Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Update on Mary

I have friends here that care, other readers please ignore.

We were at Mayo Monday and Wednesday.

We now have a course of action and treatment.

Diagnosis is 99% sure that Mary's disease is primary light-chain
amyloidosis involving her heart and gut. The 1% doubt that will be
resolved with lab results not yet available concerns the particular
form of the disease but it's really a matter of i-dotting and
t-crossing confirmation of other diagnostic results.

This is an incurable disease, a form of cancer. It's akin to leukemia
in that it involves white blood cells, different in that it involves
different white cells.

It's rare, 8 people per million rare. Nobody knows more about it
than Mayo. It is a very difficult disease to treat because it has
many dimensions and manifestations, and interactions with other
issues like cardiac, gastrointestinal and all other organs though
Mary's issues at present are cardiac and GI.

Because there is clearly cardiac involvement and damage, sudden death
by heart failure is more probable than for a person without such
damage. We agree that sudden death by heart failure or whatever
purely beats the hell out of a lingering death fraught with pain.
Neither of us wants to survive the other. We've been teammates since
forever. We each and both are a bit selfish in not wanting to be a
grieving survivor, and we share a sense of humor about that. It's a
bad idea to **** my Mary off, but she does appreciate a good joke.

We think we have top-notch professionals in hemotology, oncology and
cardiology on Mary's team.

An initial chemotherapy regimen has been defined, which Mary will
begin immedately. Meanwhile, the cardiologists will try to manage
the conflicting issues of low blood pressure (hence seriously
diminished physical capacity) vs edema, vs side effects from the
chemo.

Mary's sense of humor is undiminished.

The cardiologist of late appointment today, upon first encounter with
Mary, noted discoloration of her nose. What up with that? I
paraphrase, the cardiologist was Indian, not Afro. Anyway, Mar
noted that a fellow patient in an aside in the waiting room said "I
sure hope you're having a better day than I am." The guy was 79 and
we think that he received some very bad news about either himself or
his wife but probably himself (the self-centered asshole!) I'd
noticed the despair in this man when he plopped into a chair in the
waiting area but I didn't observe the interaction between him and
Mary. Mary had cried a bit for him so her nose was red.

Why do I love her so?

We noted this evening that Rochester is 90 minutes bed-to-bed. That's
an easy commute. We'll probably be doing that with some frequency.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Don Foreman wrote:
I have friends here that care, other readers please ignore.

Hang in there, Don.
Please convey our good wishes to Mary as well.

--Winston
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

My prayers are with Mary..and with you.

Gunner

--
"Confiscating wealth from those who have earned it, inherited it,
or got lucky is never going to help 'the poor.' Poverty isn't
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Don, Thanks for the update. Please tell Mary our prayers are with her.

I've also spent serious time at Mayo for my son. No question you are
at the best in the world. I also spent a LOT of time at the hospital
in Coon Rapids for the same problem. That may be your local hosipital.
I hope to not return there.

Karl

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 04 Nov 2010 01:29:33 -0500, Don Foreman
wrote:

snip
Why do I love her so?

We noted this evening that Rochester is 90 minutes bed-to-bed. That's
an easy commute. We'll probably be doing that with some frequency.

Don, I'll pray for the both of you.

Pete Keillor

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

My best wishes to you Don.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

I have friends here that care, other readers please ignore.

We were at Mayo Monday and Wednesday.

We now have a course of action and treatment.

Diagnosis is 99% sure that Mary's disease is primary light-chain
amyloidosis involving her heart and gut. The 1% doubt that will be
resolved with lab results not yet available concerns the particular
form of the disease but it's really a matter of i-dotting and
t-crossing confirmation of other diagnostic results.

This is an incurable disease, a form of cancer. It's akin to leukemia
in that it involves white blood cells, different in that it involves
different white cells.

****, ****, ****. Condolences to both of you, Don.

Mary's sense of humor is undiminished.

Good. Have you called Drs. House and/or Wilson out of retirement yet?

We noted this evening that Rochester is 90 minutes bed-to-bed. That's
an easy commute. We'll probably be doing that with some frequency.

Suckage.

--
Experience is a good teacher, but she send in terrific bills.
-- Minna Thomas Antrim
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

*
Cancer is an obscenity,

I am sorry.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Nov 4, 1:29*am, Don Foreman wrote:
[...]

Remember the Serenity Prayer.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Don Foreman" wrote in message
[...]

Don, you've spent enough days under the bus to know that it's the days you
DON'T spend under the bus that make all the difference. And even on the bad
days, there's tenderness and love. My best to you and Mary. It is
refreshing to see two people today who love each other as much as you two
do.

Steve

Heart surgery pending?
Read up and prepare.
Learn how to care for a friend.
http://cabgbypasssurgery.com

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 11/4/2010 1:29 AM, Don Foreman wrote:
[...]

My prayers are with you both.
May God give you strength and continued good humor.
Rex

--
I can see November from my front porch
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Don Foreman wrote:

I have friends here that care, other readers please ignore.

She (and you) will be in my prayers, Karl.
Give her my respects too.

--

Richard Lamb
email me:

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Nov 4, 2:29*am, Don Foreman wrote:
I have friends here that care, other readers please ignore.

You do have friends that care. If you can think of anything we can
do, let up know.

Dan
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Don Foreman wrote:

[...]

Best wishes for successful treatment and management of the condition.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

We noted this evening that Rochester is 90 minutes bed-to-bed. That's
an easy commute. We'll probably be doing that with some frequency.

Don, stay strong for both of you. Best of luck. I don't think you can
do more than you have.

-- sp

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Nov 4, 2:29*am, Don Foreman wrote:
I have friends here that care

Indeed you do, and I count myself among them, politics be damned.

You also both have excellent attitudes, and that can make a world of
difference in quality of life - ant that's what it's all about, isn't
it?

Hang in there.

RS
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 11/03/2010 11:29 PM, Don Foreman wrote:
I have friends here that care, other readers please ignore.

Best of luck - cancer's a bitch.

We lost my dad two years ago, and it took a year just for my mom to
start recovering. There is life after a loved-one's death, even if
things look pretty damn dark when it happens.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 11/04/2010 01:29 AM, Don Foreman wrote:

This is an incurable disease, a form of cancer. It's akin to leukemia
in that it involves white blood cells, different in that it involves
different white cells.

Wow, bad news! So sorry to hear it! Well, of course, with really rare
diseases, nobody really knows the prognosis all that well, so it might
not be as bad as it seems. You (both) could get lucky!

Jon
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

I have friends here that care, other readers please ignore.

We were at Mayo Monday and Wednesday.

We now have a course of action and treatment.

Diagnosis is 99% sure that Mary's disease is primary light-chain
amyloidosis involving her heart and gut.

snip

Best wishes for a speedy recovery. If you are are at Mayo,
you are doing everything you can.

-- Unka George (George McDuffee)
The past is a foreign country;
they do things differently there.
L. P. Hartley (1895-1972), British author.
The Go-Between, Prologue (1953).
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Don Foreman wrote:

Mary's sense of humor is undiminished.

That is going to help immeasurably along with you being at her side.

I'll keep you both in my prayers.

Wes

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Don Foreman wrote:

[...]

Both of you are in my prayers, Don.

enough left over to pay them.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

toolbreaker wrote:

Cancer is an obscenity,

I am sorry.

It took one of my parents, and almost got the other.

enough left over to pay them.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Don Foreman"
I have friends here that care, other readers please ignore.

We were at Mayo Monday and Wednesday.

We now have a course of action and treatment.

Sorry to hear. :(( phil

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

And the rest of the prayers. Now, is a good time to rediscover the
religion you either enjoy, or left behind. Best wishes. I hope this
works out well for you (in God's eyes). Often God's will is not our
will. You may find out much later, why something happened, and realize
much later, that it was for good.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Denis G."
wrote in message

Remember the Serenity Prayer.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Don Foreman wrote in
:

I have friends here that care, other readers please ignore.

We were at Mayo Monday and Wednesday.

We now have a course of action and treatment.

Diagnosis is 99% sure that Mary's disease is primary light-chain
amyloidosis involving her heart and gut. The 1% doubt that will be
resolved with lab results not yet available concerns the particular
form of the disease but it's really a matter of i-dotting and
t-crossing confirmation of other diagnostic results.

This is an incurable disease, a form of cancer. It's akin to leukemia
in that it involves white blood cells, different in that it involves
different white cells.

Past posts suggest that Mary is a tough old bird. Yesterday's incurable
is today's tricky bit of modern medicine. I have a buddy that had stage
4 kidney cancer who is now pretty much fully cured. if he'd come down
with it two years earlier, he'd be 6 feet under.

Hang tough, both of you, and good luck.

Doug White

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

There are very few places in the US that are the equal of Mayo for
overall knowledge and services.

RWL

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 4 Nov 2010 07:50:57 -0700 (PDT), "Denis G."
wrote:

[...]

Serenity Prayer for the Stressed (Blueyes424)

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the
courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide
the bodies of those people I had to kill today because they ****ed me
off.

And also, help me to be careful of the toes I step on today, because
they may be connected to the ass I have to kiss tomorrow.

Help me to always give 100% at work: 12% on Monday, 23% on Tuesday,
40% on Wednesday, 20% on Thursday, and 5% on Friday.

And help me to remember when I am having a REALLY bad day, and it
seems that people are trying to **** me off, that it takes 42 muscles
to frown and only 4 to extend my middle finger and tell them to bite
me.

Amen

--
Experience is a good teacher, but she send in terrific bills.
-- Minna Thomas Antrim
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Wow! I knew I had a few friends here, but wow. Thanks for all the
good thoughts and wishes.

I didn't mean to imply gloom and doom. The disease is incurable and
can have eventually fatal effect on vital organs, but we really don't
have a prognosis yet and all indications are that it's early stages.
We're both expecting that she will get better with a treatment
protocol now starting, devised by the small team on her case at Mayo
to optimize quality of life by managing effects of the disease while
minimizing or arresting its progress as much as possible.

We think that's exactly the right focus, and we're optimistic for the
time being. We know we won't live forever. We've always said we'd
like to check out same day with a nickel left, both grinning and
flipping the bird at the grim reaper. We think there may well be a
few more good years for us.

My ex-wife and my high school sweetheart that I was going to marry and
live happily ever after with (but didn't) died within a day of each
other in autumn of 2007, both of aggressive cancers. Spookey.

I was circling the drain in May of '08 but was saved by a good surgeon
and a bit of attitude. Gettin' old is not for sissies.

I don't fear death, and I don't think Mary does. We're both
experienced with death of others and grief for them. We do what we
can to avoid it and forestall it for ourselves, but we accept that
it's inevitable.

Best we can do is enjoy our lives and each other for as long as we
last until our chits expire. Quality life is job 1 every day.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Steve B" wrote in message

[...]

Very well said Steve.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:
[...]

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * -- Minna Thomas Antrim- Hide quoted text -

I hadn't seen that version. It must be from one of those funny spin-
off denominations.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Hang in there. Just keep hangin' in there. Our thoughts are with
you.

--
"Steamboat Ed" Haas : Zippy sez 'Cast your votes
Hacking the Trailing Edge! : for vindictive jerks!'
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 11/04/2010 10:42 PM, Don Foreman wrote:
Wow! I knew I had a few friends here, but wow. Thanks for all the
good thoughts and wishes.

I didn't mean to imply gloom and doom. The disease is incurable and
can have eventually fatal effect on vital organs,

Oh -- like that universal disease called 'life', then.

but we really don't
have a prognosis yet and all indications are that it's early stages.

(Not to make light of your predicament -- I'm still wishing you the best
of luck on this)

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 05 Nov 2010 00:42:43 -0500, Don Foreman
wrote:

Wow! I knew I had a few friends here, but wow. Thanks for all the
good thoughts and wishes.

BIG SNIP

Hey Don and Mary,

Well, you both just remember that all of us "out here", while we're
either pushing or pulling at any given moment, for sure that means
we're beside you.

Brian Lawson
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Sorry to hear about Mary, Don.
Our hearts, thoughts and prayers are with you _both_.

Bob
rgentry at oz dot net

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-11-04, Don Foreman wrote:
I have friends here that care, other readers please ignore.

We were at Mayo Monday and Wednesday.

We now have a course of action and treatment.

Diagnosis is 99% sure that Mary's disease is primary light-chain
amyloidosis involving her heart and gut. The 1% doubt that will be
resolved with lab results not yet available concerns the particular
form of the disease but it's really a matter of i-dotting and
t-crossing confirmation of other diagnostic results.

This is an incurable disease, a form of cancer. It's akin to leukemia
in that it involves white blood cells, different in that it involves
different white cells.

Ouch!

What does the 1% doubt cover? Something possibly better?

[ ... ]

Because there is clearly cardiac involvement and damage, sudden death
by heart failure is more probable than for a person without such
damage. We agree that sudden death by heart failure or whatever
purely beats the hell out of a lingering death fraught with pain.

That I can certainly understand and sympathize with.

Does "incurable" also eliminate a possibility of stabilizing it
at the current stage, if not causing remission?

[ ... ]

Mary's sense of humor is undiminished.

That is good!

A friend at work had lukemia, and was posting regular updates on
his status and treatment -- including significant technical details.
That was his way of dealing with it.

Best of luck,
DoN.

--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 11/3/2010 11:29 PM, Don Foreman wrote:
[...]

Hey, you never know how these things will turn out. I know a guy, in his
early fifties that had cancer. It was bad, real bad. No one really knew
how to even treat it. He went to all kinds of doctors and they just
didn't know what to do. Eventually he went to a specialist in Spokane,
Wa. They treated him in a way I've never heard of before. The doctors
told him that his internal organs were all covered with cancer. The way
they handled his case was to operate on him and remove all his internal
organs and physically scrape away all the cancer and then put them back
in. When I heard this I figured he was history. That was about a month
ago and he's still alive. I have no idea what will happen but he's not
dead yet. So keep that in mind. You just don't know how medical things
are going to turn out. There is still a part of medicine that is an art
and a part that is just plain luck. I guess all you can do is get the
best doctors you can and hope for the best. Because you never really
know how things are going to play out. So I wish you luck.

Hawke
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 6 Nov 2010 02:46:53 GMT, "DoN. Nichols"

On 2010-11-04, Don Foreman wrote:
I have friends here that care, other readers please ignore.

We were at Mayo Monday and Wednesday.

We now have a course of action and treatment.

Diagnosis is 99% sure that Mary's disease is primary light-chain
amyloidosis involving her heart and gut. The 1% doubt that will be
resolved with lab results not yet available concerns the particular
form of the disease but it's really a matter of i-dotting and
t-crossing confirmation of other diagnostic results.

This is an incurable disease, a form of cancer. It's akin to leukemia
in that it involves white blood cells, different in that it involves
different white cells.

Ouch!

What does the 1% doubt cover? Something possibly better?

Not really. It concerns the detail of which particular variant of the
disease.

[ ... ]

Because there is clearly cardiac involvement and damage, sudden death
by heart failure is more probable than for a person without such
damage. We agree that sudden death by heart failure or whatever
purely beats the hell out of a lingering death fraught with pain.

That I can certainly understand and sympathize with.

Does "incurable" also eliminate a possibility of stabilizing it
at the current stage, if not causing remission?
[ ... ]

No. We're hopeful that chemotherapy will do that.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Myeloma sucks, that said it can be controlled with treatment in many
cases.

The drug bortezomib (Velcade) is working wonders, as are multiple
combinations of chemotherapy agents -revlimid, velcade, melphalan,
decadron, etc.

Google up the International Myeloma Foundation and read their pages or
request a free information pack.

Don't freak out on older statistics of prognosis/mortality as the
numbers have not caught up with new treatments.

Heeeeeeeeerrre's Mary Ann!!! Joe Woodworking 21 December 21st 09 05:55 AM
OT :- Q for Mary soup UK diy 1 August 4th 07 02:58 PM
Mary, Mary, quite contrary ... raden UK diy 0 June 19th 06 12:32 AM
MARY Bob Woodworking 0 November 29th 05 09:19 PM
[OT] - one for Mary raden UK diy 61 August 2nd 05 12:11 PM