone here use/own a dualsaw?? Does anyone see any real value to it?

The infomercial, as are all infomercials (esp. those with the erstwhile
coked-up Billy Mays -- I mean, aren't all infomercial hosts on coke or
speed??), are artful well-choreographed LyingFests, such as never revealing
that ""diamond plate"" is just soft**** 1/8" aluminum, and that cutting out
a sink countertop with ANY circular blade used above-diameter (as they must
be used) CANNOT result in the slug just dropping to the ground, etc.
Or that it can miraculously "cut all those diff. materials" is simply the
gift of carbide, etc etc.

The claim that it is the only saw that can cut backwards says that, well,
Billy et al don't unnerstand climb vs. conventional cutting, altho I will
concede that making that concept moot with counterrotating blades does make
forward/backward cutting more seamless -- to the extent that backward
cutting is even an issue. I don't think I've had the need to cut backwards
with a circular saw more than twice in 40 years.

But in my mind, the dualsaw is little more than an overly expensive trimsaw,
and really just less capable than a regular ole circular saw with a
fine-toothed blade.

In fact, you can calculate the net effect of counterrotating blades,
pitch-wise: It is just half the measured pitch on one of the blades. So a
conventional circular saw with a blade twice as fine as one of the blades on
a dual saw should give essentially the same effect. With the advantage of a
thinner cut/kerf, since you have only one blade.

More shameful milking of the consumer, social darwinism, imo.
BUT, an inneresting mechanical accomplishment, and I wonder if it has any
compelling real-world utility.

Inyway, a trip to the dualsaw website will lead you to well of expense.....
visavis a $39 71/4" Skilsaw (poss. with ball bearings!), and a $10
fine-toothed carbide blade.

Sed trip will reveal an approx price FACTOR of 5-10 TIMES -- which is
ackshooly par for the course for The New Marketing Model (aka The New
Mind****): we are being sold the same ole **** (like vits) for 10x their
normal "fair" retail price -- sometimes 30-50x the fair retail price in the
case of some vits with kitschy names..... holy ****....

Speaking of kitschy, I realized the world of rational marketing had come to
an ignominous end, and The Great Mind**** had begun, when we started giving
fuknautomobiles *names*, instead of simple identifying alphanumerics, the
way MB, bmw sitll do.
A Tundra????? WTF is a fuknTundra????? Armada???? Are we being
invaded???
Goodgawd.....

Ed H., help me out here..... I need to be held.....
--
EA

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Existential Angst" wrote in message
[...]

Ha! He's never seen my table saw, after I set it up in the dark. Lots of
smoke, but it cuts. g

[...]

g You remind me of a used-car ad in a British newspaper, re-published in
_Sports Car Graphic_ back around 1970, for a "Sunbeam Rapist." (they meant
Rapier). SCG said they were all in favor of tough names for cars, but they
thought this one was a little over the top.

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Ed Huntress" wrote in message

[...]

Oh..... THAT kind of backwards!!!!! Took me a while, but I got it....
LOL!!!!
Good ole friction cutting, eh?
Methinks running a blade in *that* kind of backwards might be useful for
sharpening a conventionally dull blade??

Ed, if you recall, I had posted on this some time ago in ahr, where those
assholes apparently dint understand climb vs. conventional cutting, AND
wouldn't believe the likes of me, until you chimed in.
Just saw the informercial again, and was just wondering if, after all this
time, there was some consensus of opinion amongst the rcm sophists.... I
mean, sophisticates.... sorry......

Also really wondering if this saw has some special practical or industrial
utility. God knows it doesn't in MY shop....

Ackshooly, if the blade were like, two feet in diameter, I could seem some
advantages to counter-rotation, where ANY kick could be a real issue, and
where angular momentum could be an issue -- and which would of course be
zero in a dual saw.
But ackshooly, gyroscopic-like angular momentum can be a plus, as it is in
the case of stabilizing linear motion in bicycling/motorcycling, so mebbe
the fact that a dual saw would have little to none is would actually be a
disadvantage. hmmmm......

Heh, they also made a big lying deal about plunge cutting..... fuuuuck, I
plunge ALL the time, with a circular saw.... goodgrief.....

[...]

How bout DateRapier.... goodgawd....
I'm understanding better now, why Wall Street, Big Industry, and our own
Congress gets such a kick out of proctologically violating©® Le
ubic®© -- we pretty much ax for it, demand it, even.
Harder, please..... A little deeper, please.... oh, and don't forget my
kids......
--
EA

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
ATP ATP is offline

"Ed Huntress" wrote in g You remind me of a
used-car ad in a British newspaper, re-published in
_Sports Car Graphic_ back around 1970, for a "Sunbeam Rapist." (they meant
Rapier). SCG said they were all in favor of tough names for cars, but they
thought this one was a little over the top.

Literally started to choke on my coffee on that one. My son saw a sign on
Hwy 28 upstate and thought it said Rapist Camp. Actually it was a Baptist
Camp....

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"ATP" wrote in message

"Ed Huntress" wrote in g You remind me of a
used-car ad in a British newspaper, re-published in
_Sports Car Graphic_ back around 1970, for a "Sunbeam Rapist." (they
meant Rapier). SCG said they were all in favor of tough names for cars,
but they thought this one was a little over the top.

Literally started to choke on my coffee on that one. My son saw a sign on
Hwy 28 upstate and thought it said Rapist Camp. Actually it was a Baptist
Camp....

Tell him to wait until his eyes start to fail on him. He'll see that kind of
thing all the time. I certainly do. And I hear the strangest damned things
on TV commercials. d8-)

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

[...]

Uh....if you're the type who likes to use crankcase drippings for cutting
oil on a lathe, you might want to give it a try. g

In fact, if you still use steel blades on a table saw (most of my blades are
steel, and more than 30 years old), you may know that setting a blade to run
backwards and then raising it carefully into an (old, worn-out, please)
sharpening stone is a common way of jointing the blade before sharpening it.

Ed, if you recall, I had posted on this some time ago in ahr, where those
assholes apparently dint understand climb vs. conventional cutting, AND
wouldn't believe the likes of me, until you chimed in.
Just saw the informercial again, and was just wondering if, after all this
time, there was some consensus of opinion amongst the rcm sophists.... I
mean, sophisticates.... sorry......

I must be watching different channels.

[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"ATP" wrote in message

"Ed Huntress" wrote in g You remind me of a
used-car ad in a British newspaper, re-published in
_Sports Car Graphic_ back around 1970, for a "Sunbeam Rapist." (they
meant Rapier). SCG said they were all in favor of tough names for cars,
but they thought this one was a little over the top.

Literally started to choke on my coffee on that one. My son saw a sign on
Hwy 28 upstate and thought it said Rapist Camp. Actually it was a Baptist
Camp....

Tell him to wait until his eyes start to fail on him. He'll see that kind
of thing all the time. I certainly do. And I hear the strangest damned
things on TV commercials. d8-)

--
Ed Huntress

I went to see Bill Cosby a little while back. One of his stories was about
him dozing off in front of the TV.
When he awoke, he thought he was listening to a show about dinosaurs that
kept using their Latin names.
It turned out to be an infomercial the kept using the phrase "erectile
dysfunction".

Paul K. Dickman

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"ATP" wrote in message

[...]

LOL! He wasn't far off. It probably was aimed at a lot of human dinosaurs.

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"ATP" wrote in message

[...]

Do you remember how that erectile dysfunction stuff started??
With effing Bob Dole doing a blitzkrieg of commercials on the cryptic
"E.D."?
It musta been 6 mos to 1 year before I had a fukn clue as to what he was
talkin about.
Pretty artful, tho. I wonder how much he was paid fer dat? Hadda been a
fortune.

What I really wanted to ask ole Dole, tho, was: How do you beat yer meat
with only one hand?
Doesn't everybody have to switch off??
--
EA

Paul K. Dickman

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Hi Ed,

Ed Huntress Inscribed thus:

Methinks running a blade in *that* kind of backwards might be useful
for sharpening a conventionally dull blade??

Uh....if you're the type who likes to use crankcase drippings for
cutting oil on a lathe, you might want to give it a try. g

In fact, if you still use steel blades on a table saw (most of my
blades are steel, and more than 30 years old), you may know that
setting a blade to run backwards and then raising it carefully into an
(old, worn-out, please) sharpening stone is a common way of jointing
the blade before sharpening it.

Please explain your terminology jointing ? its not a description
I've heard before.
Thanks:

--
Best Regards:
Baron.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Baron" wrote in message
Hi Ed,

Ed Huntress Inscribed thus:

Methinks running a blade in *that* kind of backwards might be useful
for sharpening a conventionally dull blade??

Uh....if you're the type who likes to use crankcase drippings for
cutting oil on a lathe, you might want to give it a try. g

In fact, if you still use steel blades on a table saw (most of my
blades are steel, and more than 30 years old), you may know that
setting a blade to run backwards and then raising it carefully into an
(old, worn-out, please) sharpening stone is a common way of jointing
the blade before sharpening it.

Please explain your terminology jointing ? its not a description
I've heard before.

Sure. It's the first step in sharpening many kinds of cutting blades,
particularly sawblades of many types. It refers to the process of getting
the peaks of all teeth set to the same level, so that, after sharpening,
they'll all cut the same -- or as close to that as you can get them.

Here's a Google magazine reprint that describes it and illustrates what I
was talking about:

http://tinyurl.com/62jrl2p

For straight handsaws, you typically use a fine-toothed mill file, unless
you have one of those rock-hard Sandvik saws, which requires an abrasive
stone.

"Jointing" also applies to setting the peaks of the teeth on the *sides*, as
well. These vary as a result of unevenness that results when you set the
teeth by bending them over, with your saw-set or punch and anvil jig. For
the cleanest cut and for the longest blade life, you joint the blade on it's
periphery (for a circular saw) or its top (for a straight saw) and on both
sides.

However, you usually joint the sides AFTER sharpening the blade. You just
want to touch the sides to cut the peaks down. It's less important on the
sides to have them all uniform; you just don't want any sticking out, which
will tear whatever you're cutting.

If you're serious about this, it's worth getting a good article or even a
book on sharpening. The old Maine boatbuilder, Dynamite Payson, wrote a slim
little volume on the subject that is excellent.

http://www.instantboats.com/sashaps.htm

A carefully jointed, set, and sharpened steel sawblade will cut cleaner than
all but the very best and most expensive carbide blades. For a while. g If
you get good at it, it goes pretty quickly.

--
Ed Huntress

Thanks:

--
Best Regards:
Baron.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

hi Ed,

Ed Huntress Inscribed thus:

"Baron" wrote in message
Hi Ed,

Ed Huntress Inscribed thus:

[...]

Thankyou for your explanation. I appreciate the need to ensure that the
tooth hight is the same for all the teeth on a blade. I just hadn't
heard the term before.

I will check out the url's that you provided.

Much appreciated.
--
Best Regards:
Baron.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"ATP" wrote in message

[...]

Not if you're get good at it!
Practice my son.
Mikek

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Paul K. Dickman wrote:

I went to see Bill Cosby a little while back. One of his stories was about
him dozing off in front of the TV.
When he awoke, he thought he was listening to a show about dinosaurs that
kept using their Latin names.
It turned out to be an infomercial the kept using the phrase "erectile
dysfunction".

You could fix all of the Nation's problems virtually overnight - just
replace all the hardon pills with cyanide.

Cheers!
Rich

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Existential Angst wrote:

Oh..... THAT kind of backwards!!!!! Took me a while, but I got it....
LOL!!!!
Good ole friction cutting, eh?
Methinks running a blade in *that* kind of backwards might be useful for
sharpening a conventionally dull blade??

Ed, if you recall, I had posted on this some time ago in ahr, where those
assholes apparently dint understand climb vs. conventional cutting, AND
wouldn't believe the likes of me, until you chimed in.
Just saw the informercial again, and was just wondering if, after all this
time, there was some consensus of opinion amongst the rcm sophists.... I
mean, sophisticates.... sorry......

Also really wondering if this saw has some special practical or industrial
utility. God knows it doesn't in MY shop....

They work well for vehicle extrication work. Cut faster and quieter than
other saws we use. Plus the smaller blades make it easier to avoid
cutting unwanted items. Also doesn't generate a lot of sparks while in
use. That can be a BIG thing at times..
It was the intended use IIRC.

--
Steve W.

Dual Saw -- anyone use one? Existential Angst Home Repair 56 December 16th 09 03:57 PM
Dual Saw -- anyone use one? Wes[_2_] Metalworking 0 December 11th 09 11:46 PM
Dual Saw -- anyone use one? Existential Angst Home Repair 0 December 10th 09 08:51 AM
Dual-saw terry Home Repair 6 December 4th 09 02:17 AM
Dual Sim Mobiles - Buy n compare Dual Sim Mobile Phone | Mobiles Shopping-Online Electronics Repair 0 October 14th 08 07:39 AM