Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default .22 scope adjustments

I have a .22 rifle and I am trying to adjust the scope.

Unfortunately, I am limited to 12 feet distance at the moment.

I just made a great .22 target/catcher from a 12x12" 1/4" steel plate
and wood, so I can now work on the scope.

At exactly 12 feet of distance, impacts very reliably end exactly 1
inch to the left.

The scope is this:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001CRC20G

An adjustment of 1/4" MOA means 1/4 inch per click at 100 yards. 12
feet is 4 yards, so one click means 1/4*4/100 = 0.01 inch. So, to
adjust the point of impact by this much, I would need to adjust the
scope by 100 clicks?

This does not make sense to me. Would it suggest to you that something
is seriously wrong with the scope, or the way I mounted it?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Never mind. I misread what I wrote down. It was 21 feet instead of
12. I made the adjustments and the scope is now dead-on horizontally
and vertically. It actually seems pretty decently made.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-10-23, Ignoramus22870 wrote:
I have a .22 rifle and I am trying to adjust the scope.

Unfortunately, I am limited to 12 feet distance at the moment.

I just made a great .22 target/catcher from a 12x12" 1/4" steel plate
and wood, so I can now work on the scope.

At exactly 12 feet of distance, impacts very reliably end exactly 1
inch to the left.

The scope is this:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001CRC20G

An adjustment of 1/4" MOA means 1/4 inch per click at 100 yards. 12
feet is 4 yards, so one click means 1/4*4/100 = 0.01 inch. So, to
adjust the point of impact by this much, I would need to adjust the
scope by 100 clicks?

This does not make sense to me. Would it suggest to you that something
is seriously wrong with the scope, or the way I mounted it?

Why in the world would you need a scope at 21 feet? Even I could see
that far with iron sights. Sounds like something is wrong with the
scope if it only focuses at 21 feet. Just my thinking.

Jim
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-10-23, Ignoramus22870 wrote:
[...]

I hope to shoot farther than that, but as of now, this is all the
distance I have.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Oct 23, 3:21*pm, Ignoramus22870 ignoramus22...@NOSPAM.
22870.invalid wrote:
I have a .22 rifle and I am trying to adjust the scope.

Unfortunately, I am limited to 12 feet distance at the moment.

I just made a great .22 target/catcher from a 12x12" 1/4" steel plate
and wood, so I can now work on the scope.

At exactly 12 feet of distance, impacts very reliably end exactly 1
inch to the left.

The scope is this:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001CRC20G

An adjustment of 1/4" MOA means 1/4 inch per click at 100 yards. 12
feet is 4 yards, so one click means 1/4*4/100 = 0.01 inch. So, to
adjust the point of impact by this much, I would need to adjust the
scope by 100 clicks?

This does not make sense to me. Would it suggest to you that something
is seriously wrong with the scope, or the way I mounted it?

At that short a distance, the offset between barrel and optical axis
is going to give you problems. Also, .22 scopes are usually set for
parallax for 50-75 yards, just moving your head a bit at that short a
distance will make hash of any adjustments you're trying to make.
What you need for initial setup is a laser boresighter, I usually use
the license plate on my trailer for a laser target at night for
initial adjustments. Good enough to get on the paper when I get to
the range. 21' is just too short for boresighting.

Stan

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus22870 wrote:

An adjustment of 1/4" MOA means 1/4 inch per click at 100 yards. 12
feet is 4 yards, so one click means 1/4*4/100 = 0.01 inch. So, to
adjust the point of impact by this much, I would need to adjust the
scope by 100 clicks?

Sounds right. Did you mount the rings in line with the bore centerline.

Wes
in their eyes." Dick Anthony Heller
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

22870.invalid wrote:
[...]

You mean, on the vertical plane, right? I simply adjust for this and
aim about 1.5 inches higher than the tagret.

Also, .22 scopes are usually set for parallax for 50-75 yards, just
moving your head a bit at that short a distance will make hash of
any adjustments you're trying to make. What you need for initial
setup is a laser boresighter, I usually use the license plate on my
trailer for a laser target at night for initial adjustments. Good
enough to get on the paper when I get to the range. 21' is just too
short for boresighting.

That's an interesting idea, but how accurate are those boresighters?
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-10-24, Wes wrote:
Ignoramus22870 wrote:

An adjustment of 1/4" MOA means 1/4 inch per click at 100 yards. 12
feet is 4 yards, so one click means 1/4*4/100 = 0.01 inch. So, to
adjust the point of impact by this much, I would need to adjust the
scope by 100 clicks?

Sounds right. Did you mount the rings in line with the bore centerline.

Wes, yes, I think so. Anyway, I have adjusted it enough, so that it is
completely dead on.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Please rethink your alignment procedure. I don't know the centerline offset between the bore and the scope, but if intersection
occurs at 21', you will be very high at 50 yds. Do the arithmetic.
Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-10-24, Wes wrote:
Ignoramus22870 wrote:

An adjustment of 1/4" MOA means 1/4 inch per click at 100 yards. 12
feet is 4 yards, so one click means 1/4*4/100 = 0.01 inch. So, to
adjust the point of impact by this much, I would need to adjust the
scope by 100 clicks?

Sounds right. Did you mount the rings in line with the bore centerline.

Wes, yes, I think so. Anyway, I have adjusted it enough, so that it is
completely dead on.

I adjust for vertical by simply aiming 1.5 inches higher, to account
that the scope axis is 1.5 inches above the barrel. This is what I
mean by dead on.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Ignoramus22870" wrote

That's an interesting idea, but how accurate are those boresighters?

The main purpose of a boresighter is just to get the gun to shoot on the
paper and save a $20 or so box of shells. When done carefully, they can be
accurate enough, so that when you go to the range, you will save a lot of
shells.

Steve

Heart surgery pending?
Read up and prepare.
Learn how to care for a friend.
http://cabgbypasssurgery.com

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Ignoramus22870" wrote

I adjust for vertical by simply aiming 1.5 inches higher, to account
that the scope axis is 1.5 inches above the barrel. This is what I
mean by dead on.

I measured my shooting stand to my squirrels burrows on Google Earth. I
sighted it in at that distance to strike the target 1.5" below where I aim.
When I shoot at squirrels, I aim for the head, and they are so big that the
shot usually hits center mass, and is lethal.

Now I am making a simple cradle for sighting it in, and a support for my gun
stand to make it rock steady. Those squirrels are not going to have a
chance this year.

Making two gravity powered tip pipe water traps for them, too. They worked
very well last year, and this year will be Mod 2 from things I learned last
year.

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 24 Oct 2010 09:10:27 -0700, Steve B wrote:
"Ignoramus22870" wrote

I adjust for vertical by simply aiming 1.5 inches higher, to account
that the scope axis is 1.5 inches above the barrel. This is what I
mean by dead on.

I measured my shooting stand to my squirrels burrows on Google Earth. I
sighted it in at that distance to strike the target 1.5" below where I aim.
When I shoot at squirrels, I aim for the head, and they are so big that the
shot usually hits center mass, and is lethal.

Now I am making a simple cradle for sighting it in, and a support for my gun
stand to make it rock steady. Those squirrels are not going to have a
chance this year.

Making two gravity powered tip pipe water traps for them, too. They worked
very well last year, and this year will be Mod 2 from things I learned last
year.

Do you eat the squirrels? Many years ago, I was visiting my neighbor near
suppertime, and the Dad shot two squirrels and a rabbit with a .22 of some
kind. Remarkably good shot - he got the rabbit on the run, and I didn't
even see the rabbit! They let me hang around while he skinned and gutted
the two squirrels and rabbit, but didn't invite me for dinner. )-;

Cheers!
Rich

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-10-24, Steve B wrote:

"Ignoramus22870" wrote

I adjust for vertical by simply aiming 1.5 inches higher, to account
that the scope axis is 1.5 inches above the barrel. This is what I
mean by dead on.

I measured my shooting stand to my squirrels burrows on Google Earth. I
sighted it in at that distance to strike the target 1.5" below where I aim.
When I shoot at squirrels, I aim for the head, and they are so big that the
shot usually hits center mass, and is lethal.

Now I am making a simple cradle for sighting it in, and a support for my gun
stand to make it rock steady. Those squirrels are not going to have a
chance this year.

Making two gravity powered tip pipe water traps for them, too. They worked
very well last year, and this year will be Mod 2 from things I learned last
year

So you do the same thing, aiming a little higher. Works for me too. I
use an air rifle against squirrel sized things.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 23 Oct 2010 20:08:26 -0500, Ignoramus22870

On 2010-10-23, Ignoramus22870 wrote:
[...]

Oh, O.K. You should sight the scope in at a distance of not less than
100 yards. I put a scope on my little Ruger 10-22 and tried to sight
it in at 100 and had to move it up to 50 to get it in the vicinity.
After that I was able to move out to 100 and was right on. Good luck
with it and have some fun.

Jim

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-10-23, Ignoramus22870 wrote:
[...]

Jim, I think that there is basically two separate adjustments:
horizontal and vertical.

Horizontal, obviously I want to adjust the scope so that when I align
the vertical optical sight line with the center of the target, I want
the point of impact to be on the vertical line going through the
target.

As far as vertical goes, I usually try to adjust the scope, so that
when I aim 1.5 inch above the target, I hit the target. This is so
because the scope is 1.5 inches above the rifle bore.

A .22 rifle is a lot of fun.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-10-23, Ignoramus22870 wrote:
[...]

Yep, then you just need to account for any wind.

As far as vertical goes, I usually try to adjust the scope, so that
when I aim 1.5 inch above the target, I hit the target. This is so
because the scope is 1.5 inches above the rifle bore.

Good way to make sure you miss a lot...

You adjust the cross hairs to be ON target at the distance you are
shooting at. You you have to adjust the point of aim to match the
location along the arc of the bullet at the distance you will be
shooting at. There are VERY few rounds that shoot "flat" .22 isn't one
of them.

A .22 rifle is a lot of fun.

Steve W.
(\___/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-10-25, Steve W. wrote:
Ignoramus10132 wrote:
As far as vertical goes, I usually try to adjust the scope, so that
when I aim 1.5 inch above the target, I hit the target. This is so
because the scope is 1.5 inches above the rifle bore.

Good way to make sure you miss a lot...

You adjust the cross hairs to be ON target at the distance you are
shooting at. You you have to adjust the point of aim to match the
location along the arc of the bullet at the distance you will be
shooting at. There are VERY few rounds that shoot "flat" .22 isn't one
of them.

I am usually shooting at 10m distance. I had a lot of luck with this
method of adjustment, with my air rifle. I once made 5 shots and his 4
squirrels, 3 of which died instantly.

What you say, makes a lot more sense at greater distances, like 50m or
100m.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-10-25, Steve W. wrote:
Ignoramus10132 wrote:
As far as vertical goes, I usually try to adjust the scope, so that
when I aim 1.5 inch above the target, I hit the target. This is so
because the scope is 1.5 inches above the rifle bore.

Good way to make sure you miss a lot...

You adjust the cross hairs to be ON target at the distance you are
shooting at. You you have to adjust the point of aim to match the
location along the arc of the bullet at the distance you will be
shooting at. There are VERY few rounds that shoot "flat" .22 isn't one
of them.

I am usually shooting at 10m distance. I had a lot of luck with this
method of adjustment, with my air rifle. I once made 5 shots and his 4
squirrels, 3 of which died instantly.

What you say, makes a lot more sense at greater distances, like 50m or
100m.

Did you eat their meat and tan their pelts?

Thanks,
Rich

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-10-25, Steve W. wrote:
Ignoramus10132 wrote:
As far as vertical goes, I usually try to adjust the scope, so that
when I aim 1.5 inch above the target, I hit the target. This is so
because the scope is 1.5 inches above the rifle bore.

Good way to make sure you miss a lot...

You adjust the cross hairs to be ON target at the distance you are
shooting at. You you have to adjust the point of aim to match the
location along the arc of the bullet at the distance you will be
shooting at. There are VERY few rounds that shoot "flat" .22 isn't one
of them.

I am usually shooting at 10m distance. I had a lot of luck with this
method of adjustment, with my air rifle. I once made 5 shots and his 4
squirrels, 3 of which died instantly.

What you say, makes a lot more sense at greater distances, like 50m or
100m.

Did you eat their meat and tan their pelts?

I did eat their meat. It was disgusting. Never again.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-10-25, Steve W. wrote:
Ignoramus10132 wrote:
[...]

Wasn't prepared right then. Squirrel works best braised or stewed. They
don't have a lot of fat and the meat dries out if cooked without adding
moisture.

--
Steve W.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-10-23, Ignoramus22870 wrote:
[...]

"Hi velocity" .22 rimfire ammo (40 gn bullet, 1260 fps mv) will drop
about 4.75" at 100 yards if zeroed at 50 yd.

For deviation of no more than +/- 1" from POA (beyond 5 yards) with
scope axis 1.5" above bore axis, the scope should be zeroed at 73 yd.
It will then hit within 1" of POA at all ranges from 5 yd to 84 yd, be
down 3" at 100 yd. Zeroeing at 17 yd will achieve the same
trajectory. It will obviously shoot 1.5" below POA at 0 yd regardless
of scope elevation settings.

"Standard" (1050 fps mv) will drop about 7" at 100 yd if zeroed at 50
yd. Opimal zero range is 63 yd, hits within 1" out to 72 yd and is
down 5.5" at 100. Zero at 14 yd achieves the same trajectory.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Never mind. I misread what I wrote down. It was 21 feet instead of
12. I made the adjustments and the scope is now dead-on horizontally
and vertically. It actually seems pretty decently made.

If you set your scope to shoot 0.8" low at 21 feet, it will hit within
+/- 1" of point of aim (POA) at all ranges from 5 to 85 yd. That's
with high-velocity (1260 fps) 40-grain .22 rimfire ammo.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-10-23, Ignoramus22870 wrote:
[...]

Don, thanks for your post. If I start shooting at farther distances, I
will re-zero it at 60 yards. As of now, I am shooting at a much
smaller distance where it is easier to simply adjust the aiming point.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-10-25, Steve W. wrote:
Ignoramus10132 wrote:
[...]

Second that. Stewed with tomatoes and peppers they could be mistaken for
chicken wings and are quite good.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-10-25, Steve W. wrote:
Ignoramus10132 wrote:
As far as vertical goes, I usually try to adjust the scope, so that
when I aim 1.5 inch above the target, I hit the target. This is so
because the scope is 1.5 inches above the rifle bore.

Good way to make sure you miss a lot...

You adjust the cross hairs to be ON target at the distance you are
shooting at. You you have to adjust the point of aim to match the
location along the arc of the bullet at the distance you will be
shooting at. There are VERY few rounds that shoot "flat" .22 isn't one
of them.

Of course it is -- in space. No gravity -- no curve of
trajectory. :-)

I am usually shooting at 10m distance. I had a lot of luck with this
method of adjustment, with my air rifle. I once made 5 shots and his 4
squirrels, 3 of which died instantly.

What you say, makes a lot more sense at greater distances, like 50m or
100m.

And -- of course the trajectory crosses the line of sight twice
-- except at one particular range when the trajectory reaches its peak.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 26 Oct 2010 16:44:19 -0500, Ignoramus12203
wrote:

"Standard" (1050 fps mv) will drop about 7" at 100 yd if zeroed at 50
yd. Opimal zero range is 63 yd, hits within 1" out to 72 yd and is
down 5.5" at 100. Zero at 14 yd achieves the same trajectory.

Don, thanks for your post. If I start shooting at farther distances, I
will re-zero it at 60 yards. As of now, I am shooting at a much
smaller distance where it is easier to simply adjust the aiming point.

It's good to know how to apply "Kentucky windage" because there isn't
always time to fiddle with scope knobs -- and the windage and el
adjustments on most inexpensive scopes don't behave quite as expected
anyway. Knowing where a rifle shoots at various ranges and how to
fudge with Kentucky windage for found conditions is a useful
marksmanship skill.

But you can zero a scope at almost arbitrarily short range if you know
the offset at that range so it'll be set for pointblank zero. Yours
would be -0.8" at 21 feet -- set your scope so POI (point of impact)
is 0.8" below POA at 21 feet.

Verify later at actual ranges desired but that'll get you within
spittin' distance and probably within squirrel-splittin' distance.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 24 Oct 2010 09:05:57 -0700, "Steve B"
wrote:

"Ignoramus22870" wrote

That's an interesting idea, but how accurate are those boresighters?

The main purpose of a boresighter is just to get the gun to shoot on the
paper and save a $20 or so box of shells. When done carefully, they can be
accurate enough, so that when you go to the range, you will save a lot of
shells.

Steve

Right, and .22LR ammo is cheap.

Boresighters that use a chrome-plated stem that fits into the muzzle
can damage the crown and screw up what was an accurate rifle.

It should only take a few rounds to zero a rifle if the scope behaves
ideally. Start at 25 yd (or less) get on the paper with big paper.
The first of those rounds will be a fouling round which doesn't matter
at 25 yd. Zero the scope. Move out to 50, fire 1 round and tweak,
another two rounds if the first round didn't quite feel perfect. Then
move out to 100, fire a 3-round group, zero on the group centroid and
check with another 3 rounds.

Scopes that behave ideally are pricey, north of $500. The difference
in cost is more than the cost of ammo expended to grope with a scope
good enough to hunt, and sniper-class accuracy isn't necessary for
hunting -- except for varmint hunting.