Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default 19 Hours and 4 Minutes. Darn!

AS I mentioned in that other thread I ran a simulation on a piece of
G-code with over 358K lines of code. The simulation said it should take
18 hrs and 57 minutes. I set the alarm on my phone and let it run while
I chased down a battery for my bike, worked on another design, slept,
etc etc... I was there just before it was supposed to finish, and I had
to stand there twiddling ym thumbs for 7 hole minutes. Bogus man! Bogus.

LOL.

Actually, I think that was pretty darn good calculating considering that
it took a couple hours for the simulation to run.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2011-04-09, Bob La Londe wrote:
AS I mentioned in that other thread I ran a simulation on a piece of
G-code with over 358K lines of code. The simulation said it should take
18 hrs and 57 minutes. I set the alarm on my phone and let it run while
I chased down a battery for my bike, worked on another design, slept,
etc etc... I was there just before it was supposed to finish, and I had
to stand there twiddling ym thumbs for 7 hole minutes. Bogus man! Bogus.

LOL.

Actually, I think that was pretty darn good calculating considering that
it took a couple hours for the simulation to run.

Pretty good. I turn off lights in the garage, except for a small light
on the mill, and watch it from afar via a netcam. I call it "lights
out manufacturing".

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2011-04-09, Bob La Londe wrote:
AS I mentioned in that other thread I ran a simulation on a piece of
G-code with over 358K lines of code. The simulation said it should take
18 hrs and 57 minutes. I set the alarm on my phone and let it run while
I chased down a battery for my bike, worked on another design, slept,
etc etc... I was there just before it was supposed to finish, and I had
to stand there twiddling ym thumbs for 7 hole minutes. Bogus man!
Bogus.

LOL.

Actually, I think that was pretty darn good calculating considering that
it took a couple hours for the simulation to run.

Pretty good. I turn off lights in the garage, except for a small light
on the mill, and watch it from afar via a netcam. I call it "lights
out manufacturing".

I do something similar except I run a couple commercial DVRs on my home/shop
network. I keep meaning to setup access on my cell, but for now I just have
to link my cell to my laptop when I'm out running errands in order to check
on it. I've got three video cables run over to that area, and if I'm really
worried about an operation I'll put the monitor (composite out module
between KVM and monitor) output on one of them so I can access that too. It
even works with the monitor turned off.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2011-04-09, Bob La Londe wrote:
[...]

I have a netcam and I can watch it with my browser, as well as my cell
phone.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Bob La Londe" wrote in message
AS I mentioned in that other thread I ran a simulation on a piece of
G-code with over 358K lines of code. The simulation said it should take
18 hrs and 57 minutes. I set the alarm on my phone and let it run while I
chased down a battery for my bike, worked on another design, slept, etc
etc... I was there just before it was supposed to finish, and I had to
stand there twiddling ym thumbs for 7 hole minutes. Bogus man! Bogus.

LOL.

Actually, I think that was pretty darn good calculating considering that
it took a couple hours for the simulation to run.

The feedrate clock on your controller is out of calibration.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2011-04-09, Bob La Londe wrote:
[...]

I recently found that a friend of mine runs a CNC router. He says he
won't leave the shop with it running due to potential fires. I guess
crashes in wood are more dangerous to leave unattended. The netcam
and cell phone monitors are a very good idea.

--
If you're looking for the key to the Universe,
I've got some good news and some bad news.

The bad news: There is no key to the Universe.

The good news: It was never locked.
--Swami Beyondananda
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2011-04-09, Bob La Londe wrote:
[...]

I would think that wood dust is much more dangerous than metal
shavings. Also, I have water based coolant flowing.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2011-04-09, Bob La Londe wrote:
[...]

Yes, but most CNC routers have a very efficient dust collector
attached at the router so dust is minimized.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rKzk_25fTVE

--
If you're looking for the key to the Universe,
I've got some good news and some bad news.

The bad news: There is no key to the Universe.

The good news: It was never locked.
--Swami Beyondananda
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2011-04-09, Bob La Londe wrote:
[...]

However..Ive seen more than one vacuum system catch fire from sucking up
an ember.

Gunner

--
"If I say two plus two is four and a Democrat says two plus two is eight,
it's not a partial victory for me when we agree that two plus two is
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"PrecisionmachinisT" wrote in message
news:lcGdncpD2t4WrDzQnZ2dnUVZ_vidnZ2d@scnresearch. com...

"Bob La Londe" wrote in message
AS I mentioned in that other thread I ran a simulation on a piece of
G-code with over 358K lines of code. The simulation said it should take
18 hrs and 57 minutes. I set the alarm on my phone and let it run while
I chased down a battery for my bike, worked on another design, slept, etc
etc... I was there just before it was supposed to finish, and I had to
stand there twiddling ym thumbs for 7 hole minutes. Bogus man! Bogus.

LOL.

Actually, I think that was pretty darn good calculating considering that
it took a couple hours for the simulation to run.

The feedrate clock on your controller is out of calibration.

Could be. I suspect its more that I have not installed the same profile on
both machines and checked things like the kernel speed. I just set the max
motor IPM and acceleration the same. 7 minutes on a 19 hour job isn't
horrible I suspect. Might be a big deal in robotic shop where one machine
processes a part and passes it off to another machine, but I would set it up
so that the completion of the job triggered the 2nd machine rather than
counting on timing alone. Timing would only be an issue to me from an
efficiency standpoint.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2011-04-09, Bob La Londe wrote:
[...]

Makes sense. Wood dust in the air can be more dangerous than just a fire.
There can be some pretty spectacular explosions. Don't believe it, throw a
handful of flour at a fire some time. Outdoors of course. Then imagine
flammable dust blowing around in the air in a building. Same thing. I
would constantly supervise a wood job, and have a vacuum system if I used it
a lot for wood. I do some wood for things like engraved plaques, but they
are usually so quick that I am getting the next piece ready and hold my vise
wrench in my hand while its cutting.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Bob La Londe" wrote:

The feedrate clock on your controller is out of calibration.

Could be. I suspect its more that I have not installed the same profile on
both machines and checked things like the kernel speed. I just set the max
motor IPM and acceleration the same. 7 minutes on a 19 hour job isn't
horrible I suspect. Might be a big deal in robotic shop where one machine
processes a part and passes it off to another machine, but I would set it up
so that the completion of the job triggered the 2nd machine rather than
counting on timing alone. Timing would only be an issue to me from an
efficiency standpoint.

I was going to say, your rapid feed profile wasn't modeled correctly.

Wes
in their eyes." Dick Anthony Heller

Darn thieves! Cory[_2_] Home Repair 40 November 28th 10 01:50 AM
Those darn fuses Gerald Newton Home Repair 3 January 26th 07 05:01 AM
Darn crack! stoutman Woodworking 13 April 26th 06 12:10 AM
Darn MSC AL Metalworking 3 March 20th 06 04:15 PM
Sony 32in turns off after 15 minutes, then 5 minutes Jean-Pierre Dube Electronics Repair 4 February 19th 04 03:20 AM