Lawrence L'Hote

Default [OT] Wire Slitter Needed

I need some kind of device to strip the plastic coating off long lengths of
#14 insulated, solid, copper wire like you wire homes with . The wire was
salvaged from several dumpsters at homes under construction. Presently, I
am using an Exacto knife and just shaving off the insulation much like you
would peel a carrot and have managed to already draw blood. These cable
slitters advertised in catalogs seem to be about right but only for
....duh... cable... not what I'm trying to strip.

Larry

Lew Hodgett

#14 insulated, solid, copper wire like you wire homes with . The wire was
salvaged from several dumpsters at homes under construction.

It's called a fire.

At least that is what one of my contractor customers did to salvage the
copper.

Bought his boat with the proceeds.

HTH

Lew

Dave Hinz

#14 insulated, solid, copper wire like you wire homes with . The wire was
salvaged from several dumpsters at homes under construction.

It's called a fire.

Yeah, that's a _great_ idea (rolls eyes).

At least that is what one of my contractor customers did to salvage the
copper.
Bought his boat with the proceeds.

Depends on how many miles of wires you're talking, but this would
be simple enough to rig something up for. Tubing, squeeze it down to
an oval, slit the tubing for a blade, and pull the wire through. No
muss, no fuss.

Lawrence L'Hote

#14 insulated, solid, copper wire like you wire homes with . The wire
was
salvaged from several dumpsters at homes under construction.

It's called a fire.

Yeah, that's a _great_ idea (rolls eyes).

At least that is what one of my contractor customers did to salvage the
copper.
Bought his boat with the proceeds.

Depends on how many miles of wires you're talking, but this would
be simple enough to rig something up for. Tubing, squeeze it down to
an oval, slit the tubing for a blade, and pull the wire through. No
muss, no fuss.

Thanks, Dave, I thought of something like that but just thought I'd ask
around and see if someone had actually made/bought something. I have,
probably, about 20 lbs. of the stuff.

Larry

Dave Hinz

On Thu, 27 Jan 2005 22:51:39 GMT, Lawrence L'Hote wrote:

"Dave Hinz" wrote in message

Depends on how many miles of wires you're talking, but this would
be simple enough to rig something up for. Tubing, squeeze it down to
an oval, slit the tubing for a blade, and pull the wire through. No
muss, no fuss.

Thanks, Dave, I thought of something like that but just thought I'd ask
around and see if someone had actually made/bought something. I have,
probably, about 20 lbs. of the stuff.

Either way, you want to move the wire past the blade, not the other
way around. Safer and more predictable/adjustable. For only 20
pounds of wire, a little fiddling around as you go isn't the end
of the world.

Let us know what you end up doing. Also, rec.crafts.metalworking
might have some ideas. See you there, perhaps?

Dave Hinz

Lew Hodgett

"Lawrence L'Hote" writes:

That would only make the situation worse. I'm not cleaning up the wire to
sell as scrap. I'm using the wire to make wall sculptures and it must be
reasonably clean to braze.

Time for "Plan B".

Use a standard electrician's wire stripper such as one made by Ideal or
equal.

Operates by squeezing the handles together which cuts the insulation, then
moves it down the wire..

Got a Frys Electronics or equal in your area?

If not any decent industrial electrical wholesaler will probably handle your
business as a cash sale.

Cut of a piece of wire, say 24"-36", then strip a couple of inches off one
end.

Move down the wire a couple of inches and repeat.

It's a PITA, but I've don it to get bare wire.

HTH

Lew

Guess who

#14 insulated, solid, copper wire like you wire homes with . The wire was
salvaged from several dumpsters at homes under construction. Presently, I
am using an Exacto knife and just shaving off the insulation much like you
would peel a carrot and have managed to already draw blood. These cable
slitters advertised in catalogs seem to be about right but only for
...duh... cable... not what I'm trying to strip.

Will this do?

http://www.contacteast.com/product/g...arent_id=10592

Mike in Arkansas

how about drilling a hole through a piece of wood that's spilt on the
top half above the hole. insert and secure a box cutter blade so the
tip just extends into the hole far enough to slit the insulation. pull
the wire through and Bob's you uncle.

Lawrence L'Hote

#14 insulated, solid, copper wire like you wire homes with . Will this
do?

http://www.contacteast.com/product/g...arent_id=10592

Thanks GW but I saw something like this when I looked around. The wire
w/insulation I have is 7/64 " but the lower limit on your suggestion is
5/32" I may have to go ahead and get the thing.
Larry

Lawrence L'Hote

"Mike in Arkansas" wrote in message
oups.com...
how about drilling a hole through a piece of wood that's spilt on the
top half above the hole. insert and secure a box cutter blade so the
tip just extends into the hole far enough to slit the insulation. pull
the wire through and Bob's you uncle.

Thanks,Mike, I'm was going to cobble something together just about like you
suggested when the phone rang and I got distracted...damn attorney was
calling..

Larry

Stephen Young

#14 insulated, solid, copper wire like you wire homes with . Will this
do?

http://www.contacteast.com/product/g...arent_id=10592

Thanks GW but I saw something like this when I looked around. The wire
w/insulation I have is 7/64 " but the lower limit on your suggestion is
5/32" I may have to go ahead and get the thing.
Larry

I made a nylon adapter (triangle block with a small v notch) for this
unit & screwed it to the top - works great on the smallest cables/wire
you'll ever find.
Lawrence L'Hote

wrote:

Let us know what you end up doing. Also, rec.crafts.metalworking
might have some ideas. See you there, perhaps?

Dave Hinz

Well I rigged something that works a WHOLE lot better than just wittlin' off
the insulation. I really appreciate all of you offering to hold my hand.
FWIW here is what I did. First I clamped a piece of L-shaped picture frame
on the work bench and cut a v-groove just so the insulation was above the
wood. You have to kind of round over the entrance end of the groove and
take all the kinks and bends out of the wire and stretch it across the room.
Strip back about 8" from the wire and position the stripped portion in the
groove. Press the flat of the cutter(Exacto knife) flat against the bare
wire at about a 30 deg horizontal angle with your right hand and pull the
wire through with your left. I could strip about a foot or more at a time.
I tried to clamp the blade down on the wire but that didn't work. I may
have already mentioned here a while back what I was doing with the wire
but here it is again... http://home.mchsi.com/~llhote/gallery/gallery.htm
Thanks again.
Larry

Silvan

Lawrence L'Hote wrote:

Well I rigged something that works a WHOLE lot better than just wittlin'
off
the insulation. I really appreciate all of you offering to hold my hand.
FWIW here is what I did. First I clamped a piece of L-shaped picture

You figgered somethin' out already, but just for posterior. What I did was
clamp the absolute crap out of one end of the wire in my vise, then stretch
out about 30' or so of it, tight. I ran a dullish butcher knife across it
drawknife style while I had my son hold tension on the wire. Then I peeled
the remaining insulation off in long strips. It worked great.

--
Michael McIntyre ---- Silvan
http://www.geocities.com/Paris/Rue/5407/