Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
cavelamb cavelamb is offline

Default New Madrid fault

Ignoramus15921 wrote:
On 2011-05-15, CaveLamb wrote:
Ignoramus15921 wrote:
On 2011-05-14, Ed Huntress wrote:
"Ignoramus15921" wrote in message
news On 2011-05-14, Gunner Asch wrote:
On Sat, 14 May 2011 12:00:00 -0500, "Snag" wrote:

Gunner Asch wrote:
On Fri, 13 May 2011 23:22:01 -0500, Ignoramus21553
wrote:

As we all know, Mississippi's flood defenses are full right now and
the authorities are flooding Peter to help Paul.

It is all good and well. But, if an earthquake occurs that is similar
to what happened in New Madrid in 19th century (see Wikipedia),
pretty much all levees will collapse and a enormous area would be
flooded in an instant.

You say that like its a bad thing.....?

If I don't get out with my stuff it's damn sure a bad thing !!
You bought property less than 100' higher than that river?

Are you out of your mind?????!!!

Gunner

Mine is 56 feet above the nearest river, which is a small river. I
used to live right next to it.

Well, I'm 115 feet above the Atlantic Ocean, so there. I live on top of the
terminal moraine from the last Ice Age. If you're wondering, it's all melted
over here. d8-)

If a giant asteroid crashed into the Atlantic, you would wish that you
lived at a higer elevation.

If a giant asteroid crashed into the Atlantic, you would wish that you
lived on a different planet!

I definitely would not want to be ON that asteroid!

That would be better than being here.
It would be so quick it wouldn't hurt at all.

One of the hard lessons in life that I learned at 18 (RVN)
is that there are some things you don't really want to survive.

--

Richard Lamb
http://www.home.earthlink.net/~cavelamb