Bring out the Gimp

Default fence installation tips needed (3-rail post & rail and wire mesh)

the only tip i can give is i used roundup/vegetation killer between each
post, then i weedwacked the dead grass out

then i took 8 foot 2x2, pressure treated and screwed then at ground level
between each post

this gave me something to tact the fence to
after a season or so the grass grew and hide the rail a bit
but the fence was nice and straight

coloradotrout wrote in message
I'm hoping to fence about 1.5 acres

At the back, I have 12 feet of 3-rail western post and fail fencing
to append to what is already there.

On either side of the house I want to use the same 3-rail

Then down the sides I want to place a post every 8 feet

All around, I want to attached 47" field fence -- the kind that has
the tighter mesh at the bottom and more open at top.

I have clay soil, for I'm planning to hire out the digging of the
holes.

Since post and rail fencing fits tog. like a puzzle it has to be
assembled one section at a time. Since most of my 3-rail distances
are short -- 12', 50' and 60', I'm hopefull that by having a 12" hole
I can have all the holes predilled and still be able to get the fence
installed w/o having to enlarge any holes.

What are some tips to..
a) keep all the posts at the same heighth?
b) keep the posts inline?
c) brace and support the corners?
d) stretch the 47" field wire and attach to the posts?

is there a good book on doing this kind of fencing?

thanks much,

coloradotrout

that's a good tip.. thanks

i'm also looking for basic tips.. tips for stretching the wire in
place; how to do that, etc

also.. any subtle tips to setting the posts, etc

my brother-in-law noted that in setting the posts, tamping of the 1st
few inches is most critical. I othen see folks.. push in a foot or
more of dirt and try to tamp. His point is to only add an inch at a
time for the first six inches or so.. get that nice and tight.. and
the rest can then be filled more quickly..