raden

Default [OT] - one for Mary

Sitting out in the garden on Sunday, I noticed a wasp land on one of the
water lily leaves on my pond, it walked to the edge for a drink and then
flew off

I then noticed it or another one, (call me speciesist, but they all look
the same to me) come back at least a dozen times, landing in the same
place and walking over to exactly the same place for a drink

So, is this one thirsty wasp, or, if not, why do they all come to the
same spot and drink from exactly the same place

?

--
geoff
Mike Dodd

raden wrote:

Sitting out in the garden on Sunday, I noticed a wasp land on one of the
water lily leaves on my pond, it walked to the edge for a drink and then
flew off

I then noticed it or another one, (call me speciesist, but they all look
the same to me) come back at least a dozen times, landing in the same
place and walking over to exactly the same place for a drink

So, is this one thirsty wasp, or, if not, why do they all come to the
same spot and drink from exactly the same place

?

Reminds me...

I was out with a few mates to a local pub with beer garden, had some
fine English fare / pub grub sat out in the sun.

Empty plate - and a solitary wasp came for a close fly past. Out of
respect for the little critter I sliced a fine sliver off the gammon
rind, close by where the wasp was now inspecting the (empty-ish) plate.

Wasp siezed the sliver and took-off, rather old-fashioned Buck-Rogers
style (round and round and round it went, gaining a little height each
time), and buggered off to some place away.

Waitress came to collect plates, and all was as it should be.

Until the wasp returned.

It knew, to within inches, where the gammon rind should be, but 'twas
buggered if it could find it. Being a fairly traditional all-in-one
wooden tale/bench, the wasp could ascend/descend through the slats
without moving laterally, and did so, for several minutes, searching for
that elusive rind. It must have been a good 5 minutes, with a bunch of
6-8 30-somethings sat around this table with a wasp doing its nut
searching for supper. In the end it gave up, but I (don't know why)
found myself respecting them since that day.
Newshound

"Mike Dodd" no-address@lo0 wrote in message

Addressing Geoff's comment, being a physicist I recall Feynman's youthfull
experiments with ants, and wasps are social insects similar enough to ants
to a physicist, so I'd suspect they were going by smell.

Doesn't address Geoff's observation though

raden

In message , Newshound
writes

"Mike Dodd" no-address@lo0 wrote in message

Addressing Geoff's comment, being a physicist I recall Feynman's youthfull
experiments with ants, and wasps are social insects similar enough to ants
to a physicist, so I'd suspect they were going by smell.

Doesn't address Geoff's observation though

Or why Feynman spent half his life playing the bongos

--
geoff
dave stanton

On Mon, 25 Jul 2005 22:08:48 +0000, raden wrote:

Sitting out in the garden on Sunday, I noticed a wasp land on one of the
water lily leaves on my pond, it walked to the edge for a drink and then
flew off

I then noticed it or another one, (call me speciesist, but they all look
the same to me) come back at least a dozen times, landing in the same
place and walking over to exactly the same place for a drink

So, is this one thirsty wasp, or, if not, why do they all come to the
same spot and drink from exactly the same place

?

I know one year bees found our bird bath and there was a continual flight
of bees coming in to drink and carry water back to the hive.

Dave

Mary Fisher

"raden" wrote in message

Sitting out in the garden on Sunday, I noticed a wasp land on one of the
water lily leaves on my pond, it walked to the edge for a drink and then
flew off

I then noticed it or another one, (call me speciesist, but they all look
the same to me) come back at least a dozen times, landing in the same
place and walking over to exactly the same place for a drink

So, is this one thirsty wasp, or, if not, why do they all come to the same
spot and drink from exactly the same place

It might well have been the same wasp. Wasps, like all living creatures,
need water. They need it for themselves, for their brood (the larvae need
more water than the adults and the population in the nest is probably at its
peak) and in the weather we've had they need to keep the nest cool.
Evaporation of water helps this, it's dabbed around the nest, seemingly
randomly. Honeybees do the same.

I suspect that your wasp had found a suitable source of water and was coming
back for more. But if you think about it, if it was suitable for that wasp
it was suitable for others, so you can't guarantee that it's the same one.
They do tend to look very similar ...

I've noticed that wasps will land on the surface of the water in our (still)
pond. We can see the depressions of their feet in the surface tension. There
used to be large carp in the pond, one once swallowed a wasp. Only once -
and I've never seen a fish move as fast!

I'm very happy that you were interested and didn't want to swipe it.

Mary

Mary Fisher

"Mike Dodd" no-address@lo0 wrote in message

I was out with a few mates to a local pub with beer garden, had some fine
English fare / pub grub sat out in the sun.

Empty plate - and a solitary wasp came for a close fly past. Out of
respect for the little critter I sliced a fine sliver off the gammon rind,
close by where the wasp was now inspecting the (empty-ish) plate.

Wasp siezed the sliver and took-off, rather old-fashioned Buck-Rogers
style (round and round and round it went, gaining a little height each
time), and buggered off to some place away.

If you hadn't cut it off the wasp would probably have done it for herself
and that would have been even more fascinating to watch.

The flight pattern you observed is deliberate, the wasp notes the exact
position by observing landmarks so that it can return to a very specific
place.

Waitress came to collect plates, and all was as it should be.

Except for the wasp :-(

Until the wasp returned.

It knew, to within inches, where the gammon rind should be, but 'twas
buggered if it could find it.

Because the plate had been moved. The wasp didn't know anything about
waitresses; in nature a caterpillar or dead mouse wouldn't move far.

Being a fairly traditional all-in-one wooden tale/bench, the wasp could
ascend/descend through the slats without moving laterally, and did so, for
several minutes, searching for that elusive rind. It must have been a good
5 minutes, with a bunch of 6-8 30-somethings sat around this table with a
wasp doing its nut searching for supper.

It's not interested in you, its urge is to forage to feed the little ones at
home.

In fact the meat isn't supper for itself. Stop here if you're bored.

The adult is fully formed, fully grown, it has a short life and diesn't need
protein to build cells. The larvae are growing at a tremendous rate and need
a huge amount of protein.

The adult needs energy to fly. The larvae need very little energy, they're
stuck in a cell and can't move except for little wriggles to rid themselves
of successive larval skins. But adult wasps can't get energy (nectar) from
most flowers as bees do, they'd need long tongues which they don't have to
get down to the heart of a flower.There are a few flowers where the nectar
is available to wasps but not many - cotoneaster is onewhich is why you
might see wasps, hoverflies and the like on those bushes.

So the adults forage for meat. They will find living or dead flesh, they
don't care. If it's large like a cabbage white caterpillar they'll cut neat
cuircular pieces out of the living animal - I've seen three wasps at a time
on one but the caterpillar kept scoffing on my brassica. They'll take small
insects back to the nest whole. If they find a dead animal - or a piece of
ham on your plate (which is part of a dead animal) they'll cut the circular
piece out and fly home with it.

The magical part comes next. The tiny bit of protien is offered to a larva.
The larva chomps it - and in return exudes a sugary solution which the adult
laps up. In our terms it's a reward for its efforts, providing the
carbohydrate - energy source - essential for the adult to do its work - of
collecting protein so that the babies can grow into adults ... and so it
continues.

Now you might think that this is a pointless circular process - but so is
humankind. We do the same in foraging and feeding our babies and all we get
is the odd smile, a lot of wind and water, work, whinging and sometimes
heartbreak. Which is the better system?

The problem (in our terms) with social wasps comes when the adult population
is largeand the larval population has diminished - not as many eggs are
being laid and it will tail off to nothing. So there are too many biggies
wanting to get their sweet reward from a smaller population. That's when the
adults have to start looking for carbohydrate alternatives - jam, fruit,
carbohydrate drinks and honey (in the autumn wasps can be a real threat to a
colony of honeybees). They go to wherever they can find it, including inside
our houses.

In the end it gave up, but I (don't know why)

Well, if you went to Tescos and it wasn't there you'd give up looking for it
eventually ... wasps aren't daft. Their energy is precious, there'sno point
in wasting it.

found myself respecting them since that day.

I'm very pleased to hear it :-)

End of lecture, don't slam your desk li ..

Mary

Mary Fisher

"dave stanton" wrote in message
news

I know one year bees found our bird bath and there was a continual flight
of bees coming in to drink and carry water back to the hive.

Bees prefer somethingsolid but moist - such as a compost heap or damp peat
or mud to open water. A bird bath is an unusual source, there can't have
been anything else more suitable in the vicinity. But if it were small and
the water was warmish and there was something for the bees to stand on - a
stone for instance or the shallow edge of the bath - that will do.

Bees never go to our bird bath because it'sstainless steel with vertical
sides, birds can grip the relatively sharp edge but bees would fall in. They
don't like moving water at all.

I've put stones round the edge of our bird bath but I think there are lots
of local watering places for bees. Our bird bath is about three inches deep
and at least fifteen inches diameter, so that large birds can use it. And
they do! It's spectacular watching woodpigeons frolicking in there ...

Mary

Dave

Owain

Mary Fisher wrote:
Now you might think that this is a pointless circular process - but so is
humankind. We do the same in foraging and feeding our babies and all we get
is the odd smile, a lot of wind and water, work, whinging and sometimes
heartbreak. Which is the better system?

If you're lucky you might get a nice nursing home for your final years.
But that's not really relevant in evolutionary terms is it.

End of lecture, don't slam your desk li ..

stampede for the tuck shop

Owain

T i m

On Tue, 26 Jul 2005 09:44:35 +0100, "Mary Fisher"
wrote:

I suspect that your wasp had found a suitable source of water and was coming
back for more.

You would have thought, after the millions of years wasps have been
around they would have figured out a basic flexible (portable)
plumbing system?

They could have made a mini version of the Hoselock system or if they
actually bothered to build more durable homes, some semi-rigid plastic
pipework nicked off someone elses water supply like the pikeys do?

So, when they are not attacking carp, are they going to do any good
stuff for my tomato and runner bean plants (pollenation or whatever it
is) if the bees can't be bothered?

All the best .. ;-)

B. Sting

Mary Fisher

wrote:

I suspect that your wasp had found a suitable source of water and was
coming
back for more.

You would have thought, after the millions of years wasps have been
around they would have figured out a basic flexible (portable)
plumbing system?

They could have made a mini version of the Hoselock system or if they
actually bothered to build more durable homes, some semi-rigid plastic
pipework nicked off someone elses water supply like the pikeys do?

They obviously don't need to improve on their system.

So, when they are not attacking carp,

NONONO! The carp attacked the wasp. As wasps attack caterpillars! I suspect
that the wasp defended itself which isn't the same thing at all.

are they going to do any good
stuff for my tomato and runner bean plants (pollenation or whatever it
is)

Not a sausage. Wasps use animal protein, bees are vegetarians (excpept for
one or two exceptions in the tropics).

if the bees can't be bothered?

The bees CAN be bothered - they need pollen (for their brood's protein) and
nectar.

Runner beans are mostly pollinated by bumble bees, honey bees' tongues
aren't long enough to get into the flower, bumble bees are heavier so when
they land on the lower lip it opens and they can force their way in.

Sometimes honey bees will make a hole at the base of the flower to get the
nectar.

Mostly runner beans are self pollinating, tomatoes certainly are.

Pollination is merely assisted conception. You do understand what pollen is,
don't you?

Mary

Mary Fisher wrote:

Bees never go to our bird bath because it'sstainless steel with vertical
sides, birds can grip the relatively sharp edge but bees would fall in.

They do make suicidal efforts sometimes though, I'm always rescuing
bees (both bumble bees and honey bees) from our horses' water buckets.
I often wonder whether a well soaked bee has much chance of survival
but it must at least be more comfortable out of the bucket.

--
Chris Green

Mary Fisher

wrote in message ...
Mary Fisher wrote:

Bees never go to our bird bath because it'sstainless steel with vertical
sides, birds can grip the relatively sharp edge but bees would fall in.

They do make suicidal efforts sometimes though,

It's not a deliberate attempt at suicide!

I'm always rescuing
bees (both bumble bees and honey bees) from our horses' water buckets.

Good.

I often wonder whether a well soaked bee has much chance of survival

It has - if it can be dried, warmed and fed.

It's possible with both kinds of bee but with bumbles it's easy and there's
no worry about being stung. A honey bee might perceive your efforts as a
threat unless you're experienced.

What you do is put the bee on the palm of your hand - or a tissue but your
hand is warmer. Cup that hand and cup your other hand over it. Gently blow
into the void to warm the bee. If you can, get a SMALL amount of sugar water
(not honey unless you're confident that it's UK honey - imported honey can
cause problems, I'm not being patriotic) and put it close to the bee's head.
When it warms a little it will sense the sugar and put out its tongue,
you'll be able to see it 'pumping' up the fluid, it's fascinating. Keep
blowing gently and be pepared for the bee to begin trembling - that's a sign
that it's warming up but it can be a shock at first - like those computer
games where the control vibrates unexpectedly. It will also dry itself by
'combing' its fur with its legs.

The bee will begin to walk about, then you can open your hand, it will fly
off. The whole process could take ten minutes if the bee is soaked but it's
usually less. You might think it's not worth it but I think it is for the
experience. You won't be stung.

If you've put the bee on tissue giving it syrup is more difficult, leave it
on the end of a spoon close to the bee's head. If you can artificially warm
the bee it will speed the process - but not with a hair dryer, which will
blow it away or cook it - it needs to be indoors or in full sun. Gentle
breath is best in my experience.

but it must at least be more comfortable out of the bucket.

No, if it's chilled it will die. They don't usually drown, just stop living.
Insects are cold blooded - but you knew that!

Mary

--
Chris Green

Andrew Gabriel

In article ,
"Mary Fisher" writes:
I often wonder whether a well soaked bee has much chance of survival

It has - if it can be dried, warmed and fed.

It's possible with both kinds of bee but with bumbles it's easy and there's
no worry about being stung. A honey bee might perceive your efforts as a
threat unless you're experienced.

Do bumble bees ever sting?

I found a very dopey one in the house once which didn't seem to
be able to fly anymore. Caught it on a piece of card under a
beer mug (not that any much 'catching' was required). Put a drop
of liquid honey under there which it eventually found, and a few
hours later it had recovered and could fly off.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Mary Fisher

"Owain" wrote in message
Mary Fisher wrote:
Now you might think that this is a pointless circular process - but so is
humankind. We do the same in foraging and feeding our babies and all we
get is the odd smile, a lot of wind and water, work, whinging and
sometimes heartbreak. Which is the better system?

If you're lucky you might get a nice nursing home for your final years.

I'd consider that unlucky. I don't wantthat formyself or any of my family.

But that's not really relevant in evolutionary terms is it.

No.

End of lecture, don't slam your desk li ..

stampede for the tuck shop

sigh I don't know why I waste my breath!

Miss

Owain

Mary Fisher

"Andrew Gabriel" wrote in message
.. .

Do bumble bees ever sting?

Yes, and they don't die, they live to sting another day.But most don't, you
have to provoke them severely for them to do that. Spouse was once stung
when he was 'persuaded' to move a bumble bee nest against his advice. It was
a fragile thing and it broke, damaging the brood. Naturally the adults
weren't pleased but he only had two stings.

I found a very dopey one in the house once which didn't seem to
be able to fly anymore. Caught it on a piece of card under a
beer mug (not that any much 'catching' was required). Put a drop
of liquid honey under there which it eventually found, and a few
hours later it had recovered and could fly off.

Yes, but my caveat about using only genuine UK honey is good advice for the
sake of the helath of our own bees.

Mary

--
Andrew Gabriel

Alex

raden wrote:

So, is this one thirsty wasp, or, if not, why do they all come to the
same spot and drink from exactly the same place

Maybe they leave pheremone trails like ants do? (used to show the route
to a food source).

alex

--
Alex Meaden
Technical Support Officer
Mary Fisher

"Alex" wrote in message
raden wrote:

So, is this one thirsty wasp, or, if not, why do they all come to the
same spot and drink from exactly the same place

Maybe they leave pheremone trails like ants do? (used to show the route to
a food source).

*All* social insects communicate through pheromones [1] but as far as I know
it's not normal when wasps are searching for water. There will be a
'footprint' left on whatever the wasp is standing on but I opine that it
would be significant for other wasps - unless they found the same source for
themselves.

Mary

[1] and semi social insects and to a limited extent solitary insects too.

Owain

Mary Fisher wrote:
If you're lucky you might get a nice nursing home for your final years.

I'd consider that unlucky. I don't wantthat formyself or any of my family.

A nice nursing home (garden, resident pets, minibus for outings,
activities) would be luckier than a not-nice one (YTS nurses and
urine-soaked carpets)

Owain

Grumps

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
. net...

"Andrew Gabriel" wrote in message
.. .

Do bumble bees ever sting?

Yes, and they don't die, they live to sting another day.

This is very interesting. How has this myth come about, that a bumble bee
dies after stinging? Does it regenerate a new sting?

Mary Fisher

"Owain" wrote in message
Mary Fisher wrote:
If you're lucky you might get a nice nursing home for your final years.

I'd consider that unlucky. I don't want that formyself or any of my
family.

A nice nursing home (garden, resident pets,

PETS??? No THANKS! Unless they were chickens of course. I doubt that they'd
be allowed.

minibus for outings,

Outings? With a load of old folk? Such fun ... And anyway I get mini-bus
sick. That would be enhanced after institution meals. Blech.

activities)

You mean like Bingo? Or sing-alongs?? As achange from the wall to wall
television???

would be luckier than a not-nice one (YTS nurses and urine-soaked carpets)

I don't want *any* nursing home, thank you very much.

I'll live - and die - by myself in my caravan first.

Mary

Owain

Mary Fisher

"Grumps" wrote in message
"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
. net...

"Andrew Gabriel" wrote in message
.. .

Do bumble bees ever sting?

Yes, and they don't die, they live to sting another day.

This is very interesting. How has this myth come about, that a bumble bee
dies after stinging? Does it regenerate a new sting?

I've never heard that myth.

It's true that honey bees die after they've stung - that is after they've
stung a soft bodied creature such as a human or other mammal. Most people
don't understand that there ARE other bees than bumble bees because they
wouldn't notice an insignificant honey bee. I've been in gardens where there
have been honey bees foraging all round and the owners say they can't see
any - they think they're flies or wasps. Nothing like either to me but to
many people they are.

The reason a honey bee dies after stinging is because its sting is barbed.
When it's thrust into soft flesh that flesh closes round the sting and it
can't be withdrawn. The bee tries to pull away but can't so it goes round
and round - not tying to unscrew itself, it's like having one foot nailed to
the floor. It can't go in any other direction. That's another myth down the
hatch -that it tries to unscrew itself.

Eventually the bee does manage to tear itself away from the victim and flies
off - but the sting with its venom sac and muscles is left behind. It's
fascinating to watch, the muscles keep working for up to 20 minutes, pumping
venom into the flesh. The best way to deal with a honey bee sting is to
flick it out with a fingernail so that the venom sac isn't emptied into the
wound. It's quite clearly seen as a little white blob.

Keep on reading, what I'm going to say is relevant. Insects don't have blood
as we know it nor a system of arteries and veins.Their 'life fluid' -
haemolymph - washes round all their internal organs freely.

When the sting mechanism is torn away a great (relatively) hole is left at
the end of the bee's abdomen and the haeomlymph leaks out. The bee dries to
death if you like.

When a honey bee stings another honey bee or a wasp its sting goes between
the segments of chitin, piercing a thinner but still rigid membrane which
allows the sting to be withdrawn.

Another myth is that a honey bee is reluctant to sting because it knows that
it will die if it does. Phooey.

Bumble bees and wasps don't have barbed stings, their stings are smooth and
can be used over and over on any perceived enemy..

No insect can regenerate any part of its body which it loses. The main
reason worker honey bees die (if they don't meet with accident or disease)
is because they wear themselves out - their wings become frayed and they
can't fly any more.

Mary

Owain

Mary Fisher wrote:
I'll live - and die - by myself in my caravan first.

I'm surprised they haven't made a television documentary about you Mary

Owain

T i m

On Tue, 26 Jul 2005 11:26:39 +0100, "Mary Fisher"
wrote:

wrote in message ...
Mary Fisher wrote:

Bees never go to our bird bath because it'sstainless steel with vertical
sides, birds can grip the relatively sharp edge but bees would fall in.

They do make suicidal efforts sometimes though,

It's not a deliberate attempt at suicide!

I'm always rescuing
bees (both bumble bees and honey bees) from our horses' water buckets.

Good.

I often wonder whether a well soaked bee has much chance of survival

It has - if it can be dried, warmed and fed.

It's possible with both kinds of bee but with bumbles it's easy and there's
no worry about being stung. A honey bee might perceive your efforts as a
threat unless you're experienced.

What you do is put the bee on the palm of your hand - or a tissue but your
hand is warmer. Cup that hand and cup your other hand over it. Gently blow
into the void to warm the bee.

snip

Wouldn't a microwave be quicker .. shrug

T i m

(getting his coat on ..)

T i m

On Tue, 26 Jul 2005 10:51:05 +0100, "Mary Fisher"
wrote:

So, when they are not attacking carp,

NONONO! The carp attacked the wasp. I suspect
that the wasp defended itself which isn't the same thing at all.

I think the wasp set a booby trap .. if not it would have worn a plain
brown jumper instead of the stripey 'come bite me' one ... (or dressed
as a brussle sprout .. that would have kept it safe)?

As wasps attack caterpillars

Hmm, the wasps round here must of been 'carp baiting' when the
caterpillers were eating the lower leaves on my runner plants ;-(

are they going to do any good
stuff for my tomato and runner bean plants (pollenation or whatever it
is)

Not a sausage.

Great ..

Pollination is merely assisted conception. You do understand what pollen is,
don't you?

'Yeah .. course' looks down and kicks the ground ;-)

T i m

Lobster

Mary Fisher wrote:
wrote in message ...

I often wonder whether a well soaked bee has much chance of survival

It has - if it can be dried, warmed and fed.

snip First Aid for bees

(Blimey Mary - it's a BEE!...)

I can well remember rescuing drowning bumble bees from the paddling pool
as a kid and just leaving on them the side to dry out; providing there
were still signs of life when they were fished out they almost always
flew away later. But to be fair I suppose it would invariably have been
a warm sunny day, the paddling pool being out.

David
dave stanton

Stone bird bath Mary

Dave
Owain

Lobster wrote:
Mary Fisher wrote:
snip First Aid for bees
(Blimey Mary - it's a BEE!...)

If you get reincarnated as a bee you'd be grateful for Mary giving you a
gentle blow to dry you out.

Owain

Andy Hall

On Tue, 26 Jul 2005 17:22:19 +0100, Owain
wrote:

Mary Fisher wrote:
I'll live - and die - by myself in my caravan first.

I'm surprised they haven't made a television documentary about you Mary

Owain

I think that we should suggest it to them, Owain, don't you think?

We have the sound expertise in this NG, so all we need now is the
cameraman and lighting.

--

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Mary Fisher

"Owain" wrote in message
Mary Fisher wrote:
I'll live - and die - by myself in my caravan first.

I'm surprised they haven't made a television documentary about you Mary

I've been on telly a lot - but only incidental to other people :-)

I don't like telly.

Mary

Owain

Mary Fisher

"T i m" wrote in message

Wouldn't a microwave be quicker .. shrug

T i m

(getting his coat on ..)

Hmm

Mary Fisher

"Lobster" wrote in message
Mary Fisher wrote:
wrote in message

I often wonder whether a well soaked bee has much chance of survival

It has - if it can be dried, warmed and fed.

snip First Aid for bees

(Blimey Mary - it's a BEE!...)

Blimey David, you're only a human!

I was only answering a question.

I can well remember rescuing drowning bumble bees from the paddling pool
as a kid and just leaving on them the side to dry out; providing there
were still signs of life when they were fished out they almost always flew
away later. But to be fair I suppose it would invariably have been a warm
sunny day, the paddling pool being out.

Quite.

Well done.

Mary

Mary Fisher

"dave stanton" wrote in message
news

Stone bird bath Mary

Good. Sloping sides too I suppose - ideal. We just never got round to it and
when someone gave us this large ss containerand Designer Baby made a
beautiful stand for it thee was no option ...

.... there are lots of other options for birds to bath and drink from in our
garden - and they take advantage of them - but the one I described was the
only one which is designed to be a bird bath, i.e. not a dolly tub or a
puddle or a plant pot or ... well, you get the untidy picture I'm sure!

Mary

Dave

Mary Fisher

wrote:

So, when they are not attacking carp,

NONONO! The carp attacked the wasp. I suspect
that the wasp defended itself which isn't the same thing at all.

I think the wasp set a booby trap .. if not it would have worn a plain
brown jumper instead of the stripey 'come bite me' one ... (or dressed
as a brussle sprout .. that would have kept it safe)?

I don't know. I never offered a sprout to the carp.

I did offer them gooseberry sawfly larvae, theysneered at those. As do the
hens ... :-( Nothing seems to eat those little darlings.

As wasps attack caterpillars

Hmm, the wasps round here must of been 'carp baiting' when the
caterpillers were eating the lower leaves on my runner plants ;-(

There must be more tempting wildlife - or death - around.

Er - do you mean runner beans? I've never known caterpillars eat those -
slugs yes, wasps don't eat slugs.

are they going to do any good
stuff for my tomato and runner bean plants (pollenation or whatever it
is)

Not a sausage.

Great ..

Pollination is merely assisted conception. You do understand what pollen
is,
don't you?

'Yeah .. course' looks down and kicks the ground ;-)

smirk

Mary

T i m

Mary Fisher

"Owain" wrote in message
Lobster wrote:
Mary Fisher wrote:
snip First Aid for bees
(Blimey Mary - it's a BEE!...)

If you get reincarnated as a bee you'd be grateful for Mary giving you a
gentle blow to dry you out.

I'll huff and I'll puff...

Mary

Owain

T i m

On Tue, 26 Jul 2005 20:32:06 +0100, "Mary Fisher"
wrote:

Hmm, the wasps round here must of been 'carp baiting' when the
caterpillers were eating the lower leaves on my runner plants ;-(

There must be more tempting wildlife - or death - around.

Er - do you mean runner beans?

I do .. though that runner weed thing seems to grow twice as fast .. ?
I wonder what it tastes like?

I've never known caterpillars eat those -
slugs yes,

Could be them .. I go to bed and the leaves are fine and in the
morning they are perforated ;-( Either slugs or small soldiers are
having a battle around my plants in the night?

wasps don't eat slugs.

Why not? Maybe if we hit wasps with slugs when they are babies they
will grow up to eat them?

All the best ..

T i m

Mary Fisher

wrote:

Hmm, the wasps round here must of been 'carp baiting' when the
caterpillers were eating the lower leaves on my runner plants ;-(

There must be more tempting wildlife - or death - around.

Er - do you mean runner beans?

I do .. though that runner weed thing seems to grow twice as fast .. ?
I wonder what it tastes like?

I've no idea what you're talking about.

I've never known caterpillars eat those -
slugs yes,

Could be them .. I go to bed and the leaves are fine and in the
morning they are perforated ;-( Either slugs or small soldiers are
having a battle around my plants in the night?

Slugs.

wasps don't eat slugs.

Why not? Maybe if we hit wasps with slugs when they are babies they
will grow up to eat them?

I suspect that they can't get hold of them to chew bits out - the slime you
know.

But I'm willing to be persuaded otherwise.

Is there a slug expert in the house?]

Mary

raden

In message , Mary
Fisher writes

I suspect that your wasp had found a suitable source of water and was coming
back for more. But if you think about it, if it was suitable for that wasp
it was suitable for others, so you can't guarantee that it's the same one.
They do tend to look very similar ...

But the thing that intrigued me was the fact that it returned to the
same position of the same leaf every time

--
geoff
Mary Fisher

"raden" wrote in message
In message , Mary Fisher
writes

I suspect that your wasp had found a suitable source of water and was
coming
back for more. But if you think about it, if it was suitable for that wasp
it was suitable for others, so you can't guarantee that it's the same one.
They do tend to look very similar ...

But the thing that intrigued me was the fact that it returned to the same
position of the same leaf every time

Oh yes, that's perfectly natural animal behaviour. If your needs are
satisfied in one place you return to that same place.

If you go to Tesco I bet you use more or less the same route every time - it
might be different from someone else's. I suspect that you always keep your
socks in the same place (if you wear them). When you sit in a chair I
imagine that your actions, noises or whatever are more or less the same as
they are on every other occasion. If you fish you'll have favourite spots,
you've learned by experience what's going to be fruitful so why change?

It's quite normal! Not at all intriguing :-)

Boring perhaps - but that's something we have toput up with.

Mary

--
geoff