Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ned Simmons Ned Simmons is offline

Default Whatzit called?

On Sat, 16 Apr 2011 17:03:57 -0500, "Paul K. Dickman"
wrote:

Thanks guys.

Although nothing hit it on the head, you got me looking in a new direction.

I tracked down something that was not exactly what I was thinking about, but
should work.
It is called a "two bearing housing" and is designed as a pillow block for
big honkin' fans.

There are also bearing units intended for supporting screw conveyors:
http://pt.rexnord.com/products/e-cat...Rid=5809&spec=

Very rugged, but rather expensive. $229 for that size last time I
bought one.

For less than $100 Misumi will make pretty much anything you might
need, as long as a metric bore is OK, and you don't need set screws to
lock the shaft.
http://us.misumi-ec.com/us/CategoryS..._21070200.html

--
Ned Simmons