Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Buerste Buerste is offline

Default Fastening a 1/4" threaded stud

"anorton" wrote in message
m...

"Buerste" wrote in message
I have a new product project that needs a 1/4-20 threaded stud x 2" long,
attached to a 3/16" thick steel strip. I could just use a bolt but the
bolt head would get in the way. A carriage bolt would work but would
involve punching a square hole in the 3/16" strip. Is there a off-shelf
fastener that I could stake in the strip? I've seen such but what do you
call them and are they standard off-shelf part? Would it be cheaper to
bite the bullet and punch the square hole? (I hate square punches and
dies!)

It'll be a cool product and I'll explain all once I get legal status on
it. And, I have a new computer controlled wire wheel machine that is
almost done, it just needs programming and fixturing. WAY COOL! 1k
units a day (on paper) with almost no operator training. We're already
starting to make parts for three more. I could buy such machines from
Germany at $180k each.

Sounds like what you want is a self-clinching stud such as these:
http://www.pemnet.com/fastening_products/pdf/fhdata.pdf

It looks like they have only a few types that go up to 2" long.

Give that boy a cookie!