Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Fastening a 1/4" threaded stud

On 2010-10-21, Buerste wrote:
I have a new product project that needs a 1/4-20 threaded stud x 2" long,
attached to a 3/16" thick steel strip. I could just use a bolt but the bolt
head would get in the way. A carriage bolt would work but would involve
punching a square hole in the 3/16" strip. Is there a off-shelf fastener
that I could stake in the strip? I've seen such but what do you call them
and are they standard off-shelf part? Would it be cheaper to bite the
bullet and punch the square hole? (I hate square punches and dies!)

Hmm ... how strong does it need to be?

You might consider using a hefty spot welder to attach the raw
stud end to the strap. It sounds as though you have lots of material.

Or -- you could try "fiction welding". Make a drill chuck to
hold it which has the threads cut in the inside so it will grip firmly
without marring the threads -- spin up to a scary number of RPM, press
down with the feed from the drill press, and when the strap and the end
of the stud start to glow, just switch off the motor -- or release a
clutch, if your drill press has that, and hold it for a short while as
it cools. Then on to the next one.

Spot welding will probably be quicker -- and less sensitive to
the skill of the operator, but the friction welding is more spectacular. :-)

It'll be a cool product and I'll explain all once I get legal status on it.
And, I have a new computer controlled wire wheel machine that is almost
done, it just needs programming and fixturing. WAY COOL! 1k units a day
(on paper) with almost no operator training. We're already starting to make
parts for three more. I could buy such machines from Germany at $180k
each.

O.K. We'll be looking forward to the next report.

Good Luck,
DoN.

--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564