Posted to rec.woodworking
stoutman

Default Darn crack!

My cherry table frame is assembled and I was doing some final sanding and
noticed a small crack up at the top of one of the legs. It can be seen form
the top and the side of the leg. I am guessing it was there all along, I
just never noticed it until now. I don't think it was anything I did wrong,
but It bugs the crap out of me. It is only a hair line crack. I took a
little glue and fine cherry saw dust and made a paste and worked it into the
crack with my finger pretty good. I let it dry and sanded and scraped. I
also applied glue to the top of the leg and worked it in. From the side,
the repair blends in well with the grain and is barely noticeable.

My question is this: Do I have to worry about this sucker opening up over
time? If it opens up I think I would be able to clamp it back with a little
glue and maybe rout a groove across the crack on top of the leg and inlay a
piece of wood 90 to the crack. I'm ****ed.
My second question is: Does this kind of crap always happen with a project?
It seems that there is always something that goes wrong that appears to be
out of my control.

--
Stoutman
http://www.garagewoodworks.com

Posted to rec.woodworking
todd

"stoutman" .@. wrote in message
.. .
My cherry table frame is assembled and I was doing some final sanding and
noticed a small crack up at the top of one of the legs. It can be seen
form the top and the side of the leg. I am guessing it was there all
along, I just never noticed it until now. I don't think it was anything I
did wrong, but It bugs the crap out of me. It is only a hair line crack.
I took a little glue and fine cherry saw dust and made a paste and worked
it into the crack with my finger pretty good. I let it dry and sanded and
scraped. I also applied glue to the top of the leg and worked it in.
From the side, the repair blends in well with the grain and is barely
noticeable.

My question is this: Do I have to worry about this sucker opening up over
time? If it opens up I think I would be able to clamp it back with a
little glue and maybe rout a groove across the crack on top of the leg and
inlay a piece of wood 90 to the crack. I'm ****ed.
My second question is: Does this kind of crap always happen with a
project? It seems that there is always something that goes wrong that
appears to be out of my control.

--
Stoutman
http://www.garagewoodworks.com
(Featuring a NEW look)

Your only option at this point to to burn the table and start over... ;-)

todd

Posted to rec.woodworking
Bruce T

If you wanted perfect, injection-molded epoxy & crushed pecan shells from
Banladesh might be just the ticket!

"stoutman" .@. wrote in message
.. .
My cherry table frame is assembled and I was doing some final sanding and
noticed a small crack up at the top of one of the legs. It can be seen
form the top and the side of the leg. I am guessing it was there all
along, I just never noticed it until now. I don't think it was anything I
did wrong, but It bugs the crap out of me. It is only a hair line crack.
I took a little glue and fine cherry saw dust and made a paste and worked
it into the crack with my finger pretty good. I let it dry and sanded and
scraped. I also applied glue to the top of the leg and worked it in.
From the side, the repair blends in well with the grain and is barely
noticeable.

My question is this: Do I have to worry about this sucker opening up over
time? If it opens up I think I would be able to clamp it back with a
little glue and maybe rout a groove across the crack on top of the leg and
inlay a piece of wood 90 to the crack. I'm ****ed.
My second question is: Does this kind of crap always happen with a
project? It seems that there is always something that goes wrong that
appears to be out of my control.

--
Stoutman
http://www.garagewoodworks.com
(Featuring a NEW look)

Posted to rec.woodworking
TwoThousandand EightyNineDEAD

Don't cry............................

You can survive the crack, I know it's tough I feel for ya!

Ya poor Guy, think if you had just come back from Iraq minus a leg and an
arm, just think how tough it'd be on you fixin' that there table.

Lucky for you, You have all your limbs, just shy any real brain matter!

"stoutman" .@. wrote in message
.. .
My cherry table frame is assembled and I was doing some final sanding and
noticed a small crack up at the top of one of the legs. It can be seen
form the top and the side of the leg. I am guessing it was there all
along, I just never noticed it until now. I don't think it was anything I
did wrong, but It bugs the crap out of me. It is only a hair line crack.
I took a little glue and fine cherry saw dust and made a paste and worked
it into the crack with my finger pretty good. I let it dry and sanded and
scraped. I also applied glue to the top of the leg and worked it in.
From the side, the repair blends in well with the grain and is barely
noticeable.

My question is this: Do I have to worry about this sucker opening up over
time? If it opens up I think I would be able to clamp it back with a
little glue and maybe rout a groove across the crack on top of the leg and
inlay a piece of wood 90 to the crack. I'm ****ed.
My second question is: Does this kind of crap always happen with a
project? It seems that there is always something that goes wrong that
appears to be out of my control.

--
Stoutman
http://www.garagewoodworks.com
(Featuring a NEW look)

Posted to rec.woodworking
Edwin Pawlowski

"stoutman" .@. wrote in message
My question is this: Do I have to worry about this sucker opening up over
time? If it opens up I think I would be able to clamp it back with a
little glue and maybe rout a groove across the crack on top of the leg and
inlay a piece of wood 90 to the crack. I'm ****ed.

I'd drill a small hole at the end of the crack and they do the filler thing.

My second question is: Does this kind of crap always happen with a
project?

Yes.

It seems that there is always something that goes wrong that appears to be
out of my control.

Yes.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon

"stoutman" .@. wrote in message
.. .
My cherry table frame is assembled and I was doing some final sanding and
noticed a small crack up at the top of one of the legs. It can be seen
form the top and the side of the leg. I am guessing it was there all
along, I just never noticed it until now. I don't think it was anything I
did wrong, but It bugs the crap out of me. It is only a hair line crack.
I took a little glue and fine cherry saw dust and made a paste and worked
it into the crack with my finger pretty good. I let it dry and sanded and
scraped. I also applied glue to the top of the leg and worked it in.
From the side, the repair blends in well with the grain and is barely
noticeable.

My question is this: Do I have to worry about this sucker opening up over
time? If it opens up I think I would be able to clamp it back with a
little glue and maybe rout a groove across the crack on top of the leg and
inlay a piece of wood 90 to the crack. I'm ****ed.
My second question is: Does this kind of crap always happen with a
project? It seems that there is always something that goes wrong that
appears to be out of my control.

The thicker stock you work with the more likely it may split. I would not
worry about it until something actually happens, if anything actually
happens.

Posted to rec.woodworking
hard_way

If it were easy everybody would be doing it.

You could set up a jig for your router and create a deep mortise in the
top of the leg and glue in a plug with polyurethane glue. Just make
sure the grain of the plug is going the same direction as the grain in
the leg, and if possible set the mortise at least a quarter of an inch
from the outside edge of the leg, other wise a thin bit of material
will just split away in another spot when the wood decides to move
again. Good Luck!

Part of the joy of furniture building is the oppertunity to solve
problems. That is why I gave up my job in industry, to do it full time
years ago. Just didn't want to take another order for the same old
blah, blah, blah, widgit. Give me a tough problem to solve anyday over
that.

On the other hand, I notice minor anomalies in my pieces, and others,
because my eye is trained for it. My wife and I went to visit some
relatives who had lived in their house for four years, but had never
noticed that half of the turned posts in the balcony railing had been
installed up-side down.

Posted to rec.woodworking
tom

It's a design feature, but one that probably only you will notice. Tom

Posted to rec.woodworking
bremen68

Think of it as adding character.

With any project there will always be several items that don't go quite
the you'd planned. Thus the need for creative engineering, adaptation,
and ingenious repair. ;-)

Posted to rec.woodworking
mac davis

On Mon, 24 Apr 2006 22:32:39 -0500, "todd" wrote:

Your only option at this point to to burn the table and start over... ;-)

todd

no, that's only one option..
The other is send it to me.. I'll put the leg with the ugly deformity against
the wall where it won't be noticed..

If all else fails, I'm sure that a little black latex will hide the brads until
the glue dries..
Mac

https://home.comcast.net/~mac.davis

Posted to rec.woodworking

stoutman wrote:
My cherry table frame is assembled and I was doing some final sanding and
noticed a small crack up at the top of one of the legs....

Usually the crack is found at the top of two legs.

This will fix it:

http://dilbretta.blogs.com/my_scoop/...ackSpackle.wmv

--

FF

Posted to rec.woodworking
Teamcasa

"stoutman" .@. wrote in message
.. .
My cherry table frame is assembled and I was doing some final sanding and
noticed a small crack up at the top of one of the legs. It can be seen
form the top and the side of the leg. I am guessing it was there all
along, I just never noticed it until now. I don't think it was anything I
did wrong, but It bugs the crap out of me. It is only a hair line crack.
I took a little glue and fine cherry saw dust and made a paste and worked
it into the crack with my finger pretty good. I let it dry and sanded and
scraped. I also applied glue to the top of the leg and worked it in.
From the side, the repair blends in well with the grain and is barely
noticeable.

My question is this: Do I have to worry about this sucker opening up over
time? If it opens up I think I would be able to clamp it back with a
little glue and maybe rout a groove across the crack on top of the leg and
inlay a piece of wood 90 to the crack. I'm ****ed.
My second question is: Does this kind of crap always happen with a
project? It seems that there is always something that goes wrong that
appears to be out of my control.

--
Stoutman
http://www.garagewoodworks.com
(Featuring a NEW look)

You knew the job was dangerous when you took it!
Yes - It always happens. Anyone can slice up wood and make something. A
craftsman will hide or design around flaws so they work to his advantage.

Dave

http://www.usenet.com
Posted to rec.woodworking
Hambone Slim

"stoutman" wrote...

It is only a hair line crack. I took a
little glue and fine cherry saw dust and made a paste and worked it into

the
crack

....about the best you can do with something like that.

My question is this: Do I have to worry about this sucker opening up over
time?

Yes. Best bet, leave it alone, let it shrink to where it will, fill the
fissure someday with colored wax or colored shellac. Shellac's a little
more elegant, wax is easier.

My second question is: Does this kind of crap always happen with a

project?
It seems that there is always something that goes wrong that appears to be
out of my control.

You obviously failed to pray to Ganesh, the god of luck and wisdom, before
starting the project. You might also want to make an offering to the Tiki
gods to help defend against checking sprites in the future.

Hope this helps!

--
Timothy Juvenal
www.rude-tone.com/work.htm

Posted to rec.woodworking
gadgetman

A common solution I have used a few times is to fit a patch or
dutchman. Not as hard as it sounds. Chisel out a shallow groove say
1/8-1/4 inch, find a piece of matchin wood grain and color, use a
matching glue color, glue it in, plane or sand it off and voila, a lot
of times you can't see it wothout a magnifying glass and not likely to
crack again
Oh yeah, I pretty much only cuse crystal clear 5 minute epoxy (from a
hobby store) mixed with as much matching sawdust as possible to fill
it, then heat it a little to get out air bubble , leave it rounded on
top or several layers as it shrinks a little.
I always notice this stuff too, but realize no one else will.
Hope that helps,
Mike R

YQ-95 II Saws type cement concrete road surface crack cleaning machine [email protected] Home Repair 1 June 4th 06 12:20 AM
HELP Crack in brand new TV case - Best way to hide the repair???? willshak Home Repair 0 January 25th 05 01:33 AM
Repairing a small crack in poured basement abacus Home Repair 7 July 15th 04 03:53 AM
Foundation Cracks Bob W. Home Repair 3 December 22nd 03 05:39 PM
Crack in foundation and home buying decision Prospectivehomebuyer Home Ownership 12 December 16th 03 08:59 PM