Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Spehro Pefhany Spehro Pefhany is offline

Default Whatzit called?

On Thu, 14 Apr 2011 13:08:49 -0700, Winston

On Apr 14, 9:53 am, "Paul K. wrote:
My brother is trying to copy a gizmo and has decided to pester me about it.
At the heart of this item is something that seems to be a stock device with
some mounting hdw welded on.
If we could get a name for this device, we can search for it.

It is simply a heavy (1 1/8" dia) rotating shaft mounted in bearings. The
bearings, however, aren't mounted in pillow blocks or flanges, they are
mounted in a cylinder.

For all intents and purposes, it looks like the quill from your drill press
without the extraneous grooves.

Any help would be appreciated.

Paul K. Dickman

Sounds like a steering head/headset ready to be welded into a frame.

Dave

Jack Shaft?

--Winston

http://tinyurl.com/3k9xj8n