Posted to alt.home.repair

Default The right grease

Guys I know this is off topic, but from what I read here I trust your
opinions. I have a new 9mm Trurus handgun. What kind of grease do you
recomend to use on the slide action. I am treasurer of my Church and
handle a lot of money so I carry this handgun. I do have a Concealed
Handgun License. In the past I used a revolver but recently upgraded
to the semiauto.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 22, 12:40*pm, Deacon_Man wrote:
Guys I know this is off topic, but from what I read here I trust your
opinions. I have a new 9mm Trurus handgun. What kind of grease do you
recomend to use on the slide action. I am treasurer of my Church and
handle a lot of money so I carry this handgun. I do have a Concealed
Handgun License. In the past I used a revolver but recently upgraded
to the semiauto.

Your owner's manual doesn't have anything to say on the matter?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 22, 2:43*pm, mike wrote:
On Feb 22, 12:40*pm, Deacon_Man wrote:

Guys I know this is off topic, but from what I read here I trust your
opinions. I have a new 9mm Trurus handgun. What kind of grease do you
recomend to use on the slide action. I am treasurer of my Church and
handle a lot of money so I carry this handgun. I do have a Concealed
Handgun License. In the past I used a revolver but recently upgraded
to the semiauto.

Your owner's manual doesn't have anything to say on the matter?

No, the manual just says to use a light grease.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 22, 2:59*pm, wrote:
On Mon, 22 Feb 2010 12:40:03 -0800 (PST), Deacon_Man

wrote:
Guys I know this is off topic, but from what I read here I trust your
opinions. I have a new 9mm Trurus handgun. What kind of grease do you
recomend to use on the slide action. I am treasurer of my Church and
handle a lot of money so I carry this handgun. I do have a Concealed
Handgun License. In the past I used a revolver but recently upgraded
to the semiauto.

No grease at all, just a very light wipe with a regular gun oil. Too
much lube attracts dust and that attracts water or promotes jams.

I thought grease because it came from the factory with a light grease.
My cleaning kit only has a light oil. You say that's good enough?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 22, 1:08*pm, Deacon_Man wrote:
On Feb 22, 2:43*pm, mike wrote:

On Feb 22, 12:40*pm, Deacon_Man wrote:

Guys I know this is off topic, but from what I read here I trust your
opinions. I have a new 9mm Trurus handgun. What kind of grease do you
recomend to use on the slide action. I am treasurer of my Church and
handle a lot of money so I carry this handgun. I do have a Concealed
Handgun License. In the past I used a revolver but recently upgraded
to the semiauto.

Your owner's manual doesn't have anything to say on the matter?

No, the manual just says to use a light grease.

That's something! Standard lithium grease will do fine if for some
reason the grease needs replenising.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Roy Roy is offline

wrote:
Guys I know this is off topic, but from what I read here I trust your
opinions. I have a new 9mm Trurus handgun. What kind of grease do you
recomend to use on the slide action. I am treasurer of my Church and
handle a lot of money so I carry this handgun. I do have a Concealed
Handgun License. In the past I used a revolver but recently upgraded
to the semiauto.

No grease at all, just a very light wipe with a regular gun oil. Too
much lube attracts dust and that attracts water or promotes jams.

I thought grease because it came from the factory with a light grease.
My cleaning kit only has a light oil. You say that's good enough?

==
Most gun shops and some hardware stores have a handy aerosol multi-
purpose protectant which will work quite well. Don't over spray and
follow instructions on the can. You are just trying to keep moisture
and dust from the works, not lubricate a huge load bearing
machine...easy does it.
==
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 22, 2:40*pm, Deacon_Man wrote:
Guys I know this is off topic, but from what I read here I trust your
opinions. I have a new 9mm Trurus handgun. What kind of grease do you
recomend to use on the slide action. I am treasurer of my Church and
handle a lot of money so I carry this handgun. I do have a Concealed
Handgun License. In the past I used a revolver but recently upgraded
to the semiauto.

If its only for carry and emergency no grease, it just attracts dirt,
when you go to the range bit of oil or grease will keep wear down, if
you shoot alot.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Deacon_Man" wrote in message
Guys I know this is off topic, but from what I read here I trust
your
opinions. I have a new 9mm Trurus handgun. What kind of grease
do you
recomend to use on the slide action. I am treasurer of my Church
and
handle a lot of money so I carry this handgun. I do have a
Concealed
Handgun License. In the past I used a revolver but recently
upgraded
to the semiauto.

You got a lot of good advice already, but here's my $.02 worth.
After I've been firing a gun, I do a field disassembly at home and
(literally) wash the parts off with WD40. Then, while its still
wet with the WD40, I apply a drop of gun oil to the moving parts,
letting the wet WD40 disperse it. I use my air hose to blow the
excess oil around/off. Finally, I give the non-moving parts and
particularly the outside of the gun a wipe with a dry rag to
remove any excess WD40. I've only been doing this for about 40
years and so far I've never had any rust or apparent wear, so it
might be working. grin The main advantage is that it's fast and
quite easy to do.

--
Nonny

and articulate person who has absolutely no clue
concerning what they are talking about.
The person is typically a media commentator or politician.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Deacon_Man wrote:
Guys I know this is off topic, but from what I read here I trust your
opinions. I have a new 9mm Trurus handgun. What kind of grease do you
recomend to use on the slide action. I am treasurer of my Church and
handle a lot of money so I carry this handgun. I do have a Concealed
Handgun License. In the past I used a revolver but recently upgraded
to the semiauto.

First choice is nothing. Second is very light oil.

Using nothing will enhance wearing of the irregular surfaces left from the
original manufacture, resulting in a smoother-functioning weapon.

As an aside, many years ago the Brazilian government contracted with Beretta
to provide handguns for the military. Part of the contract was that the guns
be made in Brazil, so Beretta built a factory there.

In the fullness of time, the contract expired, Brazil kept the factory and
renamed the product "Tarus."

The interesting thing about the weapon is that a bad guy can grab the slide
and, with a twist and a jerk, disassemble the weapon while you're still
holding it!

That said, if you use hollow-points, a neat trick is to fill the hollow with
dog **** and seal it up with candle wax. That way, when you shoot someone,
they die of septicemia, much to the perplexion of the doctors. Probably not
appropriate for a church worker...

Posted to alt.home.repair

Deacon_Man wrote:
Guys I know this is off topic, but from what I read here I trust your
opinions. I have a new 9mm Trurus handgun. What kind of grease do you
recomend to use on the slide action. I am treasurer of my Church and
handle a lot of money so I carry this handgun. I do have a Concealed
Handgun License. In the past I used a revolver but recently upgraded
to the semiauto.

I would use gunslick sparingly. Wipe off any excess. You guy Gunslick in
a gun store.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 22, 4:24*pm, "HeyBub" wrote:
Deacon_Man wrote:
[...]

What if you stuck a Primer in a hollow point, if it hit bone, no more
bone.
Posted to alt.home.repair

ransley wrote:
On Feb 22, 4:24 pm, "HeyBub" wrote:
Deacon_Man wrote:
[...]

Heh! We had one guy who pressed-fitted a large pistol primer - with some
powder - in the nose of a .45 hollow point. He went out to a dumping ground
and shot an old hollow-core door. Blew a hole in the door the size of a
basketball.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"HeyBub" wrote in message
m...
Deacon_Man wrote:
[...]

Nah...If you need to shoot somebody just empty the clip into them...Just say
you were freaked out and just kept shooting...The only story is yours...Dead
men tell no tales...Saves us taxpayers an expensive trial as well...HTH...

Posted to alt.home.repair

Talk to the folks at the gun shop. And, please
look in to some combat training courses. I realize
you're a rigteous man, and have a seriously good
reason to carry a gun. It's wise to try and find
some courses, to learn the operation, cleaning,
and the laws in your area.

"The Right Grease" reminds me of the movie The
Right Stuff, about the fighter pilots. I guess the
right grease is what allows you to test firearms,
and never refuse a combat assignment?

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Roy" wrote in message

==
Most gun shops and some hardware stores have a
handy aerosol multi-
purpose protectant which will work quite well.
Don't over spray and
follow instructions on the can. You are just
trying to keep moisture
and dust from the works, not lubricate a huge load
bearing
machine...easy does it.
==

Posted to alt.home.repair

HeyBub wrote:
Deacon_Man wrote:
[...]

I've always heard mercury was a good choice to seal in a hollow point
but I had meaner thoughts. Gather up a bunch of old ionization smoke
detectors and get the radioactive Americium 241 to put in your hollow
point ammo, it shows up real good on X-ray pictures.

TDD

Posted to alt.home.repair

Deacon_Man wrote:
Guys I know this is off topic, but from what I read here I trust your
opinions. I have a new 9mm Trurus handgun. What kind of grease do you
recomend to use on the slide action. I am treasurer of my Church and
handle a lot of money so I carry this handgun. I do have a Concealed
Handgun License. In the past I used a revolver but recently upgraded
to the semiauto.

Back when The Viet Nam war was going on, folks were sending their sons
a product called Break-Free because the M-16 rifles were jamming so bad.

http://www.cabelas.com/p-0059345290141a.shtml

TDD

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 22, 7:25*pm, "HeyBub" wrote:
ransley wrote:
On Feb 22, 4:24 pm, "HeyBub" wrote:
Deacon_Man wrote:
[...]

basketball.- Hide quoted text -

Doing that to a bullett just cant be legal, but it shure would make
target practice more fun
Posted to alt.home.repair

Stormin Mormon wrote:
Talk to the folks at the gun shop. And, please
look in to some combat training courses. I realize
you're a rigteous man, and have a seriously good
reason to carry a gun. It's wise to try and find
some courses, to learn the operation, cleaning,
and the laws in your area.

"Need" is never the qualifier for firearms. "Want" is the operative reason.

Posted to alt.home.repair

ransley wrote:

Heh! We had one guy who pressed-fitted a large pistol primer - with
some powder - in the nose of a .45 hollow point. He went out to a
dumping ground and shot an old hollow-core door. Blew a hole in the
door the size of a basketball.- Hide quoted text -

Doing that to a bullett just cant be legal, but it shure would make
target practice more fun

The only prohibition I know of on ammunition is that against "armor
piercing" bullets (those with a sabot).

The Marines just deployed a new ammunition in Afghanistan - it's a
not-really hollow point.
http://www.marinecorpstimes.com/news..._ammo_021510w/

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 23 Feb 2010 06:15:42 -0600, "HeyBub"
wrote Re The right grease:

The Marines just deployed a new ammunition in Afghanistan - it's a
not-really hollow point.
http://www.marinecorpstimes.com/news..._ammo_021510w/

My interpretation of the article and what hoops had to be jumped in
order to get the ammo, leads me to believe that America's politically
imposed fighting strategy is still "when we fight, we fight to loose"
like in Vietnam.

Can anyone confirm this?

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote Re The right grease:

The Marines just deployed a new ammunition in Afghanistan - it's a
not-really hollow point.
http://www.marinecorpstimes.com/news..._ammo_021510w/

My interpretation of the article and what hoops had to be jumped in
order to get the ammo, leads me to believe that America's politically
imposed fighting strategy is still "when we fight, we fight to loose"
like in Vietnam.

Can anyone confirm this?

There's an international treaty against the use of dum-dum bullets. I
suspect legions of lawyers had to sign-off on this new round.

Posted to alt.home.repair
LdB LdB is offline

On 2/22/2010 2:40 PM, Deacon_Man wrote:
Guys I know this is off topic, but from what I read here I trust your
opinions. I have a new 9mm Trurus handgun. What kind of grease do you
recomend to use on the slide action. I am treasurer of my Church and
handle a lot of money so I carry this handgun. I do have a Concealed
Handgun License. In the past I used a revolver but recently upgraded
to the semiauto.

Last time I attended a church service someone just pointed a little
basket at me. I was under the impression the donation was voluntary.

LdB
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 22, 3:40*pm, Deacon_Man wrote:
Guys I know this is off topic, but from what I read here I trust your
opinions. I have a new 9mm Trurus handgun. What kind of grease do you
recomend to use on the slide action. I am treasurer of my Church and
handle a lot of money so I carry this handgun. I do have a Concealed
Handgun License. In the past I used a revolver but recently upgraded
to the semiauto.

Break Free. Itv seems this stuff penetrates the metal. I have been
using it since the early 70s. I used it to clean my father in laws
guns about 15years ago. When he passed away I discovered they hadnt
been touched since then, about 8 years.
They were still in good shape.

Jimmie
Posted to alt.home.repair

Deacon Man takes his job seriously, you think?

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

m...