Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default New Madrid fault

As we all know, Mississippi's flood defenses are full right now and
the authorities are flooding Peter to help Paul.

It is all good and well. But, if an earthquake occurs that is similar
to what happened in New Madrid in 19th century (see Wikipedia), pretty
much all levees will collapse and a enormous area would be flooded in
an instant.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 13 May 2011 23:22:01 -0500, Ignoramus21553
wrote:

As we all know, Mississippi's flood defenses are full right now and
the authorities are flooding Peter to help Paul.

It is all good and well. But, if an earthquake occurs that is similar
to what happened in New Madrid in 19th century (see Wikipedia), pretty
much all levees will collapse and a enormous area would be flooded in
an instant.

Some particular Christians say the beginning of the end of the world
and the Rapture will start, I believe, on 5-20. Anyway, somewhere
close to that date. They say it will begin with a very big earthquake.
And the river will still be pretty high in a week. The New Madrid
quake was huge. The course of the Mississippi river was changed. It
actually flowed backward for a bit.
Time will tell...
ERS
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

As we all know, Mississippi's flood defenses are full right now and
the authorities are flooding Peter to help Paul.

It is all good and well. But, if an earthquake occurs that is similar
to what happened in New Madrid in 19th century (see Wikipedia), pretty
much all levees will collapse and a enormous area would be flooded in
an instant.

You say that like its a bad thing.....?

--
"If I say two plus two is four and a Democrat says two plus two is eight,
it's not a partial victory for me when we agree that two plus two is
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

As we all know, Mississippi's flood defenses are full right now and
the authorities are flooding Peter to help Paul.

It is all good and well. But, if an earthquake occurs that is similar
to what happened in New Madrid in 19th century (see Wikipedia),
pretty much all levees will collapse and a enormous area would be
flooded in an instant.

You say that like its a bad thing.....?

If I don't get out with my stuff it's damn sure a bad thing !!

--
Snag
Learning keeps

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 14 May 2011 11:58:33 -0500, "Snag"

wrote:

As we all know, Mississippi's flood defenses are full right now and
the authorities are flooding Peter to help Paul.

It is all good and well. But, if an earthquake occurs that is
similar to what happened in New Madrid in 19th century (see
Wikipedia), pretty much all levees will collapse and a enormous
area would be flooded in an instant.

Some particular Christians say the beginning of the end of the world
and the Rapture will start, I believe, on 5-20. Anyway, somewhere
close to that date. They say it will begin with a very big
earthquake. And the river will still be pretty high in a week. The
New Madrid quake was huge. The course of the Mississippi river was
changed. It actually flowed backward for a bit.
Time will tell...

Well, even if the worst earthquake occurs at the worst possible
moment, I do not see how flooding of a couple of states would amount
to the end of the world.

Speak for yourself , I live just a couple of miles from that river ! Been
pretty bad already around here, last thing we need is a 'quake to shake
things up!

Ever notice that nice rich soil? Kinda like living close to the ocean
where the whole landscape is flat, that's cause it floods. All I have
is freezing to death and need to hang a couple of mirrors that are
just leaning against the walls. Maybe North Carolina next time.

SW
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

As we all know, Mississippi's flood defenses are full right now and
the authorities are flooding Peter to help Paul.

It is all good and well. But, if an earthquake occurs that is similar
to what happened in New Madrid in 19th century (see Wikipedia),
pretty much all levees will collapse and a enormous area would be
flooded in an instant.

You say that like its a bad thing.....?

If I don't get out with my stuff it's damn sure a bad thing !!

You bought property less than 100' higher than that river?

Are you out of your mind?????!!!

Gunner

--
"If I say two plus two is four and a Democrat says two plus two is eight,
it's not a partial victory for me when we agree that two plus two is
six. " Jonah Goldberg (modified)
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

As we all know, Mississippi's flood defenses are full right now and
the authorities are flooding Peter to help Paul.

It is all good and well. But, if an earthquake occurs that is
similar to what happened in New Madrid in 19th century (see
Wikipedia), pretty much all levees will collapse and a enormous
area would be flooded in an instant.

You say that like its a bad thing.....?

If I don't get out with my stuff it's damn sure a bad thing !!

You bought property less than 100' higher than that river?

Are you out of your mind?????!!!

Gunner

I think we're actually about 65-70 feet higher than the river at our place
.. And truly we're about 4 miles from the river , though the Wolf River is
only a couple of miles . I'm not nearly as worried about the flooding as I
am about the potential for looters... but that may change soon too , it's
starting to look like this is the year of The Big Move . We're both
unemployed now , and looking for jobs up in north central Arkansas , where
we have land . And it's a looooooonnnnnng way from anything that can flood
us out !
--
Snag
Learning keeps

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Gunner Asch wrote:

You bought property less than 100' higher than that river?

Are you out of your mind?????!!!

Gunner

Said the California guy living on a dozen fault lines...
--

Richard Lamb
http://www.home.earthlink.net/~cavelamb

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

As we all know, Mississippi's flood defenses are full right now and
the authorities are flooding Peter to help Paul.

It is all good and well. But, if an earthquake occurs that is similar
to what happened in New Madrid in 19th century (see Wikipedia),
pretty much all levees will collapse and a enormous area would be
flooded in an instant.

You say that like its a bad thing.....?

If I don't get out with my stuff it's damn sure a bad thing !!

You bought property less than 100' higher than that river?

Are you out of your mind?????!!!

Gunner

Mine is 56 feet above the nearest river, which is a small river. I
used to live right next to it.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

your elevation is on the Good side. And looters are easy to simply shoot
and slip back into the water.
Shrug

There work in Arkansas?

Gunner

--
"If I say two plus two is four and a Democrat says two plus two is eight,
it's not a partial victory for me when we agree that two plus two is
six. " Jonah Goldberg (modified)
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 14 May 2011 17:24:43 -0500, CaveLamb
wrote:

Gunner Asch wrote:

You bought property less than 100' higher than that river?

Are you out of your mind?????!!!

Gunner

Said the California guy living on a dozen fault lines...

True indeed. But! Ive quake proofed my home quite well and have ridden
out quite a number of up to 5.5 without any issues noted.

Even a 7 wont do much damage actually. Might shut off the water and the
power, and even the gas..but..shrug..thats why Ive made preps for 35
yrs.

The Coalinga earthquake of 83 taught me that lesson really really well.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1983_Coalinga_earthquake

I lost my house in that one, and ultimately the company moved me down
south to take over operations.

Gunner

--
"If I say two plus two is four and a Democrat says two plus two is eight,
it's not a partial victory for me when we agree that two plus two is
six. " Jonah Goldberg (modified)
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

news

wrote:

As we all know, Mississippi's flood defenses are full right now and
the authorities are flooding Peter to help Paul.

It is all good and well. But, if an earthquake occurs that is similar
to what happened in New Madrid in 19th century (see Wikipedia),
pretty much all levees will collapse and a enormous area would be
flooded in an instant.

You say that like its a bad thing.....?

If I don't get out with my stuff it's damn sure a bad thing !!

You bought property less than 100' higher than that river?

Are you out of your mind?????!!!

Gunner

Mine is 56 feet above the nearest river, which is a small river. I
used to live right next to it.

Well, I'm 115 feet above the Atlantic Ocean, so there. I live on top of the
terminal moraine from the last Ice Age. If you're wondering, it's all melted
over here. d8-)

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Gunner Asch wrote:

You bought property less than 100' higher than that river?

Are you out of your mind?????!!!

Gunner

Said the California guy living on a dozen fault lines...

True indeed. But! Ive quake proofed my home quite well and have ridden
out quite a number of up to 5.5 without any issues noted.

How do you quake-proof a trailer? Put it on casters?

--
Ed Huntress

Even a 7 wont do much damage actually. Might shut off the water and the
power, and even the gas..but..shrug..thats why Ive made preps for 35
yrs.

The Coalinga earthquake of 83 taught me that lesson really really well.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1983_Coalinga_earthquake

I lost my house in that one, and ultimately the company moved me down
south to take over operations.

Gunner

--
"If I say two plus two is four and a Democrat says two plus two is eight,
it's not a partial victory for me when we agree that two plus two is
six. " Jonah Goldberg (modified)

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

If a giant asteroid crashed into the Atlantic, you would wish that you
lived at a higer elevation.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Yes, I would. Or I'd wish for a really big net, to catch some of the fish
going by.

I think a big asteroid is the ultimate screwing, though, isn't it? I mean,
one of those suckers killed off the dinosaurs.

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Gunner Asch wrote:

You bought property less than 100' higher than that river?

Are you out of your mind?????!!!

Gunner

Said the California guy living on a dozen fault lines...

True indeed. But! Ive quake proofed my home quite well and have ridden
out quite a number of up to 5.5 without any issues noted.

How do you quake-proof a trailer? Put it on casters?

Put the tires back on?

--

Richard Lamb
http://www.home.earthlink.net/~cavelamb
http://www.home.earthlink.net/~sv_temptress
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

lived on a different planet!

--

Richard Lamb
http://www.home.earthlink.net/~cavelamb
http://www.home.earthlink.net/~sv_temptress
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

I definitely would not want to be ON that asteroid!

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

That would be better than being here.
It would be so quick it wouldn't hurt at all.

One of the hard lessons in life that I learned at 18 (RVN)
is that there are some things you don't really want to survive.

--

Richard Lamb
http://www.home.earthlink.net/~cavelamb
http://www.home.earthlink.net/~sv_temptress
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Gunner Asch wrote:
On Fri, 13 May 2011 23:22:01 -0500, Ignoramus21553

As we all know, Mississippi's flood defenses are full right now and
the authorities are flooding Peter to help Paul.

It is all good and well. But, if an earthquake occurs that is similar
to what happened in New Madrid in 19th century (see Wikipedia), pretty
much all levees will collapse and a enormous area would be flooded in
an instant.

You say that like its a bad thing.....?

I've been through that area, and the floodplain is farmland; this time of
year it will flood out their crops, they'll take a bath, but next year
they'll have an incredible bumper crop with the new coating of silt and
last year's drowned plants for topsoil. And if it dries out in time, they'll
probably make a pretty good showing planting some later-season crops, like
squashes and stuff.

In the lower really really poor reaches of Mississippi, I've seen houses
on stilts, so a flood is like ho-hum.

Cheers!
Rich

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Snag wrote:
Gunner Asch wrote:
On Fri, 13 May 2011 23:22:01 -0500, Ignoramus21553

As we all know, Mississippi's flood defenses are full right now and
the authorities are flooding Peter to help Paul.

It is all good and well. But, if an earthquake occurs that is similar
to what happened in New Madrid in 19th century (see Wikipedia),
pretty much all levees will collapse and a enormous area would be
flooded in an instant.

You say that like its a bad thing.....?

If I don't get out with my stuff it's damn sure a bad thing !!

Well, you'd better go TODAY, and call it a week- or two week vacation.

Good Luck!
Rich

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Rich Grise on Sat, 14 May 2011 19:55:34
Gunner Asch wrote:
[...]

I've seen homesteads where the house was on a barge (floated in
during an annual flood), with pilings to keep it in place. During the
flood times, the house floats, tethered by the pilings - the rest of
the time it just rests on the ground. Of course, these places usually
are into he backwaters of the flood, so there isn't a lot of current.

tschus
pyotr
--
pyotr filipivich
It's eight fifty eight. Close enough!
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Gunner Asch wrote:

You bought property less than 100' higher than that river?

Are you out of your mind?????!!!

Gunner

Said the California guy living on a dozen fault lines...
True indeed. But! Ive quake proofed my home quite well and have ridden
out quite a number of up to 5.5 without any issues noted.

How do you quake-proof a trailer? Put it on casters?

Put the tires back on?

www.cnico.com/pgs/mobile-4.2.html

http://www.mygreathome.com/fix-it_guide/tiedowns.htm

Simple, no?

Gunner

--
"If I say two plus two is four and a Democrat says two plus two is eight,
it's not a partial victory for me when we agree that two plus two is
six. " Jonah Goldberg (modified)

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

news
On 2011-05-14, Gunner wrote:

wrote:

[...]

Since were bragging about elevation: :-)
I'm about 6000 ASL (above sea level) and well
over 1000 above the muddy trickle of the Rio Grande.
And close to 1000 Mi from the ocean. :-)
Call me "High and Dry", especially DRY. :-(
...lew...
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

There are openings in a school about 35 miles from our place that my wife
is qualified for , and one opening left in a machine shop in the nearest
town (9 miles from our land) . I've been told by locals that a handyman that
actually shows up on time and charges reasonable rates might do well there
too . One job can support us , two would be better ...

--
Snag
Learning keeps

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Lewis Hartswick" wrote in message
m...
news

wrote:

[...]

I'll bet you're sitting on a big volcano that hasn't erupted for 10,000
years, but it's really getting antsy about it. g

Here in NJ, the biggest thing we worry about is hurricanes. I haven't
worried about one since I was a little kid, when Hazel flooded the Delaware
River to within 50' of our house. It normally was more than a half-mile
away.

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

That's because you don't believe and will not be carried to Heaven
during the "Rapture". I've listened to some of these people talk and
it's amazing to me that they have no plans after the upcoming date
with destiny. They are all completely positive that the end of the
world will bwgin witha huge earthquake which will just be the
precursor to more disasters. And they will all, along with a limited
number of other believers, be up in heaven while the earth goes
through all sorts of trials and tribulations.
ERS
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 14 May 2011 20:15:14 -0500, CaveLamb

wrote:

[...]

Depending on the speed of the ejecta and your proximity to it you
might end up on another planet.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2011-05-14,
wrote:

[...]

Looks like we Buddhists are going to have lots and lots of primer real
estate to choose from! Yay!!!

Gunner

--
"If I say two plus two is four and a Democrat says two plus two is eight,
it's not a partial victory for me when we agree that two plus two is
six. " Jonah Goldberg (modified)
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Gunner Asch writes:

True indeed. But! Ive quake proofed my home quite well and have ridden
out quite a number of up to 5.5 without any issues noted.

Even a 7 wont do much damage actually. Might shut off the water and the
power, and even the gas..but..shrug..thats why Ive made preps for 35
yrs.

How much drinking water do you have? One issue with the Big One
in Socal will be how many die of thirst over the following week+

--
A host is a host from coast to
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 17 May 2011 06:40:09 +0000 (UTC), David Lesher
wrote:

Gunner Asch writes:

True indeed. But! Ive quake proofed my home quite well and have ridden
out quite a number of up to 5.5 without any issues noted.

Even a 7 wont do much damage actually. Might shut off the water and the
power, and even the gas..but..shrug..thats why Ive made preps for 35
yrs.

How much drinking water do you have? One issue with the Big One
in Socal will be how many die of thirst over the following week+

110 gallons in 2 poly drums, changed once a year, and 50 odd gallons in
2 liter pop bottles, changed once a year, plus the water heater..and a 1
million gallon water tank about 1/8 of a mile to the west of me.
Plus humm...8-10 water wells within 1/4 mile of me that service the oil
fields. They are powered by PG&E normally, but the entire oil field is
filled with cogeneration plants that make steam for steam injection..but
turn turbines and make juice that they sell to PG&E

http://www.cbc.ca/nl/features/burtyn.../images/10.jpg
http://tightsainthood.ylayali.com/images/_D2X7898.jpg
http://photographyforagreenerplanet..../olf_13_02.jpg
http://sandiego.indymedia.org/images/2006/07/116725.jpg
http://bancroft.library.ca.gov/digli...id=287&start=1
http://www.flickr.com/photos/raphael...n/photostream/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/raphael...n/photostream/
And so forth.

As you will notice...not a lot of trees, typical high desert, rolling
hills to the west...rifle country....long long...long range rifle
country.

Summer time, about 105F-112F, winter time..about 45F..with heavy fog at
night.

Gunner

Gunner

--
"If I say two plus two is four and a Democrat says two plus two is eight,
it's not a partial victory for me when we agree that two plus two is
six. " Jonah Goldberg (modified)
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default moving water uphill without electricity was New Madrid fault

David Lesher on Tue, 17 May 2011 06:40:09 +0000
(UTC) typed in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:
Gunner Asch writes:

True indeed. But! Ive quake proofed my home quite well and have ridden
out quite a number of up to 5.5 without any issues noted.

Even a 7 wont do much damage actually. Might shut off the water and the
power, and even the gas..but..shrug..thats why Ive made preps for 35
yrs.

How much drinking water do you have? One issue with the Big One
in Socal will be how many die of thirst over the following week+

Probably other parts of the country as well. It is a long way to
walk to the river carrying water jugs - and twice as far walking back
with full jugs. (I used to be "the water boy" and learned all about
how heavy water gets when you are carrying it.)

tschus
pyotr

--
pyotr filipivich
It's eight fifty eight. Close enough!
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

pyotr filipivich wrote:

Probably other parts of the country as well. It is a long way to
walk to the river carrying water jugs - and twice as far walking back
with full jugs. (I used to be "the water boy" and learned all about
how heavy water gets when you are carrying it.)

Is that where they get deuterium? Just put the factory two or three
miles from the well, and when the carrier gets back, you have heavy
water?

;-)
Rich

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On May 15, 10:41*am, "Ed Huntress" wrote:
I'll bet you're sitting on a big volcano that hasn't erupted for 10,000
years, but it's really getting antsy about it. g
Ed Huntress-

I'm ready, cleared the leaves etc from around the house and took
'before' photos of the foundation cracks.

jsw
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Jim Wilkins" wrote in message
On May 15, 10:41 am, "Ed Huntress" wrote:
I'll bet you're sitting on a big volcano that hasn't erupted for 10,000
years, but it's really getting antsy about it. g
Ed Huntress-

I'm ready, cleared the leaves etc from around the house and took
'before' photos of the foundation cracks.

jsw

LOL! That's thinking ahead.

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Rich Grise on Fri, 20 May 2011 15:08:53
pyotr filipivich wrote:

Probably other parts of the country as well. It is a long way to
walk to the river carrying water jugs - and twice as far walking back
with full jugs. (I used to be "the water boy" and learned all about
how heavy water gets when you are carrying it.)

Is that where they get deuterium? Just put the factory two or three
miles from the well, and when the carrier gets back, you have heavy
water?

Ah ... yeah. Only more like a hundred yards will do. Yeah, a
hundred yards, that sounds about right. Especially w/o a Little Red
Wagon.

--
pyotr filipivich
It's eight fifty eight. Close enough!
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

pyotr filipivich wrote:

Probably other parts of the country as well. It is a long way to
walk to the river carrying water jugs - and twice as far walking back
with full jugs. (I used to be "the water boy" and learned all about
how heavy water gets when you are carrying it.)

Is that where they get deuterium? Just put the factory two or three
miles from the well, and when the carrier gets back, you have heavy
water?

Ah ... yeah. Only more like a hundred yards will do. Yeah, a
hundred yards, that sounds about right. Especially w/o a Little Red
Wagon.

You need a hydraulic ram - plans to make your own are on the 'net.

Ver Futbol La Liga,R.MADRID FC Barcelona Rojadirecta zapateiro TV Online Home Repair 0 September 2nd 09 01:15 AM
Fault in TV [email protected] Electronics Repair 0 March 29th 08 09:02 AM
immersion heater fault or economy heater fault bigbadbade UK diy 2 January 25th 07 07:50 PM
Odd d-i-y PC fault T i m UK diy 11 August 31st 05 11:06 PM
TV fault john UK diy 3 August 23rd 05 11:31 PM