Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ed Huntress Ed Huntress is offline

Default Dual Saw informercial

"Existential Angst" wrote in message
Awl --

Billy Mays continues to arise from the dead, and pitches the DualSaw,
graveside, along with the Cockney Magnificent, Andrew Sullivan.... TWO
hucksters, on one product. wow.......

And here is the Q: all who think the dualsaw is a completely superfluous
tool, raise dey hands.....

Ooohhh, OOOhhhhh, Me, ME!!!! EA frantically waving his hand from the
back of the class

Does anyone here use/own a dualsaw?? Does anyone see any real value to
it?

The infomercial, as are all infomercials (esp. those with the erstwhile
coked-up Billy Mays -- I mean, aren't all infomercial hosts on coke or
speed??), are artful well-choreographed LyingFests, such as never
revealing that ""diamond plate"" is just soft**** 1/8" aluminum, and that
cutting out a sink countertop with ANY circular blade used above-diameter
(as they must be used) CANNOT result in the slug just dropping to the
ground, etc.
Or that it can miraculously "cut all those diff. materials" is simply the
gift of carbide, etc etc.

The claim that it is the only saw that can cut backwards...

Ha! He's never seen my table saw, after I set it up in the dark. Lots of
smoke, but it cuts. g

... says that, well, Billy et al don't unnerstand climb vs. conventional
cutting, altho I will concede that making that concept moot with
counterrotating blades does make forward/backward cutting more seamless --
to the extent that backward cutting is even an issue. I don't think I've
had the need to cut backwards with a circular saw more than twice in 40
years.

But in my mind, the dualsaw is little more than an overly expensive
trimsaw, and really just less capable than a regular ole circular saw with
a fine-toothed blade.

In fact, you can calculate the net effect of counterrotating blades,
pitch-wise: It is just half the measured pitch on one of the blades. So
a conventional circular saw with a blade twice as fine as one of the
blades on a dual saw should give essentially the same effect. With the
advantage of a thinner cut/kerf, since you have only one blade.

More shameful milking of the consumer, social darwinism, imo.
BUT, an inneresting mechanical accomplishment, and I wonder if it has any
compelling real-world utility.

Inyway, a trip to the dualsaw website will lead you to well of
expense..... visavis a $39 71/4" Skilsaw (poss. with ball bearings!), and
a $10 fine-toothed carbide blade.

Sed trip will reveal an approx price FACTOR of 5-10 TIMES -- which is
ackshooly par for the course for The New Marketing Model (aka The New
Mind****): we are being sold the same ole **** (like vits) for 10x their
normal "fair" retail price -- sometimes 30-50x the fair retail price in
the case of some vits with kitschy names..... holy ****....

Speaking of kitschy, I realized the world of rational marketing had come
to an ignominous end, and The Great Mind**** had begun, when we started
giving fuknautomobiles *names*, instead of simple identifying
alphanumerics, the way MB, bmw sitll do.
A Tundra????? WTF is a fuknTundra????? Armada???? Are we being
invaded???
Goodgawd.....

Ed H., help me out here..... I need to be held.....

g You remind me of a used-car ad in a British newspaper, re-published in
_Sports Car Graphic_ back around 1970, for a "Sunbeam Rapist." (they meant
Rapier). SCG said they were all in favor of tough names for cars, but they
thought this one was a little over the top.

--
Ed Huntress