Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Buerste Buerste is offline

Default Fastening a 1/4" threaded stud

"Steve Lusardi" wrote in message
Here is a warning "NEVER ASSUME DEMAND". Experience it. Your opinion of
way cool is not relevant.
Steve

I think you misunderstand. The new product is a separate thing from the
"way cool" new machine that was built to service existing demand. Clones of
the new machine will make different sizes. This replaces my existing six
machines and 50 year old technology that still works well but demands a high
skill level from the operator. It will make wheels cheaper, faster and
better.

Our estimated demand for the new product is only a thousand or so units a
month but the margin will be good.

"Buerste" wrote in message
I have a new product project that needs a 1/4-20 threaded stud x 2" long,
attached to a 3/16" thick steel strip. I could just use a bolt but the
bolt head would get in the way. A carriage bolt would work but would
involve punching a square hole in the 3/16" strip. Is there a off-shelf
fastener that I could stake in the strip? I've seen such but what do you
call them and are they standard off-shelf part? Would it be cheaper to
bite the bullet and punch the square hole? (I hate square punches and
dies!)

It'll be a cool product and I'll explain all once I get legal status on
it. And, I have a new computer controlled wire wheel machine that is
almost done, it just needs programming and fixturing. WAY COOL! 1k
units a day (on paper) with almost no operator training. We're already
starting to make parts for three more. I could buy such machines from
Germany at $180k each.