Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Grease

I am in the process of refurbishing a 1950 Delta-Rockwell drill press.It
has an auxiliary speed reducer that has a very weird ball bearing to
hold the step pulley. If I could even find a replacement I don't even
want to know what it would cost. It would cost more than the machine is
worth. They wanted $50 to $60 for the motor bearings which I am
replacing with cheaper ones and sone machined spacers.

It is a sealed bearing. I have cleaned out all the old hardened grease
after removing the shields. As it is in a semi-protected area and as I
have no way of replacing the shields, what type of grease should I repack
it with?: Wheel bearing grease, molly, or?

Thanks in advance for your replies.

Chuck P.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On May 12, 7:19*pm, Pilgrim wrote:
I am in the process of refurbishing a 1950 Delta-Rockwell drill press.It
has an auxiliary speed reducer that has a very weird ball bearing to
hold the step pulley. If I could even find a replacement I don't even
want to know what it would cost. It would cost more than the machine is
worth. They wanted $50 to $60 for the motor bearings which I am
replacing with cheaper ones and sone machined spacers.

It is a sealed bearing. I have cleaned out all the old hardened grease
after removing the shields. As it is in a semi-protected area and as I
have no way of replacing the shields, what type of grease should I repack
it with?: Wheel bearing grease, molly, or?

Thanks in advance for your replies.

Chuck P

Maybe too late but try "vxb.com" for bearing stuff.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Go to this webpage http://www.lubriplate.com/
and click on the ask a lubexpert box. Very knowlegable people and good
straight answers.
Good luck Lyndell

"Pilgrim" wrote in message
news
I am in the process of refurbishing a 1950 Delta-Rockwell drill press.It
has an auxiliary speed reducer that has a very weird ball bearing to
hold the step pulley. If I could even find a replacement I don't even
want to know what it would cost. It would cost more than the machine is
worth. They wanted $50 to $60 for the motor bearings which I am
replacing with cheaper ones and sone machined spacers.

It is a sealed bearing. I have cleaned out all the old hardened grease
after removing the shields. As it is in a semi-protected area and as I
have no way of replacing the shields, what type of grease should I repack
it with?: Wheel bearing grease, molly, or?

Thanks in advance for your replies.

Chuck P.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 12 May 2011 19:19:59 -0700, Pilgrim
wrote:

I am in the process of refurbishing a 1950 Delta-Rockwell drill press.It
has an auxiliary speed reducer that has a very weird ball bearing to
hold the step pulley. If I could even find a replacement I don't even
want to know what it would cost. It would cost more than the machine is
worth. They wanted $50 to $60 for the motor bearings which I am
replacing with cheaper ones and sone machined spacers.

It is a sealed bearing. I have cleaned out all the old hardened grease
after removing the shields. As it is in a semi-protected area and as I
have no way of replacing the shields, what type of grease should I repack
it with?: Wheel bearing grease, molly, or?

Thanks in advance for your replies.

Chuck P.

Any good wheel bearing gease will do the job for you.

Gunner

Whenever a Liberal utters the term "Common Sense approach"....grab your
wallet, your ass, and your guns because the sombitch is about to do
something damned nasty to all three of them.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

I am in the process of refurbishing a 1950 Delta-Rockwell drill press.It
has an auxiliary speed reducer that has a very weird ball bearing to
hold the step pulley. If I could even find a replacement I don't even
want to know what it would cost. It would cost more than the machine is
worth. They wanted $50 to $60 for the motor bearings which I am
replacing with cheaper ones and sone machined spacers.

It is a sealed bearing. I have cleaned out all the old hardened grease
after removing the shields. As it is in a semi-protected area and as I
have no way of replacing the shields, what type of grease should I repack
it with?: Wheel bearing grease, molly, or?

Thanks in advance for your replies.

Chuck P.

Greetings Chuck,
Does the bearing have an extended race? If it does then it may be
available from an outfit the sells Walker-Turner replacement parts.
Their name is Walker Turner Serviced Machinery LLC. Their email is

Later,
Eric

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 13 May 2011 12:47:42 -0700, Rich Grise
wrote:

Pilgrim wrote:

It is a sealed bearing. I have cleaned out all the old hardened grease
after removing the shields. As it is in a semi-protected area and as I
have no way of replacing the shields, what type of grease should I repack
it with?: Wheel bearing grease, molly, or?

But, there's nothing wrong with moly - I just wonder about the price?

I wouldn't pack the bearings with any grease containing moly, unless
it's specifically recommended for ball bearings. Moly lubes are
generally called for in heavily loaded plain bearings and not
recommended for small rolling bearings.

--
Ned Simmons
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I wouldn't pack the bearings with any grease containing moly, unless
it's specifically recommended for ball bearings. Moly lubes are
generally called for in heavily loaded plain bearings and not
recommended for small rolling bearings.

Why isn't it recommended?

RWL

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 13 May 2011 21:52:15 -0400, GeoLane at PTD dot NET GeoLane at
PTD dot NET wrote:

I wouldn't pack the bearings with any grease containing moly, unless
it's specifically recommended for ball bearings. Moly lubes are
generally called for in heavily loaded plain bearings and not
recommended for small rolling bearings.

Why isn't it recommended?

RWL

MoS2 is a solid lubricant, like graphite. My understanding, and I'm no
expert, is that it can pack into larger particles in a rolling
bearing, and cause problems in small bearings with tight clearances.
There are moly greases recommended for ball and roller bearings, but I
think you'll find their use is typically limited to larger bearings in
severe service.

I do have first-hand experience with moly oxides (not MoS2, but of
similar consistency) packing in linear ball bearings to the point that
the balls stop rolling.

--
Ned Simmons
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

PTD dot NET wrote:

[...]

ISTR a NASA report from way back showing graphite building up in this way
and taking up clearances in rolling element bearings. But really, if your
application is cool enough that mineral oil grease is OK, moly isn't going
to give you any benefit.

Moly greases are used in CV joints where there is rather limited rolling,
and the forces are very large (so I'd expect any moly buildup just to
extrude).

Grease gun zxcvbob Home Repair 15 July 23rd 10 03:33 AM
The right grease Deacon_Man Home Repair 24 February 23rd 10 11:58 PM
Grease or oil? Michael Koblic Metalworking 10 August 1st 08 03:27 AM
Lithium grase + silicone grease vs. axle grease RickyC UK diy 8 February 17th 05 07:59 PM
Grease Boozo Electronics Repair 1 September 8th 03 03:16 PM