Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Quiet lock for church building

I was at a church building, Friday night. We were
having a quiet moment, and people were coming
in and out. (end of a meeting). Big wood door,
with hydraulic closer. The passage set is a commercial
large rose, probably Yale. I neglected to check the
backset. Half inch throw latch, not deadlatching.
T-strike. Finish is 26d.

When the door closes, the latch makes a loud
clack. If people are trying to be quiet, that is
gosh awful distracting.

Is there a heavy duty commercial passage latch,
that's not noisy?

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Stormin Mormon wrote:
I was at a church building, Friday night. We were
having a quiet moment, and people were coming
in and out. (end of a meeting). Big wood door,
with hydraulic closer. The passage set is a commercial
large rose, probably Yale. I neglected to check the
backset. Half inch throw latch, not deadlatching.
T-strike. Finish is 26d.

When the door closes, the latch makes a loud
clack. If people are trying to be quiet, that is
gosh awful distracting.

Is there a heavy duty commercial passage latch,
that's not noisy?

Does the door have to be latched?

--

Richard Lamb
http://www.home.earthlink.net/~cavelamb
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I'd have to check. I'm guessing the local fire code guy
wants it self closing and self latching.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"CaveLamb" wrote in message
m...

Does the door have to be latched?

--

Richard Lamb
http://www.home.earthlink.net/~cavelamb
http://www.home.earthlink.net/~sv_temptress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message
I was at a church building, Friday night. We were
having a quiet moment, and people were coming
in and out. (end of a meeting). Big wood door,
with hydraulic closer. The passage set is a commercial
large rose, probably Yale. I neglected to check the
backset. Half inch throw latch, not deadlatching.
T-strike. Finish is 26d.

When the door closes, the latch makes a loud
clack. If people are trying to be quiet, that is
gosh awful distracting.

Is there a heavy duty commercial passage latch,
that's not noisy?

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
.

Have you tried padding the hole in the strike?
Maybe some self adhesive felt?
It might muffle the noise enough and keep the door from becoming a big
sounding board.

Paul K. Dickman

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Stormin Mormon wrote:

I was at a church building, Friday night. We were
having a quiet moment, and people were coming
in and out. (end of a meeting). Big wood door,
with hydraulic closer. The passage set is a commercial
large rose, probably Yale. I neglected to check the
backset. Half inch throw latch, not deadlatching.
T-strike. Finish is 26d.

When the door closes, the latch makes a loud
clack. If people are trying to be quiet, that is
gosh awful distracting.

Is there a heavy duty commercial passage latch,
that's not noisy?

Is it the kind of latch with a panic bar on the inside?
I've seen them able to retract the latch, so that it acts
like there's no latch at all. Many years ago, I saw the
school janitor do this to one of the doors using an Allen
wrench. It should be legal to leave the door "flapping in
the breeze," so to speak, (the closer would keep it from
actually flapping) as long as there's somebody inside, but
the last person out would have to re-latch it, of course.

And if it does have this feature, obviously you have to
have somebody who knows how to do it. ;-)

Good Luck!
Rich

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On May 8, 12:38*pm, Rich Grise wrote:
Stormin Mormon wrote:
[...]

I second this option. All latches will click when they work. You
could also ask the folks to make a quiet exit if there are still folks
inside by turning the outside handle as they close the door and
release the lever after the door is gently closed.

The only other option would be a mag lock and adjust the closer to
have a very slow latch speed, but that would be rather pricey, and
have a learning curve that might be difficult for the members to
adjust to.

Roger Shoaf
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

The latch is a leverset, as I wrote. It is some what similar
to two plain knobs to turn and open, except that the "knobs"
are levers for handicap compliance. It would be possible to
take out the latch, and the door would then be push - pull
function. I suspect the fire marshall wants the latch in
case of fire.

Would be nice if we could dog the latch back.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Rich Grise"
wrote in message ...

Is it the kind of latch with a panic bar on the inside?
I've seen them able to retract the latch, so that it acts
like there's no latch at all. Many years ago, I saw the
school janitor do this to one of the doors using an Allen
wrench. It should be legal to leave the door "flapping in
the breeze," so to speak, (the closer would keep it from
actually flapping) as long as there's somebody inside, but
the last person out would have to re-latch it, of course.

And if it does have this feature, obviously you have to
have somebody who knows how to do it. ;-)

Good Luck!
Rich

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On May 9, 8:27*am, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:
[...]

You don't need to suspect anything about the fire marshall. Call his
office (or your local code office) and ask. That will, at least, put
that matter to rest.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

RS at work wrote:

The only other option would be a mag lock and adjust the closer to
have a very slow latch speed, but that would be rather pricey, and
have a learning curve that might be difficult for the members to
adjust to.

I've seen this done. A non-moving crash
bar with a capacitive sensor that opens
the mag lock. Elegant and silent, but not
cheap.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On May 9, 7:27*am, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:
[...]

Duct tape.

Last person out pulls it off.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 09 May 2011 10:52:57 -0700, Jim Stewart
wrote:

RS at work wrote:

The only other option would be a mag lock and adjust the closer to
have a very slow latch speed, but that would be rather pricey, and
have a learning curve that might be difficult for the members to
adjust to.

I've seen this done. A non-moving crash
bar with a capacitive sensor that opens
the mag lock. Elegant and silent, but not
cheap.

I should mention..I believe I have several of those magnetic locks,
along with some solenoid operated strikes and so forth.

I did run an alarm co for 15 yrs....shrug

Gunner

--
"If I say two plus two is four and a Democrat says two plus two is eight,
it's not a partial victory for me when we agree that two plus two is
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

RS at work wrote:

The only other option would be a mag lock and adjust the closer to
have a very slow latch speed, but that would be rather pricey, and
have a learning curve that might be difficult for the members to
adjust to.

I've seen this done. A non-moving crash
bar with a capacitive sensor that opens
the mag lock. Elegant and silent, but not
cheap.

I should mention..I believe I have several of those magnetic locks,
along with some solenoid operated strikes and so forth.

I did run an alarm co for 15 yrs....shrug

Gunner

That is what I am looking at for our fire station. Would love to go to a
swipe card system. Currently we use commercial locks with keys stamped
do not copy, the copies aren't the problem. It's folks who leave the
dept and take the keys, or who "loan" friends the keys. Figured with the
swipe system we could trace who went through the doors easier. And if
someone leaves we could take their card out of the system. Only have
two main doors that would need the electronics. The other doors could be
switched to exit only and one with a secured key on each building in
case of power/lock failure.
It's amazing to folks when we tell them some of the items that have
"walked" out of the building over the years....

--
Steve W.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

RS at work wrote:

[...]

Ive got a bunch of new pushbutton keypads, that can be used to
open/close, turn on /turn off..but none of them will identify which code
was used.

I can try to find you an inexpensive card reader system though if you
would like.

Gunner

--
"If I say two plus two is four and a Democrat says two plus two is eight,
it's not a partial victory for me when we agree that two plus two is
six. " Jonah Goldberg (modified)
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
ATP ATP is offline

"Rich Grise" wrote in message
Stormin Mormon wrote:

[...]

Panic bars can be "dogged open" with an allen key. Push on the bar, insert
the allen and turn it to engage. Since the door has a hydraulic closer, the
fire marshal will be fine with it. Actually it would be a big improvement
for fire egress. Good panic bars can be very expensive and you have to match
the outside lever set. Ebay might be the way to go.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Pinstripe Sniper wrote:
Brian Rosenthal wrote:

Duct tape.
Last person out pulls it off.

Hey it worked for Watergate...um...kinda sorta. :-)

The tape could be placed with a very visible "tail" hanging out so who
ever is last/locking up is more likely to notice it.

Some velcro and a strap would stay working longer than duct tape, and
be a lot less ugly. :-)

Cheers!
Rich

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

RS at work wrote:

[...]

Is that important?
To be able to trace who comes and goes???