Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Fastening a 1/4" threaded stud

I have a new product project that needs a 1/4-20 threaded stud x 2" long,
attached to a 3/16" thick steel strip. I could just use a bolt but the bolt
head would get in the way. A carriage bolt would work but would involve
punching a square hole in the 3/16" strip. Is there a off-shelf fastener
that I could stake in the strip? I've seen such but what do you call them
and are they standard off-shelf part? Would it be cheaper to bite the
bullet and punch the square hole? (I hate square punches and dies!)

It'll be a cool product and I'll explain all once I get legal status on it.
And, I have a new computer controlled wire wheel machine that is almost
done, it just needs programming and fixturing. WAY COOL! 1k units a day
(on paper) with almost no operator training. We're already starting to make
parts for three more. I could buy such machines from Germany at $180k
each.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Buerste" fired this volley in
:

Is there a off-shelf fastener
that I could stake in the strip?

They don't stake in (but could be). They're variously called "sled bolts"
or "runner bolts". It's basically a flat-head screw (countersunk, of
course), but with no slot.

In a pinch, you could use a flat head bolt, and ignore the slot if it
doesn't compromise the appearance on the opposite side.

LLoyd
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Buerste" wrote in message
[...]

Sounds like what you want is a self-clinching stud such as these:
http://www.pemnet.com/fastening_products/pdf/fhdata.pdf

It looks like they have only a few types that go up to 2" long.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 10/21/2010 04:27 PM, Buerste wrote:
[...]

Damn. I've seen these -- they're sorta kinda a carrage bolt, but with a
knurled shaft instead of square.

PEM makes smaller ones, and may well make the size you want -- I know
PEM nuts and PEM studs from hanging out with mechanical sorts designing
enclosures, but I can't imagine them not doing the same thing in a
bigger size.

Note: It's not going to take oodles and oodles of torque -- turn it too
hard and you'll strip out the hole. But that's life.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

In article ,
"Buerste" wrote:

[...]

Stud welder, and weld-on studs. Simple, quick, cheap enough if you have
the volume to support it.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Oct 21, 9:52*pm, Ecnerwal
Stud welder, and weld-on studs. Simple, quick, cheap enough if you have
the volume to support it.

If not, maybe you could tack-weld the heads of Elevator Bolts.

jsw
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 21 Oct 2010 19:04:50 -0700 (PDT), Jim Wilkins
wrote:

On Oct 21, 9:52*pm, Ecnerwal
Stud welder, and weld-on studs. Simple, quick, cheap enough if you have
the volume to support it.

If not, maybe you could tack-weld the heads of Elevator Bolts.

jsw

If you're going to weld, use your drill press. drill a hole slightly
smaller than the stud. Put stud in drill chuck and drive it in there
with unit running at high speed. Makes a great friction weld. Works
perfect but i wouldn't want to do more than a hundred.

Karl

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Oct 21, 10:43*pm, Karl Townsend
wrote:
On Thu, 21 Oct 2010 19:04:50 -0700 (PDT), Jim Wilkins

wrote:
On Oct 21, 9:52*pm, Ecnerwal
Stud welder, and weld-on studs. Simple, quick, cheap enough if you have
the volume to support it.

If not, maybe you could tack-weld the heads of Elevator Bolts.

jsw

If you're going to weld, use your drill press. drill a hole slightly
smaller than the stud. Put stud in drill chuck and drive it in there
with unit running at high speed. Makes a great friction weld. Works
perfect but i wouldn't want to do more than a hundred.

Karl

I tried on the lathe and couldn't get one to work. When the metal
turned red it bent out of line.

jsw
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Oct 21, 6:41*pm, "anorton"
wrote:

[...]

They're also in McMaster Carr:
http://www.mcmaster.com/#self-clinching-studs/=9doom2
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"anorton" wrote in message
m...

"Buerste" wrote in message
[...]

Give that boy a cookie!

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-10-21, Buerste wrote:
I have a new product project that needs a 1/4-20 threaded stud x 2" long,
attached to a 3/16" thick steel strip. I could just use a bolt but the bolt
head would get in the way. A carriage bolt would work but would involve
punching a square hole in the 3/16" strip. Is there a off-shelf fastener
that I could stake in the strip? I've seen such but what do you call them
and are they standard off-shelf part? Would it be cheaper to bite the
bullet and punch the square hole? (I hate square punches and dies!)

Hmm ... how strong does it need to be?

You might consider using a hefty spot welder to attach the raw
stud end to the strap. It sounds as though you have lots of material.

Or -- you could try "fiction welding". Make a drill chuck to
hold it which has the threads cut in the inside so it will grip firmly
without marring the threads -- spin up to a scary number of RPM, press
down with the feed from the drill press, and when the strap and the end
of the stud start to glow, just switch off the motor -- or release a
clutch, if your drill press has that, and hold it for a short while as
it cools. Then on to the next one.

Spot welding will probably be quicker -- and less sensitive to
the skill of the operator, but the friction welding is more spectacular. :-)

It'll be a cool product and I'll explain all once I get legal status on it.
And, I have a new computer controlled wire wheel machine that is almost
done, it just needs programming and fixturing. WAY COOL! 1k units a day
(on paper) with almost no operator training. We're already starting to make
parts for three more. I could buy such machines from Germany at $180k
each.

O.K. We'll be looking forward to the next report.

Good Luck,
DoN.

--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:
On Thu, 21 Oct 2010 19:04:50 -0700 (PDT), Jim Wilkins

wrote:
On Oct 21, 9:52*pm, Ecnerwal
Stud welder, and weld-on studs. Simple, quick, cheap enough if you have
the volume to support it.

If not, maybe you could tack-weld the heads of Elevator Bolts.

jsw

If you're going to weld, use your drill press. drill a hole slightly
smaller than the stud. Put stud in drill chuck and drive it in there
with unit running at high speed. Makes a great friction weld. Works
perfect but i wouldn't want to do more than a hundred.

Karl

I tried on the lathe and couldn't get one to work. When the metal
turned red it bent out of line.

jsw

higher RPM less time. I made a bunch of hubs and arbors this way.
Once i had the process debugged, all the time was in chucking both
parts. Maybe 2 seconds to weld.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Oct 22, 10:27*am, "Buerste" wrote:
I have a new product project that needs a 1/4-20 threaded stud x 2" long,
attached to a 3/16" thick steel strip.

Would it be really stupid if I suggested cutting allthread to length,
then welding it onto the strip? -

Andrew VK3BFA.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Oct 22, 7:08*am, Karl Townsend
wrote:
On Thu, 21 Oct 2010 20:26:01 -0700 (PDT), Jim Wilkins
I tried on the lathe and couldn't get one to work. When the metal
turned red it bent out of line.

jsw

higher RPM less time. *I made a bunch of hubs and arbors this way.
Once i had the process debugged, all the time was in chucking both
parts. Maybe 2 seconds to weld.

Newer lathe not driven by leather belts?

jsw
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Ecnerwal" wrote in message
In article ,
"Buerste" wrote:

[...]

Yea, that's the key...I have no idea yet what volume level I'll need. I
really don't see more than a couple thousand a month. And, it'll be cost
sensitive, almost an impulse buy.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 10/21/2010 09:42 PM, DoN. Nichols wrote:

Or -- you could try "fiction welding".

Now now -- I think there's been enough of that this election cycle already.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Steve Lusardi" wrote in message
Here is a warning "NEVER ASSUME DEMAND". Experience it. Your opinion of
way cool is not relevant.
Steve

I think you misunderstand. The new product is a separate thing from the
"way cool" new machine that was built to service existing demand. Clones of
the new machine will make different sizes. This replaces my existing six
machines and 50 year old technology that still works well but demands a high
skill level from the operator. It will make wheels cheaper, faster and
better.

Our estimated demand for the new product is only a thousand or so units a
month but the margin will be good.

"Buerste" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Buerste" wrote in message
[...]

except for that pesky programming?

--

Richard Lamb
email me:

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"CaveLamb" wrote in message
m...

except for that pesky programming?

--

Richard Lamb

Lacking foolishness, a rarity for me, I hired a CNC company to build and
program the controls. They also had a couple of my engineers in the loop
from the get-go so they know the system inside and out and will be able to
modify the program. It's fairly simple, with four pneumatic circuits and
two hydraulic circuits. And, they did it all for $2.5k I'll post pix in a
few weeks.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Buerste wrote:
[...]

Tap the hole and "Locktite" in a threaded rod.
I just did this on a chisel sharpening fixture I built.
...lew...
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 23 Oct 2010 08:52:51 -0600, Lewis Hartswick wrote:
Buerste wrote:
[...]

Or thread it in and tack it.

Cheers!
Rich

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Karl Townsend wrote:
If you're going to weld, use your drill press. drill a hole slightly
smaller than the stud. Put stud in drill chuck and drive it in there
with unit running at high speed. Makes a great friction weld. Works
perfect but i wouldn't want to do more than a hundred.

Good idea! (please no disclaimers about how it isn't really YOUR idea.)

How about a for-example? I.e., stud & hole sizes, drill press speed,
how long does it take.

Thanks,
Bob