Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default 19 Hours and 4 Minutes. Darn!

On Sun, 10 Apr 2011 08:06:55 -0700, Larry Jaques
wrote:

On Sun, 10 Apr 2011 09:03:51 -0500, Ignoramus22378

On 2011-04-10, Larry Jaques wrote:
On Sat, 09 Apr 2011 22:16:49 -0500, Ignoramus28444

On 2011-04-09, Bob La Londe wrote:
AS I mentioned in that other thread I ran a simulation on a piece of
G-code with over 358K lines of code. The simulation said it should take
18 hrs and 57 minutes. I set the alarm on my phone and let it run while
I chased down a battery for my bike, worked on another design, slept,
etc etc... I was there just before it was supposed to finish, and I had
to stand there twiddling ym thumbs for 7 hole minutes. Bogus man!
Bogus.

LOL.

Actually, I think that was pretty darn good calculating considering that
it took a couple hours for the simulation to run.

Pretty good. I turn off lights in the garage, except for a small light
on the mill, and watch it from afar via a netcam. I call it "lights
out manufacturing".

I do something similar except I run a couple commercial DVRs on my home/shop
network. I keep meaning to setup access on my cell, but for now I just have
to link my cell to my laptop when I'm out running errands in order to check
on it. I've got three video cables run over to that area, and if I'm really
worried about an operation I'll put the monitor (composite out module
between KVM and monitor) output on one of them so I can access that too. It
even works with the monitor turned off.

I have a netcam and I can watch it with my browser, as well as my cell
phone.

I recently found that a friend of mine runs a CNC router. He says he
won't leave the shop with it running due to potential fires. I guess
crashes in wood are more dangerous to leave unattended. The netcam
and cell phone monitors are a very good idea.

I would think that wood dust is much more dangerous than metal
shavings. Also, I have water based coolant flowing.

Yes, but most CNC routers have a very efficient dust collector
attached at the router so dust is minimized.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rKzk_25fTVE

However..Ive seen more than one vacuum system catch fire from sucking up
an ember.

Gunner

--
"If I say two plus two is four and a Democrat says two plus two is eight,
it's not a partial victory for me when we agree that two plus two is