jkn

Default [OT]: Sensible coffee maker sought for works kitchen

Hi all
I'm trying to source a new coffee maker for the kitchen at work. We
currently have an ancient 'kona' style drip filter type thing which has
seen plenty better days. The company wouldn't pay for an oh-so fancy
Gaggia type thing even if I thought it was appropriate, but I'm trying
to find something a little better than just replacing the old one with
a newer of the same style.

I'd have thought that there would be quite a selection available via
catering supply places & the like, but my searches so far haven't borne
fruit. Any suggestions?

The kitchen serves 30--40 electronic engineer-types, probably half of
whom drink coffee. The company buys the coffee and we do the making...
Thanks for your esteemed thoughts

Jon N

Clive Summerfield

"jkn" wrote in message
ups.com...
Hi all
I'm trying to source a new coffee maker for the kitchen at work. We
currently have an ancient 'kona' style drip filter type thing which has
seen plenty better days. The company wouldn't pay for an oh-so fancy
Gaggia type thing even if I thought it was appropriate, but I'm trying
to find something a little better than just replacing the old one with
a newer of the same style.

What sort of budget?

You say 30-40 engineer types, how many cups each on average per day?

Cheers
Clive

jkn

Hi Clive
I'm note sure about budget yet, I'm trying to establish options.

I ain't done a survey on average cups per day. I could probably do an
estimate based on how many bags of coffee we get through in a week but
was hoping that my figures would give a clue.

Let's see, say 25 out of 20 drink coffee, average 3 cups a day, so
maybe up to 100 cups (OK mugs) per day?

HTH
Jon N

Gordon Henderson

In article . com,
jkn wrote:
Hi all
I'm trying to source a new coffee maker for the kitchen at work. We
currently have an ancient 'kona' style drip filter type thing which has
seen plenty better days. The company wouldn't pay for an oh-so fancy
Gaggia type thing even if I thought it was appropriate, but I'm trying
to find something a little better than just replacing the old one with
a newer of the same style.

I'd have thought that there would be quite a selection available via
catering supply places & the like, but my searches so far haven't borne
fruit. Any suggestions?

One place I visit has a "Nespresso" machine - it makes espresso, or
"americano" style coffee and has a steam jet for that frothy milk thing.

The plus side is that it takes capsules, so theres no faffing about with
grinding, etc.

The down side is that it's (a) Nescafe and (b) £150 iirc. I think there
are several brands of capsule coffee makers though - there is quite a
variety of coffee avalable in the capsules too, but I don't think they
are that cheap either...

Theres all sorts of H&S issues these days too - you aren't supposed to
have kettles or breakable plunger type things from what I recall of the
last time this place went though a building move...

The kitchen serves 30--40 electronic engineer-types, probably half of
whom drink coffee. The company buys the coffee and we do the making...
Thanks for your esteemed thoughts

This place has 20-30 electronic/software engineers (and some manglement)

Good luck!

Gordon
s--p--o--n--i--x

On 28 Jan 2005 03:43:20 -0800, "jkn" wrote:

Hi all
I'm trying to source a new coffee maker for the kitchen at work.

Why not one of those wall mounted boiler thingumies?

brugnospamsia

"Gordon Henderson" wrote in message
In article . com,
jkn wrote:
Hi all
I'm trying to source a new coffee maker for the kitchen at work. We
currently have an ancient 'kona' style drip filter type thing which has
seen plenty better days. The company wouldn't pay for an oh-so fancy
Gaggia type thing even if I thought it was appropriate, but I'm trying

SNIP

The down side is that it's (a) Nescafe and (b) £150 iirc. I think there
are several brands of capsule coffee makers though - there is quite a
variety of coffee avalable in the capsules too, but I don't think they
are that cheap either...

Theres all sorts of H&S issues these days too - you aren't supposed to
have kettles or breakable plunger type things from what I recall of the
last time this place went though a building move...

gawd I hope it doesn't get that crazy where I work - after 20-odd years of
experimenting I now only drink my own blend of Guatemala Maragogype and
Nicaragua Matagalpa made in a cafetiere and I can't stand filter or expresso

Brugmansia

(thinks ... do I sound like Frasier Crane ?)

Tony Hogarty

On Fri, 28 Jan 2005 12:37:14 +0000, brugnospamsia wrote:

(thinks ... do I sound like Frasier Crane ?)

You sure do.

--
Regards

Tony Hogarty
(Take out the garbage to reply)

The Natural Philosopher

jkn wrote:

Hi Clive
I'm note sure about budget yet, I'm trying to establish options.

I ain't done a survey on average cups per day. I could probably do an
estimate based on how many bags of coffee we get through in a week but
was hoping that my figures would give a clue.

Let's see, say 25 out of 20 drink coffee, average 3 cups a day, so
maybe up to 100 cups (OK mugs) per day?

Blimey, We used to average about 10 cups a day.

The solutin we came up with was simple. Electric boiler geyser thing,
loads of cup, a fridge full of milk (and in the summer cold drinks, on
the company) and the best instant coffee (gold blend) that we could find.

Oh, and a micriwave prved ideal as well for those plastic wrapped food
thingies. Nothing like a quick macaroni cheese when you have to work
till 9pm..

I vistited one plave where thye had one of those machines yu stuck a bag
of ground coffee in, and it whips up a cappucino etc. Nice as well.

HTH
Jon N

Andrew Chesters

jkn wrote:
Hi all
I'm trying to source a new coffee maker for the kitchen at work. We
currently have an ancient 'kona' style drip filter type thing which has
seen plenty better days. The company wouldn't pay for an oh-so fancy
Gaggia type thing even if I thought it was appropriate, but I'm trying
to find something a little better than just replacing the old one with
a newer of the same style.

I'd have thought that there would be quite a selection available via
catering supply places & the like, but my searches so far haven't borne
fruit. Any suggestions?

The kitchen serves 30--40 electronic engineer-types, probably half of
whom drink coffee. The company buys the coffee and we do the making...
Thanks for your esteemed thoughts

Jon N

For a department of 3 caffeine addicts and a few hangers-on, we use a
1.9l filter job. We get coffee in pre-portioned sachets, so there is no
faffing about measuring etc. Once filtered, it goes into a stainless
vacuum flask with a pump dispenser. This way it doesn't stew (as if it
would have time). :-)

I think it's a Buffalo, or that might have been the last one we wore out...
Owain

"jkn" wrote
| I'm trying to source a new coffee maker for the kitchen at work.
| The kitchen serves 30--40 electronic engineer-types, probably
| half of whom drink coffee. The company buys the coffee and
| we do the making...

You can get coffee machines on free loan from many coffee suppliers if you
buy enough coffee, including ones that grind-and-brew automatically. Some
suppliers/machines will also do teas and hot water. Avoid capsule or pod
types as there's a very limited range of coffee in them and they are
expensive.

Owain

Clive Summerfield

"jkn" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi Clive
I'm note sure about budget yet, I'm trying to establish options.

I ain't done a survey on average cups per day. I could probably do an
estimate based on how many bags of coffee we get through in a week but
was hoping that my figures would give a clue.

Let's see, say 25 out of 20 drink coffee, average 3 cups a day, so
maybe up to 100 cups (OK mugs) per day?

Hmmm. We've got one of these in the office...

http://www.gaggia.it/data/uk/fam_sy.html

According to the cup counter (yup, it records the number of cups of coffee
produced), in 14 months it has produced 16812 cups without a hitch. Nice
thing about it is that you just fill the water reservoir when it tells, fill
the bean hopper when it tells you, empty the drip tray and dreg drawer when
it tells you. Cleans itself, produces hot water as well as coffee, steam for
frothing milk, yada yada yada.

Best buy we made here, but we're a bunch of coffee snobs/addicts so
something like the Gaggia was a good solution. About £450 though, so maybe
too expensive. But so much better than those horrible Bravilor
monstrosities.

I know you said originally that Gaggia's were out of the question, but we're
talking coffee here. It's just too important.

Actually you might be able to sell the Gaggia approach on the basis of
productivity. With it being fully automatic, there's less time spent
preparing and waiting for fresh coffee. Happy workers are good workers.

Good luck in the search. I'm off for cup number 16813

Cheers
Clive

Dave Plowman (News)

In article .com,
jkn wrote:
Let's see, say 25 out of 20 drink coffee, average 3 cups a day, so
maybe up to 100 cups (OK mugs) per day?

IMHO, the type which use concentrate are a decent compromise. No waste,
and although perhaps not quite as good as a fresh cup made from grounds,
far better than one that has and kept warm for more than a few minutes.

--
*It was all so different before everything changed.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Mary Fisher

"brugnospamsia" wrote in message
k...

I now only drink my own blend ... made in a cafetiere and I can't stand
filter or expresso

I hate filter coffee made by all the machines I've ever tried, after the
first cup when it's very fresh. Espresso is the Devil's work. The best
(although I don't do it often) is mde in a jug, allowed to settle and
decanted.

Brugmansia

(thinks ... do I sound like Frasier Crane ?)

Who?

Mary

Pete C

On Fri, 28 Jan 2005 21:16:35 -0000, "Mary Fisher"
wrote:

I hate filter coffee made by all the machines I've ever tried, after the
first cup when it's very fresh. Espresso is the Devil's work.

Errr, why?

cheers,
Pete.
Mary Fisher

wrote:

I hate filter coffee made by all the machines I've ever tried, after the
first cup when it's very fresh. Espresso is the Devil's work.

Errr, why?

Because to my palate it tastes awful. I should have said that "in my opinion
it's the Devil's work" :-)

Mary

cheers,
Pete.

Andy Hall

On Fri, 28 Jan 2005 22:20:14 -0000, "Mary Fisher"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

I hate filter coffee made by all the machines I've ever tried, after the
first cup when it's very fresh. Espresso is the Devil's work.

Errr, why?

Because to my palate it tastes awful. I should have said that "in my opinion
it's the Devil's work" :-)

Never go to Italy then.

Although of course, coffee there is somewhat in a different league to
the dishwater served in most places in the UK.
Cappucino after mid morning is frowned upon, IME.

--

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
Frank Erskine

On Fri, 28 Jan 2005 22:37:52 +0000, Andy Hall
wrote:

On Fri, 28 Jan 2005 22:20:14 -0000, "Mary Fisher"
wrote:

. ..
wrote:

I hate filter coffee made by all the machines I've ever tried, after the
first cup when it's very fresh. Espresso is the Devil's work.

Errr, why?

Because to my palate it tastes awful. I should have said that "in my opinion
it's the Devil's work" :-)

Never go to Italy then.

Although of course, coffee there is somewhat in a different league to
the dishwater served in most places in the UK.
Cappucino after mid morning is frowned upon, IME.

When coffeeing out (most days) I used to have cappucino until fairly
recently; I now prefer latte.

At home I usually have cappucino or (very rarely) stuff from a
cafetiere.

Only on exceptional occasions at work do I have "instant" coffee
(yuk!)

--
Frank Erskine
Clive Summerfield

"Andy Hall" wrote in message
On Fri, 28 Jan 2005 22:20:14 -0000, "Mary Fisher"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

I hate filter coffee made by all the machines I've ever tried, after

the
first cup when it's very fresh. Espresso is the Devil's work.

Errr, why?

Because to my palate it tastes awful. I should have said that "in my

opinion
it's the Devil's work" :-)

Never go to Italy then.

Although of course, coffee there is somewhat in a different league to
the dishwater served in most places in the UK.
Cappucino after mid morning is frowned upon, IME.

Likewise. The scorn they pour upon anyone daft enough to ask for a cappucino
other than at breakfast/mid-morning is truly wonderful to watch. Personally
I stick to espresso after 10:00am, a masterful way of enjoying coffee.

Cheers
Clive

raden

In message , Mary
Fisher writes

.. .
wrote:

I hate filter coffee made by all the machines I've ever tried, after the
first cup when it's very fresh. Espresso is the Devil's work.

Errr, why?

Because to my palate it tastes awful. I should have said that "in my opinion
it's the Devil's work" :-)

Kopi Luwak or nothing ...

http://www.truthorfiction.com/rumors/k/kopiluwak.htm

--
geoff
raden

In message , s--p--o--n--i--x
writes
On 28 Jan 2005 03:43:20 -0800, "jkn" wrote:

Hi all
I'm trying to source a new coffee maker for the kitchen at work.

Why not one of those wall mounted boiler thingumies?

They always come in pairs ...Or haven't you heard?

--
geoff

brugnospamsia

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
et...

"brugnospamsia" wrote in message
k...

I now only drink my own blend ... made in a cafetiere and I can't stand
filter or expresso

I hate filter coffee made by all the machines I've ever tried, after the
first cup when it's very fresh. Espresso is the Devil's work. The best
(although I don't do it often) is mde in a jug, allowed to settle and
decanted.

Brugmansia

(thinks ... do I sound like Frasier Crane ?)

Who?

TV comedy - two psychiatrist brothers, Frasier has a radio programme.
Their pusuit of the exclusive borders on OCD

Jeremy

Mary Fisher

"Andy Hall" wrote in message

I hate filter coffee made by all the machines I've ever tried, after the
first cup when it's very fresh. Espresso is the Devil's work.

Errr, why?

Because to my palate it tastes awful. I should have said that "in my
opinion
it's the Devil's work" :-)

Never go to Italy then.

I've no desire to ... haven't seen everything here yet :-)

Although of course, coffee there is somewhat in a different league to
the dishwater served in most places in the UK.

I bow to your greater experience! We don't drink it unless we make it.

Except, for politeness, I sometimes force down that which our Italian
neighbours make.

Cappucino after mid morning is frowned upon, IME.

Don't like that either.

But it's a personal thing.

Mary

Mary Fisher

"brugnospamsia" wrote in message

(thinks ... do I sound like Frasier Crane ?)

Who?

TV comedy - two psychiatrist brothers, Frasier has a radio programme.

Oh. I haven't heard it, as far as I know - and it's wall to wall 24/7 R4
here ...

Their pusuit of the exclusive borders on OCD

er ... if you say so :-)

Mary

Jeremy

Mary Fisher

"Paul Mc Cann" wrote in message
.. .

We grind our own beans bought by mail order from the Monmouth Street
Coffee Company and use a Gaggia machine to make it.

Nothing, and I mean nothing, comes close to the quality of coffee made
like this.

I don't believe you.

You'll have to ask me to try it ...

Mary

--
Paul Mc Cann

Clive Summerfield

"raden" wrote in message
In message , s--p--o--n--i--x
writes
On 28 Jan 2005 03:43:20 -0800, "jkn" wrote:

Hi all
I'm trying to source a new coffee maker for the kitchen at work.

Why not one of those wall mounted boiler thingumies?

They always come in pairs ...Or haven't you heard?

Located in the loft as well....

Cheers
Clive

Andy Burns

Mary Fisher wrote:

"brugnospamsia" wrote:

TV comedy - two psychiatrist brothers, Frasier has a radio programme.

Oh. I haven't heard it, as far as I know -

You won't have, the radio show isn't real! It's within the fictions of
the TV show ;-)

it's wall to wall 24/7 R4 here ...

I have to retune to R5 when a "play" is on ...
Mary Fisher

"Andy Burns" wrote in message
Mary Fisher wrote:

"brugnospamsia" wrote:

TV comedy - two psychiatrist brothers, Frasier has a radio programme.

Oh. I haven't heard it, as far as I know -

You won't have, the radio show isn't real! It's within the fictions of the
TV show ;-)

Oh ...

it's wall to wall 24/7 R4 here ...

I have to retune to R5 when a "play" is on ...

They're my prompt to sit down and sew. The pile of mending is getting
smaller ...

Mary

Another Kitchen Stove Vent Q - Advice Sought pray4surf Home Repair 1 November 17th 04 12:15 PM
Damp/Mould in kitchen Colin E. UK diy 1 September 20th 04 12:11 PM
Celebrity Kitchen Design? Michelle Woodworking 9 December 8th 03 05:50 PM
Planit Millennium II [2 CDs] new !, and other Kitchen Design 3D programscheap software for fitted kitchen design (¯`·...ø¤°`°¤TEL4 ¤°`°¤....·´¯)tel2003@pathfinder. Woodworking 1 October 6th 03 02:22 PM
Planit Millennium II [2 CDs] new !, and other Kitchen Design 3D programscheap software for fitted kitchen design (¯`·...ø¤°`°¤TEL4 ¤°`°¤....·´¯)tel2003@pathfinder. Woodworking 0 October 6th 03 08:08 AM