Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Snag[_3_] Snag[_3_] is offline

Default New Madrid fault

Gunner Asch wrote:
On Sat, 14 May 2011 17:06:51 -0500, "Snag"
wrote:

Gunner Asch wrote:
On Sat, 14 May 2011 12:00:00 -0500, "Snag"
wrote:

Gunner Asch wrote:
On Fri, 13 May 2011 23:22:01 -0500, Ignoramus21553
wrote:

As we all know, Mississippi's flood defenses are full right now
and the authorities are flooding Peter to help Paul.

It is all good and well. But, if an earthquake occurs that is
similar to what happened in New Madrid in 19th century (see
Wikipedia), pretty much all levees will collapse and a enormous
area would be flooded in an instant.

You say that like its a bad thing.....?

If I don't get out with my stuff it's damn sure a bad thing !!

You bought property less than 100' higher than that river?

Are you out of your mind?????!!!

Gunner

I think we're actually about 65-70 feet higher than the river at
our place . And truly we're about 4 miles from the river , though
the Wolf River is only a couple of miles . I'm not nearly as worried
about the flooding as I am about the potential for looters... but
that may change soon too , it's starting to look like this is the
year of The Big Move . We're both unemployed now , and looking for
jobs up in north central Arkansas , where we have land . And it's a
looooooonnnnnng way from anything that can flood us out !

your elevation is on the Good side. And looters are easy to simply
shoot and slip back into the water.
Shrug

There work in Arkansas?

Gunner

There are openings in a school about 35 miles from our place that my wife
is qualified for , and one opening left in a machine shop in the nearest
town (9 miles from our land) . I've been told by locals that a handyman that
actually shows up on time and charges reasonable rates might do well there
too . One job can support us , two would be better ...

--
Snag
Learning keeps