Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Whatzit called?

My brother is trying to copy a gizmo and has decided to pester me about it.
At the heart of this item is something that seems to be a stock device with
some mounting hdw welded on.
If we could get a name for this device, we can search for it.

It is simply a heavy (1 1/8" dia) rotating shaft mounted in bearings. The
bearings, however, aren't mounted in pillow blocks or flanges, they are
mounted in a cylinder.

For all intents and purposes, it looks like the quill from your drill press
without the extraneous grooves.

Any help would be appreciated.

Paul K. Dickman

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

My brother is trying to copy a gizmo and has decided to pester me about it.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 14 Apr 2011 13:08:49 -0700, Winston

On Apr 14, 9:53 am, "Paul K. wrote:
My brother is trying to copy a gizmo and has decided to pester me about it.
At the heart of this item is something that seems to be a stock device with
some mounting hdw welded on.
If we could get a name for this device, we can search for it.

It is simply a heavy (1 1/8" dia) rotating shaft mounted in bearings. The
bearings, however, aren't mounted in pillow blocks or flanges, they are
mounted in a cylinder.

For all intents and purposes, it looks like the quill from your drill press
without the extraneous grooves.

Any help would be appreciated.

Paul K. Dickman

Sounds like a steering head/headset ready to be welded into a frame.

Dave

Jack Shaft?

--Winston

http://tinyurl.com/3k9xj8n

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I have some cylindrical bearings-and-shaft assemblies/cartridges that sound
like what is described here, and IIRC, they were referred to as pump bearing
assemblies.

The outer ends of the bearings are sealed, and the shaft ends are different
diameters, as though they were made for a specific application.

There wasn't a manufacturer's name on them, but I don't recall if the outer
case was a machined cast iron sleeve, or machined steel tubing.

--
WB

"Paul K. Dickman" wrote in message
My brother is trying to copy a gizmo and has decided to pester me about
it.
At the heart of this item is something that seems to be a stock device
with some mounting hdw welded on.
If we could get a name for this device, we can search for it.

It is simply a heavy (1 1/8" dia) rotating shaft mounted in bearings. The
bearings, however, aren't mounted in pillow blocks or flanges, they are
mounted in a cylinder.

For all intents and purposes, it looks like the quill from your drill
press without the extraneous grooves.

Any help would be appreciated.

Paul K. Dickman

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Thanks guys.

Although nothing hit it on the head, you got me looking in a new direction.

I tracked down something that was not exactly what I was thinking about, but
should work.
It is called a "two bearing housing" and is designed as a pillow block for
big honkin' fans.

Paul K. Dickman

"Wild_Bill" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 16 Apr 2011 17:03:57 -0500, "Paul K. Dickman"
wrote:

Thanks guys.

Although nothing hit it on the head, you got me looking in a new direction.

I tracked down something that was not exactly what I was thinking about, but
should work.
It is called a "two bearing housing" and is designed as a pillow block for
big honkin' fans.

There are also bearing units intended for supporting screw conveyors:
http://pt.rexnord.com/products/e-cat...Rid=5809&spec=

Very rugged, but rather expensive. $229 for that size last time I
bought one.

For less than $100 Misumi will make pretty much anything you might
need, as long as a metric bore is OK, and you don't need set screws to
lock the shaft.
http://us.misumi-ec.com/us/CategoryS..._21070200.html

--
Ned Simmons

Another Whatzit? Jim Thompson Electronic Schematics 3 June 1st 09 01:24 AM
Whatzit called? SteveB Metalworking 5 September 22nd 08 06:41 AM
New WhatzIt - WhatzIt.jpg Jim Thompson Electronic Schematics 48 December 16th 07 04:08 PM
New WhatZit? - WhatZit-Gadget.JPG Jim Thompson Electronic Schematics 7 April 3rd 07 02:29 AM
WhatZit? - WhatZit.pdf Jim Thompson Electronic Schematics 21 March 31st 07 05:42 AM