Posted to rec.photo.digital,uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.birdwatching

Default 1/4" threaded inserts in UK

In order to build assorted camera gadgets, one
often runs into the hallowed 1/4" x 20 thread.

This is (actually) the old Whitworth standard,
but it's also used in all (smaller than medium format)
size cameras.

Since the UK has followed Europe, and most
connectors use metric threads, I am struggling
to find a source for these:

http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...,43455&p=52800

Note the wide range of knobs, nuts, buts,
threaded inserts etc.

Can anyone advise me of a mail-order source
for anything similar in the UK with sane
prices (including postage)?

BugBear
Posted to rec.photo.digital,uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.birdwatching

bugbear wrote:
In order to build assorted camera gadgets, one
often runs into the hallowed 1/4" x 20 thread.

This is (actually) the old Whitworth standard,
but it's also used in all (smaller than medium format)
size cameras.

Since the UK has followed Europe, and most
connectors use metric threads, I am struggling
to find a source for these:

http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...,43455&p=52800

Note the wide range of knobs, nuts, buts,
threaded inserts etc.

Can anyone advise me of a mail-order source
for anything similar in the UK with sane
prices (including postage)?

BugBear

A thread adapter for the camera maybe?

http://www.morrisphoto.co.uk/Product...oryid~149.html

Posted to rec.photo.digital,uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.birdwatching

"bugbear" wrote in message
In order to build assorted camera gadgets, one
often runs into the hallowed 1/4" x 20 thread.

This is (actually) the old Whitworth standard,
but it's also used in all (smaller than medium format)
size cameras.

Since the UK has followed Europe, and most
connectors use metric threads, I am struggling
to find a source for these:

http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...,43455&p=52800

Note the wide range of knobs, nuts, buts,
threaded inserts etc.

Can anyone advise me of a mail-order source
for anything similar in the UK with sane
prices (including postage)?

BugBear

That link do international orders so its worth emailing them for a quote on
selected items.

Sometimes it works out cheaper to buy from the US than the UK

Posted to rec.photo.digital,uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.birdwatching

bugbear wrote:
In order to build assorted camera gadgets, one
often runs into the hallowed 1/4" x 20 thread.

This is (actually) the old Whitworth standard,
but it's also used in all (smaller than medium format)
size cameras.

The 1/4 -20 UNC thread used in camera mounts is an Unified National
Coarse thread having a 60 degree included thread angle with flat crest
and root forms. The 1/4" Whitworth thread has the same basic diameter
and pitch but the thread form has a 55 degree included angle with
radiused crest and root forms. The two are not the same and while the
threads may mate the strength of the mismatched threads is severely
compromised.

Since the UK has followed Europe, and most
connectors use metric threads, I am struggling
to find a source for these:

http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...,43455&p=52800

Note the wide range of knobs, nuts, buts,
threaded inserts etc.

Can anyone advise me of a mail-order source
for anything similar in the UK with sane
prices (including postage)?

BugBear

Posted to rec.photo.digital,uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.birdwatching

George wrote:
"bugbear" wrote in message

http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...,43455&p=52800

Note the wide range of knobs, nuts, buts,
threaded inserts etc.

Can anyone advise me of a mail-order source
for anything similar in the UK with sane
prices (including postage)?

BugBear

That link do international orders so its worth emailing them for a quote on
selected items.

Sometimes it works out cheaper to buy from the US than the UK

Indeed. So far I don't even have a UK
source to compare to!!

I've ordered from Lee Valley before; tremendously
nice people to deal with.

But going transatlantic for a nut!?!

That's just *wrong*

BugBear

Posted to rec.photo.digital,uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.birdwatching

"bugbear" wrote in message
George wrote:
"bugbear" wrote in message

http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...,43455&p=52800

Note the wide range of knobs, nuts, buts,
threaded inserts etc.

Can anyone advise me of a mail-order source
for anything similar in the UK with sane
prices (including postage)?

BugBear

That link do international orders so its worth emailing them for a quote

on
selected items.

Sometimes it works out cheaper to buy from the US than the UK

Indeed. So far I don't even have a UK
source to compare to!!

I've ordered from Lee Valley before; tremendously
nice people to deal with.

But going transatlantic for a nut!?!

That's just *wrong*

BugBear

Well buy a few pieces...you never know when you might need em. :-)

Posted to rec.photo.digital,uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.birdwatching

"George" wrote in message
. uk...

"bugbear" wrote in message
George wrote:
"bugbear" wrote in message

http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...,43455&p=52800

Note the wide range of knobs, nuts, buts,
threaded inserts etc.

Can anyone advise me of a mail-order source
for anything similar in the UK with sane
prices (including postage)?

BugBear

That link do international orders so its worth emailing them for a
quote

on
selected items.

Sometimes it works out cheaper to buy from the US than the UK

Indeed. So far I don't even have a UK
source to compare to!!

I've ordered from Lee Valley before; tremendously
nice people to deal with.

But going transatlantic for a nut!?!

That's just *wrong*

BugBear

Well buy a few pieces...you never know when you might need em. :-)

1/4 Whitworth nuts and bolts? Look in Dad's/Granddad's shed/garage. I have
just been in the garage and fetched my old tins down and found 1/4 Whitworth
nuts and bolts with no trouble at all. :-))

Mike
(Granddad)

Posted to rec.photo.digital,uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.birdwatching
R R is offline

"bugbear" wrote in message
In order to build assorted camera gadgets, one
often runs into the hallowed 1/4" x 20 thread.

This is (actually) the old Whitworth standard,
but it's also used in all (smaller than medium format)
size cameras.

Since the UK has followed Europe, and most
connectors use metric threads, I am struggling
to find a source for these:

http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...,43455&p=52800

Note the wide range of knobs, nuts, buts,
threaded inserts etc.

Can anyone advise me of a mail-order source
for anything similar in the UK with sane
prices (including postage)?

http://search.ebay.co.uk/search/sear...F4+whit worth

Posted to rec.photo.digital,uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.birdwatching

On Mon, 01 Oct 2007 18:41:02 +0100, 'Mike' wrote:

"George" wrote in message
. uk...

"bugbear" wrote in message
George wrote:
"bugbear" wrote in message

[...]

Could also try 'Tracys Tools' for taps and die.

--
Neil
Posted to rec.photo.digital,uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.birdwatching

On Mon, 01 Oct 2007 16:49:36 +0100, bugbear
wrote:

George wrote:
"bugbear" wrote in message

http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...,43455&p=52800

Note the wide range of knobs, nuts, buts,
threaded inserts etc.

Can anyone advise me of a mail-order source
for anything similar in the UK with sane
prices (including postage)?

BugBear

That link do international orders so its worth emailing them for a quote on
selected items.

Sometimes it works out cheaper to buy from the US than the UK

Indeed. So far I don't even have a UK
source to compare to!!

I've ordered from Lee Valley before; tremendously
nice people to deal with.

But going transatlantic for a nut!?!

That's just *wrong*

That's metrication for you :-)

--
Frank Erskine

Posted to rec.photo.digital,uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.birdwatching

bugbear wrote:
In order to build assorted camera gadgets, one
often runs into the hallowed 1/4" x 20 thread.

This is (actually) the old Whitworth standard,
but it's also used in all (smaller than medium format)
size cameras.

Since the UK has followed Europe, and most
connectors use metric threads, I am struggling
to find a source for these:

http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...,43455&p=52800

Note the wide range of knobs, nuts, buts,
threaded inserts etc.

Can anyone advise me of a mail-order source
for anything similar in the UK with sane
prices (including postage)?

BugBear

What's wrong with buying them from LeeValley?

Posted to rec.photo.digital,uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.birdwatching

In article ,
bugbear wrote:
In order to build assorted camera gadgets, one
often runs into the hallowed 1/4" x 20 thread.

This is (actually) the old Whitworth standard,
but it's also used in all (smaller than medium format)
size cameras.

Since the UK has followed Europe, and most
connectors use metric threads, I am struggling
to find a source for these:

http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...,43455&p=52800

Note the wide range of knobs, nuts, buts,
threaded inserts etc.

Can anyone advise me of a mail-order source
for anything similar in the UK with sane
prices (including postage)?

It's actually UNC rather than Whitworth - but the diameter and threads
per inch are the same. The thread profile is different, though, so best to
use the correct thing.

Microphone stands use the same size thread - so that gives you another
source.

But classic cars do too - so if you want nuts and bolts you could try a
supplier for those.

One is Mr Fast'ner who advertises them in a variety of materials. No
e-mail I can find - only a phone number. 02476 688000 for a free catalogue.

--
*The problem with the world is that everyone is a few drinks behind *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to rec.photo.digital,uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.birdwatching
Pat Pat is offline

On Oct 1, 11:49 am, bugbear wrote:
George wrote:
"bugbear" wrote in message

http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...,43455&p=52800

Note the wide range of knobs, nuts, buts,
threaded inserts etc.

Can anyone advise me of a mail-order source
for anything similar in the UK with sane
prices (including postage)?

BugBear

That link do international orders so its worth emailing them for a quote on
selected items.

Sometimes it works out cheaper to buy from the US than the UK

Indeed. So far I don't even have a UK
source to compare to!!

I've ordered from Lee Valley before; tremendously
nice people to deal with.

But going transatlantic for a nut!?!

That's just *wrong*

BugBear

for a cost comparison, here are some US prices.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...temnumber=9629

Posted to rec.photo.digital,uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.birdwatching

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
Microphone stands use the same size thread - so that gives you
another
source.

I heard that many lamps that have the screw-on lampshades also will
work - have not been able to verify it

Posted to rec.photo.digital,uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.birdwatching

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote:

It's actually UNC rather than Whitworth

Do you have a reference for this? My 1969 edition
Focal Encylopedia says Whitworth. I suppose
that the standard could have changed since then,
but it would be nice to have a reference.

Peter.

Posted to rec.photo.digital,uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.birdwatching
Pat Pat is offline

On Oct 1, 9:48 am, bugbear wrote:
In order to build assorted camera gadgets, one
often runs into the hallowed 1/4" x 20 thread.

This is (actually) the old Whitworth standard,
but it's also used in all (smaller than medium format)
size cameras.

Since the UK has followed Europe, and most
connectors use metric threads, I am struggling
to find a source for these:

http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...,43455&p=52800

Note the wide range of knobs, nuts, buts,
threaded inserts etc.

Can anyone advise me of a mail-order source
for anything similar in the UK with sane
prices (including postage)?

BugBear

If you really need an assortment of nuts and bolts and washers and
such, let me know through this thread or through an email. For a few
buck I can go to the local hardware store and grab some stuff and you
can reimburse me through paypal or something.

Posted to rec.photo.digital,uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.birdwatching

"Peter Irwin" wrote in message
Do you have a reference for this? My 1969 edition
Focal Encylopedia says Whitworth. I suppose
that the standard could have changed since then,
but it would be nice to have a reference.

There are two official standards for tripod threads (look them up) a

DIN Standard:
DIN4503 (1993-10) which specifies 1/4-20UNC

ISO Standard:
ISO 1222:1987 and ISO 1222:2003 specify 1/4-20UNC and 3/8-16UNC. The
official standard has been 1/4-20UNC since 1972 when ISO1222 was first
published.

and of course Wikipedia says Whitworth:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Screw#Whitworth
and Wikipedia is the absolute reference of truth!

It would appear that anything newer should be UNC, stuff older than 1972
could be Whitworth.

Posted to rec.photo.digital,uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.birdwatching

default wrote:
"Peter Irwin" wrote in message
Do you have a reference for this? My 1969 edition
Focal Encylopedia says Whitworth. I suppose
that the standard could have changed since then,
but it would be nice to have a reference.

There are two official standards for tripod threads (look them up) a

DIN Standard:
DIN4503 (1993-10) which specifies 1/4-20UNC

ISO Standard:
ISO 1222:1987 and ISO 1222:2003 specify 1/4-20UNC and 3/8-16UNC. The
official standard has been 1/4-20UNC since 1972 when ISO1222 was first
published.

and of course Wikipedia says Whitworth:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Screw#Whitworth
and Wikipedia is the absolute reference of truth!

If you can get me an online version of those standards,
I'll edit wikipedia. That's rather the point of wikipedia!

BugBear
Posted to rec.photo.digital,uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.birdwatching

On 1 Oct, 15:48, bugbear wrote:
In order to build assorted camera gadgets, one
often runs into the hallowed 1/4" x 20 thread.

This is (actually) the old Whitworth standard,
but it's also used in all (smaller than medium format)
size cameras.

Since the UK has followed Europe, and most
connectors use metric threads, I am struggling
to find a source for these:

http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...,43455&p=52800

Note the wide range of knobs, nuts, buts,
threaded inserts etc.

Can anyone advise me of a mail-order source
for anything similar in the UK with sane
prices (including postage)?

BugBear

Get a mini camera stand and cannibalise it? They're selling for 99p +
p&p on eBay, so probably available at pound shops. The one I have here
won't take the weight of my camera, but the screw boss looks pretty
sturdy. Not really a "sane price" compared with a screw, but if your
gadget can use any of the adjustable bits as well ...

Chris

Posted to rec.photo.digital,uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.birdwatching

On Oct 1, 2:48 pm, bugbear wrote:
In order to build assorted camera gadgets, one
often runs into the hallowed 1/4" x 20 thread.

This is (actually) the old Whitworth standard,
but it's also used in all (smaller than medium format)
size cameras.

Since the UK has followed Europe, and most
connectors use metric threads, I am struggling
to find a source for these:

http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...,43455&p=52800

Note the wide range of knobs, nuts, buts,
threaded inserts etc.

Can anyone advise me of a mail-order source
for anything similar in the UK with sane
prices (including postage)?

You don't say where abouts you are in the UK, but the best place to
ask is in the model engineering groups and/or the UK astronomy group
uk.sci.astronomy (where a few engineers hang out). You can usually
find someone locally in the Yellow pages to sell (or on a good day
give) you a few odd sized bolts. On Teesside there is a pretty handy
bolt shop in Yarm industrial estate behind the various car dealers
(their name escapes me). Little back street engineering places like
that tend not to have a web presence and at best have a one line entry
in the phone book.

Regards,
Martin Brown

Posted to rec.photo.digital,uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.birdwatching

In article 0goMi.36735$x%6.22042@pd7urf2no,
default wrote:
It would appear that anything newer should be UNC, stuff older than 1972
could be Whitworth.

Might it depend where it originated? The UK was never *the* major camera
maker or indeed market. So UNC - which mainly came from American Coarse
might have been used then.

--
*A hangover is the wrath of grapes.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to rec.photo.digital,uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.birdwatching

default wrote:
"Peter Irwin" wrote in message
Do you have a reference for this? My 1969 edition
Focal Encylopedia says Whitworth. I suppose
that the standard could have changed since then,
but it would be nice to have a reference.

There are two official standards for tripod threads (look them up) a

DIN Standard:
DIN4503 (1993-10) which specifies 1/4-20UNC

ISO Standard:
ISO 1222:1987 and ISO 1222:2003 specify 1/4-20UNC and 3/8-16UNC. The
official standard has been 1/4-20UNC since 1972 when ISO1222 was first
published.

and of course Wikipedia says Whitworth:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Screw#Whitworth
and Wikipedia is the absolute reference of truth!

Thanks. Wikipedia is often based on old reference sources.
It isn't hard to find sources that say that tripod
screws are Whitworth. It is useful to know that the
standard since 1972 says UNC.

Peter.

Posted to rec.photo.digital,uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.birdwatching

"Peter Irwin" wrote in message
Thanks. Wikipedia is often based on old reference sources.

It isn't hard to find sources that say that tripod
screws are Whitworth. It is useful to know that the
standard since 1972 says UNC.

Remember that lots of things don't follow the standards or follow
conventions instead and not every company just instantly switched over
because ISO decided to publish a standards document. I'm sure there is lots
of whitworth stuff out there, possibly to this day, I don't know. My own
tripods and monopod are clearly UNC.

Posted to rec.photo.digital,uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.birdwatching

Mark wrote:

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message

Microphone stands use the same size thread - so that gives you another
source.

I heard that many lamps that have the screw-on lampshades also will work
- have not been able to verify it

That is correct. Many fennels are 1/4-20 UNC.

Posted to rec.photo.digital,uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.birdwatching

On Tue, 2 Oct 2007 02:29:17 +0000 (UTC), Peter Irwin
wrote:

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote:

It's actually UNC rather than Whitworth

Do you have a reference for this? My 1969 edition
Focal Encylopedia says Whitworth. I suppose
that the standard could have changed since then,
but it would be nice to have a reference.

The ANSI Unified thread wasn't a standard until 1949. Lots of cameras
before then had 1/4" tripod bushes so they must've been BSW...

--
Frank Erskine
Posted to rec.photo.digital,uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.birdwatching

wrote:

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote:

It's actually UNC rather than Whitworth

Do you have a reference for this? My 1969 edition
Focal Encylopedia says Whitworth. I suppose
that the standard could have changed since then,
but it would be nice to have a reference.

The ANSI Unified thread wasn't a standard until 1949. Lots of cameras
before then had 1/4" tripod bushes so they must've been BSW...

Don't let facts get in the way of a good pedantic argument
Frank. As I said earlier I have lots of camera-related items
that demonstrably have BSW threads, others that have UNC,
and I've yet to have any problems of any sort interchanging
the two.

This application is hardly heavy engineering, the thead
differences are completely insignificant for photographic
purposes.

--
John Bean
Posted to rec.photo.digital,uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.birdwatching

wrote:

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote:

It's actually UNC rather than Whitworth

Do you have a reference for this? My 1969 edition
Focal Encylopedia says Whitworth. I suppose
that the standard could have changed since then,
but it would be nice to have a reference.

The ANSI Unified thread wasn't a standard until 1949. Lots of cameras
before then had 1/4" tripod bushes so they must've been BSW...

Don't let facts get in the way of a good pedantic argument
Frank. As I said earlier I have lots of camera-related items
that demonstrably have BSW threads, others that have UNC,
and I've yet to have any problems of any sort interchanging
the two.

They both have the same pitch its just a minor difference in the shape of
the thread.
I think UNC bolts fit into BSW holes OK but I am not so sure the reverse is
true.
As the cameras are BSW it works fine.

This application is hardly heavy engineering, the thead
differences are completely insignificant for photographic
purposes.

As you say you aren't going to over tighten a 1/4" bolt using you fingers so
its pretty much academic for a tripod on a normal camera.
(That's not to say you can't damage a plastic tripod bush or even a metal
one by putting in a bolt that too long.)

Posted to rec.photo.digital,uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.birdwatching

On Sun, 7 Oct 2007 12:35:26 +0100, "dennis@home"
wrote:

"John Bean" wrote in message
.. .
As I said earlier I have lots of camera-related items
that demonstrably have BSW threads, others that have UNC,
and I've yet to have any problems of any sort interchanging
the two.

They both have the same pitch its just a minor difference in the shape of
the thread.
I think UNC bolts fit into BSW holes OK but I am not so sure the reverse is
true.

It is true.

As the cameras are BSW it works fine.

I very much doubt that. Old cameras certainly are if they
were made before UNC existed, but I'd be surprised if modern
ones are BSW. Surely the camera thread and tripod thread are
intended to be the same?

This application is hardly heavy engineering, the thead
differences are completely insignificant for photographic
purposes.

As you say you aren't going to over tighten a 1/4" bolt using you fingers so
its pretty much academic for a tripod on a normal camera.

Exactly my point.

(That's not to say you can't damage a plastic tripod bush or even a metal
one by putting in a bolt that too long.)

Of course length matters, but that's another topic
altogether :-)

--
John Bean
Posted to rec.photo.digital,uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.birdwatching

wrote:

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote:

It's actually UNC rather than Whitworth

Do you have a reference for this? My 1969 edition
Focal Encylopedia says Whitworth. I suppose
that the standard could have changed since then,
but it would be nice to have a reference.

The ANSI Unified thread wasn't a standard until 1949. Lots of cameras
before then had 1/4" tripod bushes so they must've been BSW...

Unified is based on American threads - so UNC basically American Coarse.
Although there are differences explained earlier.

But why do you think older camera accessories would use a UK thread? The
UK wasn't the major maker of cameras, etc.

--
*I am a nobody, and nobody is perfect; therefore I am perfect*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to rec.photo.digital,uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.birdwatching

On Sun, 07 Oct 2007 14:25:56 +0100, "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:
But why do you think older camera accessories would use a UK thread? The
UK wasn't the major maker of cameras, etc.

Because your assumtion is wrong, leading to:

1. Because the Whitworth thread was the first standard
thread in the world[1].

2. Because English camera makers started to use it almost
immediately[2] and other European makers followed.

Notes:
[1] First proposed as a standard by Joseph Whitworth in
1841.

[2] Example: P. Meagher, London had 3/8W tripod mounts on
their "Tailboard" cameras certainly by 1874, perhaps
earlier.

--
John Bean