Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Chipped teeth on saw blades, cutting aluminum...

Larry Jaques wrote:
On Fri, 01 Apr 2011 07:05:01 -0700,
wrote:

(...)

We weren't talking bout the saw, just the nature of the beast who goes
by the name of "carbide."

I really dunno about the nature of carbide.
Just guessing about the meaning of "dry", really.

Wear adequate safety gear and keep body parts
out of the path of hot chips occasionally ejected
at odd angles. AMHIKT.

BTDT, got the blisters, and did the screaming, frantic dances.

Who says old guys can't dance?

(...)

I think they meant "cuts 4 times faster than that gritty crap."

You are probably right.

(...)

Nice drive-by, suckah.

I can stop buying tools *any time I want*.
Ask me about my little Miller inverter welder.

Go ahead. Ask.

--Winston
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 01 Apr 2011 12:08:32 -0700, Winston
wrote:

Larry Jaques wrote:
BTDT, got the blisters, and did the screaming, frantic dances.

Who says old guys can't dance?

snort I almost inhaled a bite of dinner with that one.

Nice drive-by, suckah.

I can stop buying tools *any time I want*.
Ask me about my little Miller inverter welder.

Go ahead. Ask.

I don't dare. We're already courting another storm and if you suck
any more, it might shift it up here. I mowed today (less than 1'
tall) since it had dried up enough.

--
The secret of happiness is to make others believe they are the cause of it.
-- Al Batt
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Winston wrote:

Who says old guys can't dance?

Anyone who's seen them try? ;-)

--
You can't fix stupid. You can't even put a Band-Aid™ on it, because it's
Teflon coated.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Existential Angst" on Wed, 30 Mar 2011
08:24:04 -0400 typed in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:

"Depends on how much of a cut/chipload and the nature of the
finish you want."

I will switch to new or unchipped blades awaiting Group Advice.

Also, I have a 10" 80 tooth Morse Metal Devil specifically for alum, which
doesn't look much different than other non-specific 60 tooth carbide
blades -- except the price sticker, $90 !! It was given to me.

I just bought an Avanti two-pack of 10" 60 tooth from HD, for $29. Just
wondering what diffs between the two blades to expect, if any.

In the two pack?

No, between a blade advertised as specifically for alum (and for $90), vs.
low-end generic blades.
I would expect that long term in a more expensive blade the carbide would be
a better quality and better-brazed and thus would have a longer service
life, but I wonder if, short-term, there would be a noticeable difference
from the higher price and the "aluminum specificity".

IMHO - beats the heck out of me! I will assume that you get what
you pay for, mostly.
Again, I'll just say "Depends on if what you want can be done with
the cheap tools." I've a friend who is an Ace Anal Machinist (When I
crashed the machine I was on, it was only 35,000 to fix the spindle,
when he crashed his - 100,000 just for the spindle. Ever 'Fed ex' a
spindle from Germany? But I digress.)
I will tolerate finishes he won't, because "It is done". But he
wants everything Done Right. So he buys the quality tools. OTOH, he
knows where and how to get it for less. Lots less. He bought me a 1
inch mic with a twelve in throat - for twenty bucks, delivered!

--
pyotr filipivich
It's eight fifty eight. Close enough!
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"pyotr filipivich" wrote in message
[...]

I know a couple of A.A.M.'s , and I cain't ever let them see my "work",
otherwise they proly wouldn't talk to me anymore.

The concept of getting what you pay for is an inneresting one, tho. Esp.
when currency starts to lose its meaning.
--
EA

--
pyotr filipivich
It's eight fifty eight. Close enough!

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Existential Angst" on Wed, 6 Apr 2011 08:15:36
"pyotr filipivich" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

They will talk to you - pointing out all the flaws in your
project, the errors which lead to those flaws, and the corrections you
should have made before you started.

The concept of getting what you pay for is an inneresting one, tho. Esp.
when currency starts to lose its meaning.

Ayup. In the novel _Malevel_ the main character is a horse
trader. After the Event (WW3) he and his group swap food with the
survivors in the local village, for two of their horses. A henchman
wants a bribe for allowing him to take the saddle and bridle. Etienne
trades his gold ring for the tack - reasoning that it will be decades
before gold will be "valuable" but with these two mare and the
stallion at home, he will have a monopoly on horse production in the
valley (and "the world".)