Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Karl Townsend Karl Townsend is offline

Default Fastening a 1/4" threaded stud

On Thu, 21 Oct 2010 20:26:01 -0700 (PDT), Jim Wilkins
wrote:

On Oct 21, 10:43*pm, Karl Townsend
wrote:
On Thu, 21 Oct 2010 19:04:50 -0700 (PDT), Jim Wilkins

wrote:
On Oct 21, 9:52*pm, Ecnerwal
Stud welder, and weld-on studs. Simple, quick, cheap enough if you have
the volume to support it.

If not, maybe you could tack-weld the heads of Elevator Bolts.

jsw

If you're going to weld, use your drill press. drill a hole slightly
smaller than the stud. Put stud in drill chuck and drive it in there
with unit running at high speed. Makes a great friction weld. Works
perfect but i wouldn't want to do more than a hundred.

Karl

I tried on the lathe and couldn't get one to work. When the metal
turned red it bent out of line.

jsw

higher RPM less time. I made a bunch of hubs and arbors this way.
Once i had the process debugged, all the time was in chucking both
parts. Maybe 2 seconds to weld.